Quick MRA-Vario review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
The first and only windscreen mod I've made is the MRA-Vario. It's an expensive but well made wind deflector. The fact that it's nearly infinitly adjustable when combined with factory screen height adjustment, I could never understand why they aren't more of these on FJR's. Screens are so personal (as we all know) so the MRA is the perfect windscreen mod if you ask me.

I bolted mine to the stock screen, but I'm considering adding it to the Givi screen. I'd recommend it over the clamp style because it looks so good, almost factory. Drilling wasn't an issue but assembly is slightly complicated.

Riding with it is great, with speeds of up to 90 I'm able to get the air flowing smoothly right over my head. What I really like about it is the versatility. If it starts raining you can raise it all the way up, if it's baking hot, you can lower it out of the way completely. You can also essentially increase or decrease (horizontally) the distance from the top of your screen to the front of your helmet, which can also help with buffeting.

The only thing I wasn't expecting is that you can't adjust it while riding. Well, you could but only with cruise control and some bravery. Sorry about the lame pic, but I'm sure you all know what it looks like. Cheers.

IM003352_zps7c8b21d7.jpg

It looks very nice in the bike!I am very curious which is the better?Mra..or Laminar lip..?!Did tried someone and the two brands in his bike to tell us his impressions..??

The MRA screen works really well on my other bike. I'm hoping they will offer this for the FJR, but it seems they don't do the Vario.. Thanks for the review, I'll keep it in mind if I find the stock screen too noisy.

I haven't tried the Laminar but I hear they work well. Not adjustable, so that defeats the purpose, for me anyway.

I have Laminar lip on the OEM touring windshield and it is very good, completely removes the buffeting

QmA0k.jpg

I have Laminar lip on the OEM touring windshield and it is very good, completely removes the buffeting
QmA0k.jpg
Thanks Enn,How many cm's did you install it above the upper end of your oem windshield?I have bought a Laminar lip but i have not install it yet..but i would like to try and an Mra lip....

Last edited by a moderator:
Laminar looks good, but then again it's a great looking bike. 2nd gen will always be my favorite with those old school sharp R1-ish headlights.

My bike is a Gen 1.Until lately i liked it better from The Gen 2 bikes..but lately it starts to like me very the Gen 2..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Looks like ass!

I tried the (similar) Laminar Lip once and it did nothing for me. However, I don't leave home without my Rifle Touring Screen with 'tuning block'.

Looks like ass!
I tried the (similar) Laminar Lip once and it did nothing for me. However, I don't leave home without my Rifle Touring Screen with 'tuning block'.
I prefer the Rifle tuning block in the oem windshield Skooter..But i don't like the design of the Rifle screen...probably is a very good screen...

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with SkooterG on the aesthetics. Both the Laminar Lip (which I have) and the MRA Vario look butt ugly. But that wouldn't bother me if they actually worked better.

The Laminar does help some, but not completely. Nothing gets the wind up completely over my head on the FJR, but that is probably because I am a short legged 6'2" (long torso) sitting up relatively straight due to Heli Bar Risers on a Russell Daylong seat, which is about an inch higher that stock. The windshield that comes the closest is the Rifle Touring screen, which is a behemoth barn door of a screen. It's on there now for the winter, but come warm days in spring off it comes for something much, much shorter (usually a stock screen with Rifle tuning block).

There is no free lunch when it comes to windscreens.

I bought a Laminar lip from a member in this forum but i haven't install it yet because in their website they write that the temperature for a good adhesive must be over of 70 and the last weeks here is not over from 40-50..Perhaps i must take out from the bike the windshield and i will connect the laminar in the house for 24 hours that they says.I am 5.6 height and i hope it will works good..I will buy and the tuning block and i will try it after..

If i will find and a used MRA VARIO Lip i would like to try it also..

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. The tuning block slants the screen so far forward it looks like somethine broke IMO

I love the MRA look so my lunch cost about $160 plus shipping.

You know...has anyone ever tried a tuning block, mid-size screen AND and a MRA vario all in one?

I bought a Laminar lip from a member in this forum but i haven't install it yet because in their website they write that the temperature for a good adhesive must be over of 70 and the last weeks here is not over from 40-50..Perhaps i must take out from the bike the windshield and i will connect the laminar in the house for 24 hours that they says.I am 5.6 height and i hope it will works good..I will buy and the tuning block and i will try it after..If i will find and a used MRA VARIO Lip i would like to try it also..
Mihalis, it is not so important how many cm it is over the stock shield end, its main idea is to direct the air in a way that it takes away the terrible buffeting noise, I guess I set it 2 cm or so over.

The sticker mounts that came with the lip were not good because the lip has a different shape than the stock shield and they would not stay sticked very securely, at least I was worried that the heavy air pressure during higher speed could cause some unexpected damage (lip getting lose and hitting my head, for example). So I screwed it to the shield with simple 5 mm stainless steel bolts.

I saw that you say about the different shape..but i will try it with 6 or 8 stickers mounts,three or four per side..I don't like to drill my shield.I see these stickers mounts are really strong!Thanks for the info!