Question on helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downn2(aka starcruiser)

Reaction score
My 06 FJR will be here in March......The problem is I usually have never worn a helmet, but do to the serious nature of the bike I think I might move over to the other side to play it safe.........Herein lies the problem,,,,what helmet would be ample without sufficating me.....I do have a half helmet, but everyone seems to be going to the full blown headcap which appears to be for bikes without anytype of a windshield. Isn't this a little extreme? And wouldn't it just be hotter than hell with little wind, assuming Yamaha has made the bike where less air hits the driver.....What have you guys experience with your helmets and what recommendations would you have assuming money isn't a problem......I notice goldwing riders mostly use half helmets, why wouldn't they be good for an FJR?......Anyone had any experience with BLUETOOTH enabled helmets....I plan to be able to listen to music and answer the phone....

Why do I wear a full-face helmet?

1. Over 30 percent of all helmet impacts (according to older studies) occur on the chinbar. I like eating solid food, so it seemed like a wise choice.

2. When riding in the rain/cold, the full face keeps you warmer and better protected.

3. When riding in very hot weather, it helps keep you from becoming dehydrated (hot wind can both increase your core temp *and* dehydrate you very quickly.

4. I've tilted by stock windshield back a few degrees, and get ample wind to the face.

5. Full face helmets can have very good venting, depends on the model.

6. Bugs don't taste good.

What helmet should you get?

The simple answer is "the one that fits you comfortably and you will wear". Everyone has different head sizes, tolerance of noise, & tolerance of comfort issues. Try several on, leave them on for 30 minutes as you walk around the store. Make sure there are no "hot spots" that start to hurt after a while.

What helmet do I use?

An Arai, because I have a narrow, pointy head. I've tried other brands in the past, including Shoei, but they just managed to hurt the front of my forehead.

I wear an HJC Symax flip front. XL with the cheek pads removed. Nice to get the front off my face at the gas station. Fairly quiet, but I still wear ear plugs. Nay sayers don't like the movable chin, but I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I get a little piece of mind.

Like Jam said, fit is REAL important. I tried mine on locally, then bought over the internet. Most internet helmet sites have fitment guides for head diameter, and even describe overall head shape. But there's nothing like trying one on. And getting one a smidge snug is good, it'll settle and wear in a bit, anyway. It's year end clearance times a lot of places. Good time to buy. I'm getting another one, myself! Probably try something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
1/2 a helmet = 1/2 a head(covered)!! you may save your brain, but your face won't look to pretty. i have a shoei X-eleven as my main helmet and an hjc full face as back-up. absolutely love the x-11. vents awesome amounts of air, and that is one of the things that will either make you wear a full face or not. i find it a really good fit to my head. it's a well made and finished lid. pricey, yes but much cheaper than the trip to the ER and recronstructive surgery.

I don't see how anyone can ride this bike without a full face helmet. There's a lot of fast moving wind hitting your face and eyes. I even bought a pair of glasses type goggles for when I flip up my faceshield in town because of the wind in your eyes causing you to blink a hundred times a second. What Jamin said is 100 percent correct. Buy the helmet you'll wear. The flip up would be a good compromise.

Down, you re-opened a can of worms. I knew I shouldn't get involved. Anyway, wear what you want, and assess your own risk level.

I grew up in the day of 3/4 open faced helmets. That's all there were, that's what you wore. Something is better than nothing. But if you want the majority of THIS crowd to say it's OK to go with a 3/4 or godforbid a half helmet, you be barkin' the wrong tree.

Full faced helmets have come a long way. My HJC flip front is quieiter than my 12 year old full faced brand X. Once you wear one for a while, you probably will appreciate it. And when you're up to speed and realize how hard impacts are going to be, you'll probably want the full gear. Battle armour. The older I get , the more I want.

Ah, I remember way back when I was indestructible.... It hurts just thinking about it.

I think this thread deserves NPARTS consideration...

If you're not used to wearing full-face helmets, I'd definately try on a lot of them and let them sit on my head for a while to make sure I find one that fits well. If you go to a local retailer find out what their exchange/return policy is. That way you can take it home, put it on for about half an hour and see how it feels.

I have two helmets one HJC AC-11 full face. (The cool silver graphics that make me a chick magnet...until I remove the helmet!)

https://www.hjchelmets.com/ac11.htm

The other is a Jarow Mono-convertible flip up (which also converts to an open-face...I have never done this).

https://armoredrider.com/mod/product/id_prd/22

The flip up is great as I wear glasses but the HJC has less wind noise. I do use the HJC much more than the Jarow as most of my riding is longer distances. If I am going to be scooting around the city I use the Jarow for it's convience.

I can't recommend strongly enough trying on a lot of helmets. They do not all fit the same. Remember the helmet should fit very, very snuggly at first. It might even seem a little uncomfortable but soon enough it will adjust to your head. (Or if you have a soft head then it will adjust...whatever!)

gypsy

I've found that the flip front seem to be nosier than the standard full face. I wear a Bell M4 and find the fit good for my round head. I wear glasses also, but the flip front was just too noisy.

Riding is dangerous enough as it is, if you were the only one on the road it would be one thing, you have to consider those around you when you are on a bike, hence the more protection you can apply to your head the better.

I have a buddy that lives in Illinois, he hates riding his bike in Missouri as we have a helmet law. I'd wear my full faced helmet regardless of any law etc. as if I ever do go down I want to maximize my chances of getting back up again.

Road trash is another issue to contend with, especially on a touring bike. I've got a decent size gash on the top of my current helmet, a KBC? Unsure, would have to look at it. I'd hate to think of what it would have felt like had that rock smoked me on the head, I doubt it would have been pretty.

When it's warm out, you can always ride with the shield up, I normally keep mine up unless I'm going over 50. If it's really hot you can ride with it cracked slightly. They are a must IMO for highway speed runs to avoid debris. I put 11,000 miles on my Vstar 1100 custom this year, (sold and awaiting delivery of my FJR btw) I can't tell you how many June Bugs, Rocks, Bumble Bees and Horse Fly hits I have avoided this year by wearing my helmet.

Another point, with the FJR's adjustable windshield you'll have more than enough airflow to keep you cool at speed. Do yourself and your family a favor and buy a real hat :)

JS

Get a Full Face helmet that vents well, then buy a used windscreen and cut it in half for summer riding. You'll get lots of clean air movement over the screen and into the vents. this will keep you cooler and offer maximun protection if you ever need it. I've had 2 Shoei RF-900's and loved the fit. Its since been upgraded to the RF 1000. Arai makes a great helmet too. Motorcyclist did a controversial article on helmets 2-3 months ago and noted some of the cheaper lids did as well as the expensive brands. ie.Scorpion and HJC so look at them as well. I'm in agreement with the full face models though. I went down at 70mph and because of my gear and the helmet I didn't have a scratch on me.

Glenn

Why do I wear a full-face helmet?
1. Over 30 percent of all helmet impacts (according to older studies) occur on the chinbar. I like eating solid food, so it seemed like a wise choice.

2. When riding in the rain/cold, the full face keeps you warmer and better protected.

3. When riding in very hot weather, it helps keep you from becoming dehydrated (hot wind can both increase your core temp *and* dehydrate you very quickly.

4. I've tilted by stock windshield back a few degrees, and get ample wind to the face.

5. Full face helmets can have very good venting, depends on the model.

6. Bugs don't taste good.
+1

The helmet should fit a little tight at first as others have said. It will loosen up a bit the more you wear it.

FJR Bandit

I had a flip-face helmet that was noisy but convenient for someone who wears glasses. After a friend of mine high-sided his bike and his flip-face popped open on first impact resulting in road rash to nose and chin, I bought a full face helmet.

My current helmet is a Shoei RF1000...and, I don't leave home w/out it!

Go down to your local MC shop and start trying on helmets. Everyone's noggin is different, so what fits me well may not fit you well. Once you find one that seems to fit well, and is snug enough, keep it on for about 10-15 minutes. Walk around the shop and just see if any pressure points develop. Don't worry about looking like a fool, you won't be the first to have done this. My local Cycle Gear encourages you to do this. If you ask them for their opinion, you'll end up walking around the store for a while with the helmet on and them asking you every few minutes "Still feeling OK in there?" to make sure it going to work over the long haul.

Mu current helmet is a Zeus flip up. I wear glasses and really like the flip up part. I bought the Zeus because it fits very well. It is noisy in the wind and the hinges keep coming loose so I wouldn't recommend one or buy another one for myself.

You'll get used to a full-face helmet after a while (I did) and eventually it'll feel just like another piece of armor, comforting. The heat from your FJR won't rise to your head's level, at least mine doesn't. I only feel head-hot on 105+ degree days from heat waves coming off the pavement, and then you soak yourself with water to cool off anyway.

Getting a good fit with NO hot spots is critical, probably more so than anything else. Try different brands and models within a brand.

Helmet.gif