Question for PHID owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
So I am just finishing installing the set of PHIDs I bought from WC last fall. Yeah, it took me this long to find the time and money to do it.

Anyway, when I turn the lights on they make an EXTREMELY high pitch humming sound. I doubt I would be able to hear it when the bike is running, but it is very noticeable if the bike is not running, and I just turn the lights on.

Is this sound normal for HID lights?

Thanks.

I don't know about the PHID's, but my Soltek's do that until they "warm up". I believe it's normal (at least I HOPE it's normal).

Normal. All those photons from the anti-matter generator make a racket!

Obsess less, ride more. :p

I don't know about the PHID's, but my Soltek's do that until they "warm up". I believe it's normal (at least I HOPE it's normal).
My Baja Designs Soltek Fuegos do make a mild high-pitch sound until they warm up. But this is only noticeable if I turn them on without the engine running. If my bike is running, even at idle, I can't hear it.

My experience with installing a set of PHID's on another bike showed that the PHIDs do make a bit more noise than the Solteks. It is completely normal. The volume of this sound decreases when they warm up, and, you can't hear it while riding.