Question for Autocom users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k7lvo

Reaction score
I've looked everywhere I can think of, including reading the manual on Autocom's site, and I still can't figure out how PTT on the bike to bike works. The only mentions of bike to bike have talked about using VOX, and that it works well. But how do you turn VOX on and off? Also, how is volume to the headsets adjusted while under way? Does the autovolume work so well that adjustments aren't necessary?

TIA,

Hey, that's three questions!

PTT on the bike-to-bike requires a separate radio and some wiring to get it all working, and it overrides the VOX, except for rider/passenger chatter, as I understand it.

The volume can be adjusted by turning the knobs, which can be extended to the outside of a tankbag setup for accessibility.

You need to ask Keith Goudelock (pr. Godlock) at Tulsa Truck Center 918.446.2245

He is the Autocom master who will lead you to enlightenment, and cut you a deal at the same time.

T.C. has it correct. The PTT assembly includes a plug-and-play wiring loom that causes the VOX to not operate for bike to bike. There is a 3-position switch on my PTT button housing that will turn the PTT off so that one "could" use the VOX, if so inclined.

Keith is "The Man."

So, if I understand correctly, the VOX is in the Autocom unit but the PTT goes directly to the radio and is independent of the Autocom.

Thanks for the contact info for Keith. I'll be giving him a call...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if I understand correctly, the VOX is in the Autocom unit but the PTT goes directly to the radio and is independent of the Autocom.
Thanks for the contact info for Keith. I'll be giving him a call...
Nope!

The PTT is through the Autocom and connects it to the 2-way radio. The PTT's circuitry bypasses the vox unless you "flip" the switch on the PTT button housing that reconnects the VOX.

That way, the PTT operates the 2-way radio and the VOX still operates the rider-to-pillion communication.

Example: I can talk with another rider using the PTT on our 2-way radios. He is talking with his passenger using the VOX.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know about bike to bike as I havent used that feature on my autocom. I do know that the auto volume does not work well at all. Nor does the auto VOX. The ambient mic isnt sensitive enough. Its a good idea but it has to be in the wind stream to function correctly.

I upgraded to the top of the line autocom because i had so much trouble with my first one. However I had to turn off the auto volume and the auto vox. Its a little frustrating paying for features that dont work but i have everything set up pretty good right now and have for the past year. All in all Im happy with it.

Mike, I'm still unsure how the PTT works. I can't find any reference to it in the online manual. There's not even a mention of it in the list of inputs. Autocom also talks about multiple bike to bike radios/outputs, so there has to be some way to direct which unit tranmits when the PTT in pushed.

Drew, how to you adjust the volume and VOX while you're riding? It doesn't look like the controls are very easy to use with gloves on, and it seems that most installations mount the unit out of reach of the rider, anyway.

Correct, most installations are positioned in a way that makes true ride-time adjustment out of the question. To be safe, you'll have to simply perform this somewhere you can ride, stop/adjust, ride more, readjust. It shouldn't take more than a few time to do so, though.

Personally, I've very much enjoyed the VOX and found it to work great for my height and my setup. I have the Pro AVi and just took a date out on the FJR yesterday with great results (at least as far as the Autocomm is concerned :rolleyes: )

However, on this morning's ride to work, I discovered that my mic has given up the ghost after just 18 months of (heavy) helmet use. I tried taking a bluetooth call and the other person couldn't hear me. Sure enough, I couldn't even interrupt my own music the way my voice usually does with the autovolume/VOX. I'll have to tear into my lid tonight and hope that it's just a connection. The fact that the wind material has come off the mic tends to make my mind wander to thinking it's dead.

I don't know about the PTT, but I mounted my Autocom AVI under the seat and cannot get at it at all. All it took was one ride, stopping and removing the seat, to set up the volume and VOX and I have never had to mess with it again.

I found at about 50 MPH I get the volume shift to high and it works pretty good. You can also split the box as there are internal adjustments to the volume shift if needed.

Mike, I'm still unsure how the PTT works. I can't find any reference to it in the online manual. There's not even a mention of it in the list of inputs. Autocom also talks about multiple bike to bike radios/outputs, so there has to be some way to direct which unit tranmits when the PTT in pushed.
Drew, how to you adjust the volume and VOX while you're riding? It doesn't look like the controls are very easy to use with gloves on, and it seems that most installations mount the unit out of reach of the rider, anyway.

Being unsure which model you have I will talk about the super pro AVI, refering to the graph on page 4 of this link: clicky. The PTT will be connected to aux. 5, which is a 5 pin connector. Depending on what signal the autocom receives over these 5 pins it will be in either Vox or PTT mode. The PTT switch is hooked inline between your radio and the autocom to provide the right signal to the autocom so that you can control which mode you are in. You can in fact make your own PTT switch, there are plans out there.

PS I have the super pro and have none of the issues drew mentioned. The thing is crystal clear at every speed I have ever been at, and the loudness always seems correct to me, through earplugs.

Call Autocom. They have a great Customer Service Dept. They will help you in all these questions. You aren't obligated to purchase a thing from them. You can go to Keith for your purchases.

I'm not sure we are understanding what you are asking and vice verse. If you know what I mean??? :rolleyes:

I can say that I run the Bike-to-Bike Switch and it works great. I also run a Pro M1 Autocom box...no longer made but still has support through Autocom. While you are talking with them, set up an account in case you need something. They will send you updates and catalogs.

Hope this helps.

I was getting a lot of false VOX triggers with my pillion. The auto volume never got loud enough unless it was in the direct airflow, like if i opened my visor and stood up on the pegs. (Fred wrote a great review on it somewhere, and he had the same issues with the ambient mic.) Especially if I wore earplugs. With the autovolume off i can set it for earplugs or no earplugs and leave it. The autovox didnt work correctly but that was only when I had a passenger.

My SuperAVi kit included a "noise cancelling" (volume adjusting) mic for the driver's headset. The documentation clearly calls for the mic to be placed in an externally exposed location. In my case, it sticks out of the bottom back of the helmet (i.e. the back of my neck), slightly shifted 6" or so towards the right. This has been more than sufficient to cause proper operation of the volume adjustment circuit.

Improper VOX activation is solely a result of improper mic placement and/or excessive sensitivity setting on the VOX knob. Also remember that ANY VOX solution is best operated by a 1/4 second of intentional "activation noise", such as clearing your throat or saying "la la" quickly, then speak normally. While it's not a requirement, I suggest it to my passengers as they rarely place their mic in the proper location, which is DIRECTLY in front of the mouth. As such, they have to work a little to kick in the VOX. Mic placement has a HUGE impact on VOX performance, especially these Autocom units. The outer sock layer should just barely be in contact with your closed mouth, centered squarely over the lips both vertically and horizontally.

Your tolerance and mileage may vary, but just know that the Super AVi has worked flawlessly for me for the past 18 months. The only time I've had trouble is when I had a shitty helmet (Shoei RF1000) that was a noise machine. My Schuberth is much quieter and, as such, I have zero VOX issues.