Question for Corbin Smuggler Owners!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essjayarr

Reaction score
Corbin suggests bolting down the right tab of the Smuggler to the motorcycle frame. The left tab simply uses a button head with nylon washer which rests on the the hole where one of the seat tabs would lock in place. Also there is an acorn nut on top which slides into the hole on the bottom of the front seat.

Is there any reason why the button head method cannot be used on both sides, allowing the Smuggler to be easily removed to swap for a passenger seat with out the use of tools? Wouldn't the front seat once installed hold the Smuggler in place well enough?

It looks to be fairly easy to replicate a tab system as the stock seat uses.

What are you guys/gals doing with your Smuggler?

I take the smuggler on & off all of the time. My grand daughter like to ride and my wife is willing to ride if there is a supper & a glass of wine along the way. Also some times I haul stuff that would scratch the smuggler so I take it off.

I have used the smuggler with Corbin, stock, stock modified and Sargent seats. It works with all of them but you might want to put a little duck tape on the seat where smuggler rests against it.

This is on a "06" FJR.

The Gen-I version is not the same as the Gen-II . . . ours simply replaces the back seat and fastens itself in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen 1, not bolted. I use 2 acorn nuts. Use this for 3 years now witout any problems.

Let me know if you need pics.

Gen 1, not bolted. I use 2 acorn nuts. Use this for 3 years now witout any problems.
Let me know if you need pics.
I'm think along those same lines. I believe I can make a tab system like the plastic ones molded onto the stock rear seat. My plan is to use short pieces of threaded rod with nutserts (uncrimped of course) on each end with the nylon washers. The end result, you would have the nutserts acting as tabs down into the frame and up into the front seat holes.

I've got to measure the tabs to find the correct size nutserts. I figure I could add some heat shrink to the nutserts to make them less likely to scratch anything.

Someone PM'd me with one for sale for 07AE for $600. I was hoping for less so they sold it locally for $600. Maybe I am dreaming to get one for $350 but I can hope.
Oof... considering how much I just paid for a new one, I would say $350 is quite a dream! :p

Corbin suggests bolting down the right tab of the Smuggler to the motorcycle frame. The left tab simply uses a button head with nylon washer which rests on the the hole where one of the seat tabs would lock in place. Also there is an acorn nut on top which slides into the hole on the bottom of the front seat. ...
Bolts? Bolts? My smuggler doesn't need any stinkin' bolts.

They are expensive but I like it better than any other thing I put on that bike. I liked it so much that I ordered another one for my FZ1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hoping some aftermarket outfit will come up with an acceptable injection molded version. I know hand laid fibrelgass is expensive but there's no real need for it. Especially when it's much smaller and three times the cost of a side bag.

anyone selling a used Smuggler for an 07 yet? :)
Someone PM'd me with one for sale for 07AE for $600. I was hoping for less so they sold it locally for $600. Maybe I am dreaming to get one for $350 but I can hope.

Oof... considering how much I just paid for a new one, I would say $350 is quite a dream! :p
Last year I just missed ones which went for $250 and $350. I was third in line on the $250 one.

Corbin suggests bolting down the right tab of the Smuggler to the motorcycle frame. The left tab simply uses a button head with nylon washer which rests on the the hole where one of the seat tabs would lock in place. Also there is an acorn nut on top which slides into the hole on the bottom of the front seat.Is there any reason why the button head method cannot be used on both sides, allowing the Smuggler to be easily removed to swap for a passenger seat with out the use of tools? Wouldn't the front seat once installed hold the Smuggler in place well enough?

It looks to be fairly easy to replicate a tab system as the stock seat uses.

What are you guys/gals doing with your Smuggler?
Since you have a 2005, see this suggested method, although there are several other similar mods out there:

https://fjr1300ownersassociation.yuku.com/t...ler.html?page=2

My mod seems to hold well enough after four years, and was surely the low budget solution.