Quick Impressions of the Gen1 Rifle Touring Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeFJR

Reaction score
Received my Rifle Touring Windscreen today. It's big, but looks better on the bike than I thought it would. The low position is close to high with the stock screen. In the high position, wind noise was almost nonexistent. I have a loud Bell Vortex helmet, and it was amazing to hear the just the engine at higher speed with the screen up. I'm just over 6' and now need to look through the screen rather then over the stock. In the low position air flow was ok, but I think I'll need stock screen in the summer. Only complaint was back pressure increased a fair bit. I have the Rifle Tuning Block and that may help when installed. Would like to test some more riding 2 up and with/without the trunk. Overall, seems like a very nice product that really changes the airflow. Fist picture is stock, second is the Rifle.

DSCN1919.jpg

DSCN1923.jpg

Here's what I did to mine. This is a stock Rifle- My modified Rifle (blue taped)- and stock screen

IMG_0983.jpg

operation

IMG_0980.jpg

mimicking stock shape created less barn door feel! A little air flow and visibility.

IMG_0978.jpg

Looks like the stock screen. I have an extra Rifle and had the stock, but this works so well for me that I've never changed it since!

Oh, and the tuning block is really the key to this screen! It blocks so much air it needs that up draft to relieve the back pressure.

well I have the big mama since 2003 (w tuning block) and 100k km later I still love it especially in the wet. let it pour and I put it full up and the rain sheets off my visor. Its also good in the cold.
smile.png
My standard riding posn is 3/4 up (im 5 ' 10" ) and I always raise it before I move off at slow speed cause it interferes w lock/tank bag in tight turns.

I've install the tuning block, really helps the back pressure, but I'm getting some buffeting @ at speed when fully up. I also now look over it again, rather then thru the screen. Really like it with the block in the down position, seems to have a nice balance of air flow and protection. Will likely do some more testing, as my wife hasn't ridden yet. Still don't really like the looks, but I doubt anyone but a FJR owner would notice.

The ultimate solution!
smile.png
A V-Stream with the Rifle tuning block.
punk.gif

To be honest, as with all things, you just have to find what works for you.