Q-Bond impressive adhesive/filler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman

When Life Throws You A Curve..... Lean Into It
Reaction score
If this has already been covered, please accept my apology. I searched and couldn't find it and did want to share it with the other members.

I bought a new headlight assembly (2007) off of Ebay for $150 (new). One problem, one of the attachment tabs had broken off. Started doing some searching and found a guy on Youtube using "qbond" and it was amazing. It literally welded plastic together.

Here's what it did for me and it is locked on hard. It might break tomorrow, but I'm impressed for the moment. When the superglue and the "powder" make contact it smokes and welds itself to your project. I bought this kit for $14 off of Ebay.

EDIT:

This product is not the high quality adhesive and filler that I initially thought it was. I'll have to go with my friend's suggestion and use the Devcon adhesive with some fiberglass. I'm trying it out today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used that stuff, too. It works pretty good, and is reasonably strong.

I have also had success with Devcon Plastic Welder. It's a two-part epoxy, and can be reinforced with fiberglass for seriously strong repairs to ABS and other plastics..

PlasticWelder.jpg

I have a 1050 Sprint as well as the FJR and was in the process of some 'fettling' and removed the side panels. The lower mounting, which has two brackets , were in a right state. I found Q Bond and a similar product called Plastex and set about sticking everything back together. It did the job well and with some reinforcement with ABS and pipe solvent the whole mount is far sturdier. Looking at the picture did you V groove the join? This provides a much stronger bond when you put in the filler powder and glue?

And then just when I was about finished I caught the reflector on the FJR which stands proud below the rear number plate and broke it off. I again used the Q Bond and created an almost invisible join. It sets as soon as the glue is added which means no holding parts whilst they bond BUT you only get one chance. Had to dimantle the rear of the bike to get the mudguard out for the repair which was a pain.

Last edited by a moderator: