Question about charging mail-order batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've never bought a battery via mail-order. Question is: do they come already charged, or are they just off the shelf, and I need to trickle-charge them before using?

I always charge a new battery (even if bought locally) before putting it into service. I use a variable rate charger that reduces the amperage as the battery tops itself off. More than likely a battery bought via mailorder would still contain enough charge to start your engine, but if you have the time and inclination, top off the charge before putting it into service.

Yuasa corporation in their technical manual recommends always charging a new battery. They state that a standard battery out of the box and just adding acid will only be at 80% of its charge. Whenever I get a new battery, mail order dry, or retail with the acid already installed I always put it on a charger to bring it up to 100% before installing it.

NYPete

The FJR battery will not come 'dry' (you will not add acid) -- it's a factory-fill, sealed, maintenence-free battery. It'll be "hot" and ready-to-go when you take it out of the box.

If you'd like to check it (just to make sure everything's ok) a digital voltmeter reading of 12.8 volts is what you're looking for. Your new battery will, most likely, read that.

In case it doesn't (rare?) -- a little charge will most likely get it there (and it should be done -- your FJR needs a 12.8V battery....).

Legally, batteries are shipped dry. However, sealed batteries may be a different story.

If it is not a sealed battery, then follow the following:

In aviation we would fill them with the supplied acid using a paper funnel. Begin a normal charge. Monitor acid level frequently and fill as necessary. Continue charging until you reach approx 14V.

Being sealed batteries, not sure how it will be sent to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, according to YUASA the AGM batteries(Yamaha type) are shipped dry with a container of special high-gravity acid. SEE HERE. But yet, their page for the FJR 1300 2003-2007 battery, YT14B-4 (YT14B-BS) shows that it's factory activated. They have a lot of good information about battery specs, charging and care in their technical manual HERE

NYPete

Pete, Thanks for the info. Yep, that's the current info from an American company that sells Yuasa batteries. That's not the kind of battery that comes in an FJR. It might work, tho -- but, imo, the 'factory fills' are better. I'd opt for one of them -- Yuasa, or not.

Not that those are bad -- but, my experience has shown that 'factory fill', sealed, are superior in the short & long-run. ymmv :)

Sport, The battery for the FJR (like came with your bike when new) will come with the acid in it and sealed and all charged-up and ready to 'rock and roll'.

It probably can't be air-shipped (but, probably neither could the 'old-style' -- acid packed next to it-style?). :unsure:

I got my Westco from Bikeeffects.comI installed it, hooked up the tender and the light went immediately green (indicating it was charged).
My Yamaha Royal Star factory battery lasted 5 years. I replaced it with a Yuasa's Maintenance Free battery via mail order, shipped dry with acid. Once filled I sealed the battery and I put it on a charger for a couple hours It was 6 years old and still working fine when I sold the bike in August. My other bike, a Kawi ZX-6E had a battery over 7 years old and working fine when I sold that bike after getting the FJR. I ride about 11 months a year in VA.

For non-fjr batteries that require you to add the acid, always let the battery sit for several hours, like overnight, before putting it on the charger. This, according to many bike mag articles, will prolong the life of the battery.

"are shipped dry with a container of special high-gravity acid. "

Damn, I'm staying away from that shit, 1G is enough for me. :huh:

I failed to put my battery on a charger for about 3 months. I hooked a battery-tender to it 5 days ago and the light is still red. Did I fark my battery?

I failed to put my battery on a charger for about 3 months. I hooked a battery-tender to it 5 days ago and the light is still red. Did I fark my battery?
I read somewhere that if the battery is completely dead it may need a stronger initial charge to get it going, then top it off with the Battery Tender.