Putting New Life Into Old Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along a suggestion regarding riding boots. I have a pair of BMW touring boots that I purchased many years ago. They are very comfortable, they keep the water out and they have held up well. However, a few weeks back I noticed that I have worn through the sole of one of the boots, up near the toe. Other than the new hole, the rest of the boot was in great condition. I started to fret over the prospect of having to sink another $250+ into a replacement. I was driving to work on Monday, when I noticed a shoe repair shop close to my office. I have seen it a hundred times, but now it really caught my attention. During lunch, I took the boots over and had the owner take a look at them. He disappeared into the back room for a few minutes and came back with a selection of soles in hand. Most had thick, heavy lugs that didn't look right. The last sole he showed me was much thinner and the tread pattern was a close match to my boot. He said it would cost $50 for the pair and that included a good cleaning and polish. I dropped off the boots on Wednesday and picked them up today. I can't tell you how pleased I am. They looked brand new. He did a great job gluing the new soles onto the foot beds.

So for $50, I have a pair of new looking boots that should give me at least a couple more years of service, if not more. I have never had shoes resoled before, but I'm a big fan of the process now. Take a look if you find yourself in the same boot. :)

F$#%, you're killing me! NO SHIT -- this is my situation right now:

I left my three seasons boots at just such a place for just such a repair last week, noting that I HAD to have them by today, because I'm riding to Canada Tuesday morning for 2 weeks. Said that if he can't get them back to me by then, tell me and I'll bring them in after I get back. "No problem" he says, but I swear I had a premonition.

So yesterday, he posts a note on the shop saying that there was an emergencey and he won't be in. Same thing again today. Left 3 answering machine messages so far -- no response. I'm F'ed now and trying to think where I can spend $250 to $300 for a pair of non-perforated riding boots today or tomorrow. Most of the motorcycle shops and MC gear shops around here have gone out of business, so even that piece is difficult. Like money grows on trees and I have extra time between now and Tuesday morning!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize this was news to anyone :rolleyes: doesn't everyone do this?

I purchased a pair of Bates boots at Americade in '94 that I absolutely loved. They were the most comfortable boot I ever had. Lucky for me their was a shoemaker right next door to my office. Over the years he re-soled / re-heeled them many times. It was only a couple of years ago I had to finally replace them as I could no longer keep them waterproof.

btw iirc he charged me about $20 for soles and the same for heels - they never needed both at one time.

Uh, yeah. The only problem really is that there seems to be less and less of these talented folks around now-a-days. When I was 21-22 there were several repair shops in my area. Now 33 years later, the number seems to have fallen to just one.

So , let your fingers do the walking I guess, they are not extinct yet.

KM

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. Holy crap...I love the shoe repair guy. I have a couple pairs of boots that I have had re-soled five times each. The upper finally gave out on one pair after 15 years, and the other pair has been semi-retired for different styles of boots.

However, I did have them fix a pair of Hi-Techs for me the other day that were getting a small hole in the side at a seam. $8 and you would never know a hole had been there unless you really looked.

Schweet.

My Chippewas (great boots) are going in this week!

IMG_0443.jpg

For an extra $40, I'm gettin' the deluxe renewal.

BootsKiss.jpg

I left my three seasons boots at just such a place for just such a repair last week, noting that I HAD to have them by today, because I'm riding to Canada Tuesday morning for 2 weeks. Said that if he can't get them back to me by then, tell me and I'll bring them in after I get back. "No problem" he says, but I swear I had a premonition.

So yesterday, he posts a note on the shop saying that there was an emergencey and he won't be in. Same thing again today. Left 3 answering machine messages so far -- no response. I'm F'ed now and trying to think where I can spend $250 to $300 for a pair of non-perforated riding boots today or tomorrow. Most of the motorcycle shops and MC gear shops around here have gone out of business, so even that piece is difficult. Like money grows on trees and I have extra time between now and Tuesday morning!!
Wally world $42.00 and really waterproof. comfy too. At least you wont be out so many bucks and theres a wally world everywhere.

My wife bought a pair 2 years ago and her feet haven't got wet yet. So since I am a cheap bastage ;) I opted to go that route and try it this year.

Just my sugestion.

Dave

The same thing goes for gloves. I've taken numerous pairs of riding gloves in to my local leather guy. He has sewn finger liners in so that they don't pull out when they are soaked with perspiration and I try to de-glove without turning them inside out. He has taken gloves that have begun to turn grey from hours of riding in the sun and made them jet black again. Finally, he has sewn up stitching that has split the finger seams of my heavy cold weather Tourmaster touring gloves and made them once again water proof.

Magic I tell ya, just plain magic! :ph34r:

Wally world $42.00 and really waterproof. comfy too. At least you wont be out so many bucks and theres a wally world everywhere.

My wife bought a pair 2 years ago and her feet haven't got wet yet. So since I am a cheap bastage ;) I opted to go that route and try it this year.

Just my sugestion.

Dave
Big 5, "WATERPROOF" boots on sale for $19. I thought, what a joke, but for less than $20 I gave them a try. Turned out to be a very comfortable boot and they actually are waterproof, no wringing out of the socks after a wet days ride. My feet can get cold but at least they stay dry. They are "Response Gear" model 1026.

Was that the place near High St and Elm Ave? I've used in the past and they did great work. Of course that was about 15 years ago.

Was that the place near High St and Elm Ave? I've used in the past and they did great work. Of course that was about 15 years ago.
Nope -- that's who I used to go to, and I agree they were good -- but they're gone. This one is on the west side of 49 between Edgewood and Nevada Street, next to the Stihl and Husky saw place.

Looks like I'm buying new boots tomorrow morning. First time in all my years getting shoes and boots repaired or resoled that anything like this has happened. Since this seems to be the only shoe repair shop left in Auburn, I'm gonna ask OM where he gets his done and have to drive down the hill for decent service from now on. Can hardly wait to see what he wants to charge me for my boots when I get back in a couple weeks.

I'll be bucking the norms, again, :sigh: by saying most motobike boots these days don't offer all that much more protection than a good pair of work boots. Sure, the work boots look dorky, but then again I ride with a MX helmet and boots on the Harley all the time.. :lol:

Well all of the shoe repair has been out sourced maybe to ???

Exskibum you should have come to Woodland.,And taken them to Emils shoes on maint street, ( he is rides also ) would of had them when you wanted them.. Now you have a new place for repair.

Have a great trip up north.... :scooter:

weekend rider

I still wear my grandfather's old boots that he got when he was a young man. I just had the seventh set of heels and soles put on them. The uppers have been replaced at least three times too. Good ol' shoe repair guys, huh?

<snip>Big 5, "WATERPROOF" boots on sale for $19. I thought, what a joke, but for less than $20 I gave them a try. Turned out to be a very comfortable boot and they actually are waterproof, no wringing out of the socks after a wet days ride. My feet can get cold but at least they stay dry. They are "Response Gear" model 1026.
Do they come in size 16 AAA ?

Sasquatch Brodie

I have all of my shoes resoled and why should this be any different for my motorcycle boots. I own the Daytona Roadstar GTX boots and I am sending them back to the mnfg to get new soles. They want $125 and I know this is expensive but I want them the way I bought them. Great boots.