Question about Rifle shield for those "in the know" ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRH08FJR

Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 FJR and I am considering purchasing the Rifle + 5" (I wish they had a +4) because I am 6'2". Anyway, I really like the look of the shield from their photos on the website, but I am totally confused on what the Angle Optimizer is? This attachment looks HUGE on the website and it says that this must be installed with the shield. I cant imagine that big thing looking good on the FJR, but maybe I am missing something because I cant see it on the installed photos. Link here...Rifle Gen 2 shield Any clairfication appreciated. JRH08FJR

Have you ever tried it without that bracket? From the photos, IMO, it looks really awkward in the "down" position with that huge bracket between the windshield and the bike. As I said, maybe these photos are not showing this in the way that it might appear in person.

It can't be used without the bracket, the mounting holes don't line up. The windshield holes only line up to the holes on the top of the bracket, the bottom bracket holes only line up to the stock windshield bracket.

Yet, the Rifle screen look wierd, kinda sits "off" the bike a bit. But I like mine, and it's the only one I liked after trying stock, a Cee Bailey, and a V-Stream. Also FWIW, I tend to run mine most all the way up the majority of the time, mainly because otherwise my Schuberth helmet tends to be very noisy.

Wow, they have a great looking shield, but that angle optimizer bracket, i dunno about that thing. Unless i can see it in person, maybe i'd see it differently. i guess i'll probably go with the Calsi or the Cee Bailey, but i like the shape of the Rifle shied the best. JRH08FJR

Looks to me like the Rifle is lifted but tilted back more, which might be a problem with the N-Line shelf if a GPS is mounted on top of it. I have a Calsci tall, and I think it is similar shape to the Rifle, excluding spacers of course. Maybe one day I'll get a look at someone's Cee Bailey.

but that angle optimizer bracket
I don't have the Rifle (have a Calsci) but if some bucks come available I would like to try a Rifle. I couldn't tell from your comments if you know/understand what the "angle optimizer" is. Just in case that wasn't answered, if you stand to the side of the FJR looking from side to side as you raise the windscreen it moves upward but pitches forward becoming more of a "barn door". The rear of shield stays relatively in the same position (front to back) while the bottom of the shield moves rearward a ?couple? of inches.

If I recall correctly a measurement I make last Fall (wondering if I could make an "angle bracket"), the angle of the shield is 18 degrees steeper in full up than full down. In the down position, it is a fairly good airfoil were the air would/should continue a smooth flow as goes past the end. At full up, the air feels like it might be coming turbulent as it leaves the lip and "crashes" back and downward which then hits the rider. This becomes worse as the length of the shield is increased because the air flows over a longer steeper surface.

The angle optimizer is Rifle's attempt to get the angle less abrupt as the shield is raised, thus keeping the air from stalling/separating from the main flow as it comes off the shield

I have a Gen 2 FJR and I am considering purchasing the Rifle + 5" (I wish they had a +4) because I am 6'2". Anyway, I really like the look of the shield from their photos on the website, but I am totally confused on what the Angle Optimizer is? This attachment looks HUGE on the website and it says that this must be installed with the shield. I cant imagine that big thing looking good on the FJR, but maybe I am missing something because I cant see it on the installed photos. Link here...Rifle Gen 2 shield Any clairfication appreciated. JRH08FJR
I have an '08 with the Rifle. works great, aesthetics are fine. When the shield is down, the shield does a little more funky than stock sticking its chin out as it does, but once slightly up, looks fine

I can send pictures if desired. PM if you want pictures.