Question about Cold Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
We woke up early this morning to drive from Crater Lake to Portland and when I looked at the gague it showed 28 degrees. Further up the road it dropped a little more to 26 degrees. Question: Is the handling that much different in the cold weather or was it me? I was having troble keeping a clean line through the turns and keeping the bike where I wanted it. I was fully loaded riding 2-up but that is how we have been ridding for the last 1000 or so miles.

Tire air pressure drops about 1 psi per 10 degrees Farenheit, that would affect the handling. Filling the tires with nitrogen keeps the air pressure constant at any temperature. I would still be careful until the tires get warmed up.

At those temps, I'm more concerned with the possiblity of ice on the road than with cornering ability.

Shouldn't take very long for the tires to warm up. However, I bet a really cold road depending on type of road surface type could play a role in traction.

Interesting.

I think it depends on tire compound more than anything else.

I run a Metzler ME880 for long boring interstate drones. In the wet and cold, this tire sucks.

I have over 5,000 now on a set of PRII's and haven't noticed any 'cold tire syndrome' you describe. Then again I've not been in less than 40 degrees F either.

Last winter I ran a set of Avon Storms in 19 - 28 F each morning on the way to work. They too seemed to work OK in the cold once on warmed up by the road.

I changed to the ME880 during that cold patch and wasn't too pleased.

That's what makes me think it's more tire compound dependent than anything else.

Certainly, your handling is affected by the environment. When it's really cold out, tires will warm up slowly, and may never reach optimum temp. You are also affected by the cold. You're looking at 26-28F, plus windchill. You probably aren't quite as spry as you are at 78F.

Adverse conditions should always be treated with care.

what is this "cold weather" of which you speak? :)

maybe I need to ride father north or something. My FJR hasn't seen below 30 degrees and that was one night in the dead of "winter" here..

Bay Area, CA. Home of the Year Round Riding Weather

My Diablo Stradas do done fine in the teens when the road surface is about that same temperature. I commute to work and go on rides with the temperature in this range. I slow down and don't push as hard because the tires never fully get up to temperature. I've never slipped this brand of tire due to cold, nor have I kept increasing my performance envelope until I did get slip.

I've had some performance rubber that would be like grease even in mid 70 degree air temperature until they got good 'n hot.

..... Filling the tires with nitrogen keeps the air pressure constant at any temperature. .............

Where you get that information??

LOL

NASCAR Information:

Fundamentally, air, oxygen and nitrogen will all behave exactly the same, in terms of just how much pressure will change for each 10 degrees of temperature change....

KM

I do notice my PRII a little slippery at lean if I hit a peint line when they are cold (yesterday, cold for summer was 69 deg) but after 1-2 minutes they seem to be good to go.

I have @@ 7Kish on my PRII's now... Getting ready to look into another set.. I wold not hesitate to buy another PRII but might try the RoadSmarts for fun

All I know is, Michelin Pilot Roads don't stick worth crap when it's 14 degrees. Especially with 70 or so psi. :blink:

70psi????? :unsure:

You might not even have to fall down to go boom. You'll just do it in the garage. :download: I know you're pumped about the FJR but thats a little overinflated dont you think. Try 38/40.

My Diablo Stradas do done fine in the teens when the road surface is about that same temperature. I commute to work and go on rides with the temperature in this range. I slow down and don't push as hard because the tires never fully get up to temperature. I've never slipped this brand of tire due to cold, nor have I kept increasing my performance envelope until I did get slip.
I've had some performance rubber that would be like grease even in mid 70 degree air temperature until they got good 'n hot.
That is what I have on now. I have a new pair of Diablo Strada E tires front and rear. I was having issues for the first 20 miles or so but it could have been my motoc skills too since I did not have any warm gear with me for this ride and was not prepared for those low temps.

Interesting.
I think it depends on tire compound more than anything else.

I run a Metzler ME880 for long boring interstate drones. In the wet and cold, this tire sucks.

I have over 5,000 now on a set of PRII's and haven't noticed any 'cold tire syndrome' you describe. Then again I've not been in less than 40 degrees F either.

Last winter I ran a set of Avon Storms in 19 - 28 F each morning on the way to work. They too seemed to work OK in the cold once on warmed up by the road.

I changed to the ME880 during that cold patch and wasn't too pleased.

That's what makes me think it's more tire compound dependent than anything else.

Among the many other factors, tire compound does play a role. I rode my PR2's in 20-30 degree weather about 10 days this past spring commuting and had no pucker moments. Granted, I had all of 4 corners to experiment with & those were at 30-40 mph.

I would never trust tire traction with cold tires. MC tires are made to grip when they are warmed to a certain temp. range below that the tires are not going to give you good cornering grip and if they are too warm they will get a greasy feel to them and start to loose grip. I see you have a smart tire system and that will tell you pressure and temps. Maybe you can go to a tire site and find out what temp they recommend for max grip and using your smart tire system you can make that judgment for yourself. Just keep in mind cold tires and cold pavement and not a good combo for max grip and adjust your riding style accordingly.