Question on Rear suspension - Penske 8900

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Just picked up the Penske 2 way adj. w/remote reservoir off Ebay 8900 series , PO used it on a 07 Kawa zx10r on Track only. I have a FJR 08'

I am anxious to get it and put it on, hopefully I won't have to change the spring. He and I are about 50lbs diff. Me to the heavier side, but a straight street touring rider, not a track day rider. The penske has been recently rebuilt and only used 1k miles.

I am sure it will be a improvement over the old stock shock which has 49k miles on it.

My concern is how will I be able to tell if the Penske spring is working properly for me?

What should I look out for in handling?

I probably never would spend 2k on upgrading suspension on my bike-get new bike first, so this was a impulse purchase and a huge discount buy.

Measure static and dynamic sag. To take a basic check, the static sag should be around 10-12mm (no rider) and dynamic sag 33-35mm (with rider). Others may give slightly different numbers but this will give you a ball park check if the spring is OK for you + motorcycle weight. With the preload adjusted you should be able to get around a 20-25mm difference between static and dynamic sag.

Why do you think a Penske made for a Kawasaki ZX-10r would even fit on a FJR? Even if it is the correct length and has the same fittings on each end, the spring rates and valving stacks are probably going to be much different. It takes quite a bit of development and testing to to have a quality shock application and they rarely are transferable between different models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think a Penske made for a Kawasaki ZX-10r would even fit on a FJR? Even if it is the correct length and has the same fittings on each end, the spring rates and valving stacks are probably going to be much different. It takes quite a bit of development and testing to to have a quality shock application and they rarely are transferable between different models.
Probably so, however it's cheaper to rebuild this one to needed spec than start off with 1k off the bat.

Spring can easily be replaced, talking to Penske not much difference in this model from bike to bike. It's a aftermarket shock.

Well, Totally excited now.

The Penske Shock Saga.......well vision purchase.

Took the 8983 Penske and shipped directly to Penske.

Trax-Dyn is a super nice guy, but was kind of busy and this thing required a lot of reworking as stated by member.

To Penske it went.

Nice guys as well...answered questions and they charged me $425 for the following:

Clevis

Cap-Bushing

New Spring

Re-valve to spec

New remote hose

Think that's all.

So this beauty (which I will be installing on Friday) cost me a total of $750.00 ...Guess I saved a few hundred with my ebay buy.

I hope to re-coupe some of the price by selling the Hydropro spring, old Clevis and Cap Bushing to a ZX10r owner.

Now, it's time for the front. Probably going to ship to Traxxion Dynamics for that.