Question about trailer hitches for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLK50

Reaction score
This is directed primarily at those who purchased their trailer hitch through last year's group buy.

Now that you have it, how has it worked out for you? Any problems with the install or concerns with it's use?

How does the FJR do pulling a trailer? Any thing you would do different?

I want to add a trailer for this year's riding season and was wondering what everyone thought.

Since there aren't that many options for hitches I just want some more info before I get one.

Anybody change their mind and want to sell their hitch? If so PM me, I want to keep this discussion

from becoming a WTB in the classifieds

I'm also interested in others experiences. I looked into this a little when I first purchased the bike, but it might be a year or two before I actually made the purchase. I had crazy thoughts of towing my track bike behind the FJR. ;) Towing a 400lbs bike + trailer + gear is probably a bad idea although Im sure the FJR can handle it for short distances/limited braking trips.

I've got a total of 8,000 miles on my 08 FJR with around 4,000 miles pulling either my Wags pet trailer or Escapade. No issues: however, it does accelerate rear tire wear. My OEM Stone is down to the wear bars, but it outlasted the crappy front by 50%.

Now my trailers are only pulled behind my FJR around town and short day trips. I certainly didn't buy the FJR to tow...bought it for dancing through the CO canyons solo.

The GL1800 is usually used for long haul touring with a trailer and either the Raider or Silver Wing to and from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the following link for some hitch pictures from Bushtec.
https://www.bushtecmotorcycletrailers.com/p...r-fjr-1300.aspx

That is hitch I have. I also have one of Bushtec's early turbo model trailers. As Niehart says, it tows really well.

Some lessons for must dos:

1. get after market suspension

2. install power comander

3. balance the load on the bike and trailer

We did a 2 up 10 day ride last summer ending at WFO. We planned to camp 2 nights then stay in a hotel. Ended up camping all nights except WFO and 1 other night. The key is find campgrounds that have showers. We packed for 10 days on the road so we did not need to do laundry. KOA's and state park campgrounds are great places to camp.

We did 3500 miles of twisty roads, back country roads, paved forest service roads. The PR2 tires were great. Still got 7000+ miles out of the tires and they were worn out on the edges. The suspension was pretty good even though it was set up for about 40 lbs less wieght on the rear. Stock suspension would be terrible for towing. The trailer was about 450 pounds loaded out.

I have a power commander loaded with the useless pickles smoothness map (converted Wally's map for GEN II bikes). I am contemplating getting the PC V so I can have two maps loaded and switch to a richer map when more power is needed.

The key to riding well or fast with a trialer is to get your bike set up to handle it and to balance the load on the bike and trailer so you keep the tongue weight to about 25-40 pounds. We put our pillows in the side bags on the FJR and put all the heavey weight towards the back of the trailer to balance it.

Other than the bike accelerating slower and the weight of the trailer pushing you through the corners when you let off the brakes and transition to the throttle, you would hardly know it is back there. I did ride hard enough in the twisties that coming down off the hill from Forest Service Road #1 (Willow Creek Hwy 299 to Mad River Hawy 36) to Mad River, that I had to slow down as the brakes were fading badly because of all the wieght and the speed I was carrying down the hill through the turns.

The bike performed very well towing.

About the trailer. If you haven't purchased one yet, look for one that has air shocks for suspension. They shocks suck up any bumps and the trailer doesn't bounce, which keeps and bumps or motion from transfering to the bike.

I love towing to trailer, it does not slow us down, just changes the approach to the turns slightly.

IOne thing to note, bushtec hitches are specific to their trailers. If I did't have the bushtec, I would use a daunbtless motors hitch. Both are very well made pieces.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to reply.

However, this thread was directed specifically at those who purchased the Dauntless hitch. I just wanted to know if everyone was satisfied with their purchase.

I require a ball hitch to have the option of towing other than one trailer and it seems that the Dauntless is the best choice.

I was hoping to get some feedback before making the purchase.

As for Bushtec, they simply don't meet my requirements.

I'd still like to hear from Dauntless owners.

Thanks.

Here is a thread with several references to the dauntless hitch. towing

John T did a bunch of research on different trailers and ran the dauntless group buy, he is still around PM him

AuburnFJR's info is right on the mark as it applies to trailer towing with the FJR.

I failed to mention that I am using the Dauntless hitch from the group buy. Although adequate for my purpose, it lacks the quality of the Bushtec on my GL1800. Keep in mind that I believe our group buy produced the first generation II hitches manufactured by Dauntless. My hitch was delivered with several missing pieces. The main hoop was welded off center due to problems with the jig. Dauntless promptly rectified everything to my satisfaction. I am told that they have modified their manufacturing & shipping process to avoid future problems.

The installation went fine with very minor alterations to the FJR. Fit was good with no interference to any stock components.

I use an isolated trailer wiring harness on all my bikes to avoid overloading the stock electrical system. Dauntless can provide one as an option if you request it as an upgrade.

I am satisfied with my Dauntless hitch.

Thank you Diavalos for the response. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. It seems that there aren't any dissatisfied customers with the Dauntless hitch so I guess I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks all for your input.

Thank you Diavalos for the response. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. It seems that there aren't any dissatisfied customers with the Dauntless hitch so I guess I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks all for your input.
You could always save a few bucks and buy a DenRay hitch. They make tons of hitches, have been doing it a long time and I've never heard any bad reviews. I'm planning on picking mine up in the spring.

Edited!

Last edited by a moderator: