question if you also ride a sportbike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackdab949

Reaction score
I have always been curious to see what a sportbike was like, but have only had cruisers and the 2005 FJR ;-)

A few weeks ago I rented an '06 R6. It was a blast. Seemed faster, but it was probably just engine noise and the fact that you are hanging out in space as you ride the beast...I stayed in 2nd gear up Palomar (CA), but I am still a beginner ;-)

Now I know my FJR isn't a sportbike, but I wondered why the steering on the R6 felt so much more stable than the FJR. The FJR has a fork-brace and I have the suspension setup rarther hard (there was an article in sport rider mag I believe).

Basically, when I remove my hands from the R6, it feels rock stable, but not the FJR. Another example is on a sharp curve: the initial turn (counter steer) until the exit of the turn...it feels like 1 motion on the R6. And I don't think it is just bike weight, but again I am not that experienced...

I had a problem on the FJR fork-brace coming loose and it was scarry to ride...That was months ago, but I maybe never got over it. Could something be out of wack from it?

Now on the FJR, the initial turn (counter steer) is quick as everyone who owns one knows, but the reset doesn't feel as stable. Yes I know it is twice as heavy, but once it is on its line that is what doesn't feel as right...

Is it the weight or shaft drive or sport-tour front-end geometry that affects this?

Does it sound like I am crazy (this is what I am leaning towards ;-)

Not a very clear question, but if you ride a sport-bike in the twisties, how does the FJR compare and have you done anything to the FJR or do you have both types of bikes for each purpose...

I plan on tweeking with the adjustments on the suspension, but as an all-around bike the FJR is the best choice out there!!!

thx

Can't speak for the R6, but my 02 VFR is a dream to handle in the twisties and way more fun than my 05 FJR. Felt like it was on rails and wanted to go exactly where I wanted it to go. Love the feeling. The FJR is still a great bike but not like the mid size sport bikes for fun rides.

<snip>Now I know my FJR isn't a sportbike, but I wondered why the steering on the R6 felt so much more stable than the FJR. The FJR has a fork-brace and I have the suspension setup rarther hard (there was an article in sport rider mag I believe).

Basically, when I remove my hands from the R6, it feels rock stable, but not the FJR. Another example is on a sharp curve: the initial turn (counter steer) until the exit of the turn...it feels like 1 motion on the R6. And I don't think it is just bike weight, but again I am not that experienced...

I had a problem on the FJR fork-brace coming loose and it was scarry to ride...That was months ago, but I maybe never got over it. Could something be out of wack from it?

Now on the FJR, the initial turn (counter steer) is quick as everyone who owns one knows, but the reset doesn't feel as stable. Yes I know it is twice as heavy, but once it is on its line that is what doesn't feel as right...

Is it the weight or shaft drive or sport-tour front-end geometry that affects this?
I have an FJR and an R1. The R1 is, of course, a great handler but my FJR handles very well too. I have not experienced any of the problems that you have described, even before my suspension upgrades and fork brace.

My personal feeling is that the weight is the biggest issue. It's not just a heavy bike, it carries alot of weight up high...like 41 lbs of fuel up top, battery in the upper fairing, plus all the hardware associated with the motorized windshield. Top-heavy is an understatement. The FJR certainly aquits itself well, but compared to a lightweight sportbike...there is no comparison.

There are of course other factors possible re: your Feejer. Setting up suspension "harder" is not automatically better. I don't know how many miles are on your bike, but at 15K, my suspension was trash. I just had my forks done by Traxxion Dynamics, and added a Penske shock from them as well...MAJOR difference. Front tire wear pattern could be an issue for you, as could tire pressures or steering head bearings. How about fuel slosh?? That's alot of weight up high.

Comparing the FJR to a top-shelf sportbike is just way too apples/oranges. The FJR is good, but it's no R6. Sportbikes rock, but my wife wouldn't get on the back of my R1. If only we could have our cake and eat it too.

Tires could be another factor. I had 2 sets of tires that were just fine, never gave them a second thought, Feejer handled as good as could be expected for the weight, rake/trail, length and center of gravity. At 10:00 one Sat. morning I took bald tires off a good handling bike and at 2:00 I pulled out of my garage with new tires and nasty handling bike. The nasties are now bald so I am looking forward to replacing them with anything but the same brand tire ;) :rolleyes:

Tires could be another factor. I had 2 sets of tires that were just fine, never gave them a second thought, Feejer handled as good as could be expected for the weight, rake/trail, length and center of gravity. At 10:00 one Sat. morning I took bald tires off a good handling bike and at 2:00 I pulled out of my garage with new tires and nasty handling bike. The nasties are now bald so I am looking forward to replacing them with anything but the same brand tire ;) :rolleyes:

And you're not going to tell us which brand that was??? :blink:

In comparison, my 02' CBR600F4i was a fantastic handling bike which was effortless (subliminal almost) in turn in and roll out. On the other hand, it's harsher ride tires one out sooner than the plushness of the FJR. The FJR is a good handling bike (especially for 500+lbs), but it does require more effort to initiate a turn, but once established, it rails just fine. As said above, it's not an apples to apples type comparison as each design has compromises in some areas. If only we could have our cake and eat it too! I'd have your FJR checked out by a suspension tuner as you bike should not be handling in the manner you describe.

Smackdab, I've wondered some of the same things, although since replacing the front and rear suspension with Wilbers and adding a Superbrace, everything is more settled for me. Besides tires & gross weight, I also wonder if the rake and trail are worth a look. I used to have all of my track bikes measured at Computrak to quicken steering a little, and to be sure that I didn't render the bikes unstable with my adjustments. But the Computrak in my area (northern Virginia) has closed. I wonder if anyone has measured an FJR.

I'm planning a track day this September at VIR with CLASS. I toyed with the idea of renting a 600 because I'm down to the one road bike, but that's so expensive, I'm going to run the FJR. My plan is to firm up the suspension with a bit more preload, especially in the rear -- to add ride height and to pitch the attitude of the bike forward. This should have the affects of quickening steering and lessening the chance of dragging hard parts.

And you're not going to tell us which brand that was???
PMed ya DD. I didn't say what brand the tires were that because I didn't want the Handeling thread to turn into a tire thread. I've seen that come out in this group before :lol:

When you re-torqued the fork brace, did you completely loosen it, let the suspension settle and then torque the allen bolts? If not, it is possible that it is in a bind which would cause some stiction in the forks.

Or maybe you need to add an R-6 to your stable. ;)

SmackDab.

It may not be the FJR, but how you're riding it.

Do you lean your upper body into the turn BEFORE you apply any pressure to the bars, or do you throw some weight on a bar and flick the bike over keeping your torso fairly upright?

Doing the latter will cause all sorts of problems, doing the former makes every bike feel great. Well, to a point. <G>

Obviously, my R1 handles a zillion times better, but the FJR is no slouch. Change your riding style accordingly to what bike your riding, and it'll all be good.

GZ

The FJR is good, but will never handle like a sport bike. I used to have a VFR that was excellent handling and now have an Aprilia Tuono for the twisties.

My Katana 750 is by no means a NAKED bike but it is more 'flickable" and quicker (chain drive) than the FJR.

I believe if you follow the advice already given: check suspension, pay attention to riding style, and account for top heavyness and overall weight diff, you'll find it will handle well for a couch rocket!

Can't speak for the R6, but my 02 VFR is a dream to handle in the twisties and way more fun than my 05 FJR. Felt like it was on rails and wanted to go exactly where I wanted it to go. Love the feeling. The FJR is still a great bike but not like the mid size sport bikes for fun rides.

+1 on the VFR. I recently ended up in the dirt on a left hander with the FJR....a turn that the VFR would have gobbled up like a high fat tasty snack...

I've been working on getting my bike to turn in easy and stay neutral for the mountain riding I do here where I live. I feel for my riding style I have done the best I can without going to the Traxxion Dynamics fork cartridges. I think the biggest thing I'm fighting now is weight. I estimate I'll get a whopping 2500 miles out of my front Avon and maybe 3000 out of the rear.

26-28mm Meissner tail lifter (dog bones)

Dropped the fork clamps on the tubes to 5mm showing (may go more)

Wilbers fork springs and 641 rear shock.

Lots of fiddling with the knobs for ride quality and control.

I thought about a purpose built bike for speed in the twisties but have realized I'm no longer purpose built to be folded up like that.

Uber, 26-28 up in the rear and 5 down in the front would be a dramatic change in a sport bike. How about on the FJR? Have you detected any adverse handling or instability from your mods?

Have you detected any adverse handling or instability from your mods?
Not so far but I usually ride solo on mountain roads with an average speed of 50-60 mph. I am not too worried about headshake at those speeds and my bike rarely sees a straight line. To me it turns in much easier, stays neutral if I'm doing my part, and comes back up easier.

It now carries me as fast and efficiently as this slightly irresponsible person should go.

I had an SV 650 and the FJR. After a long layoff it's easier (less intimidating) to get on the naked 650. Both handle great. I feel very secure riding the FJR and even pushing it in the MX pavement woops on Mt. Saint Helens, it ever give me a monent of being ill at ease. Something is not quite right with yours. Fork bind would do that. TJ