Quiet helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I currently wear a KBC modular helmet, I noticed in the cooler mourning commute that it lets in a lot of cool air and it's noisey, any recommendations for a quieter modular helmet? I like the HJC and the Nolan for its added sun protection.

I currently wear a KBC modular helmet, I noticed in the cooler mourning commute that it lets in a lot of cool air and it's noisey, any recommendations for a quieter modular helmet? I like the HJC and the Nolan for its added sun protection.
I have a HJC Modular, and a SHOEI RF1000. I find they are both a little noisy. The HJC lets in more air under the chin/neck, keeps me cooler, and fits snugger around the ears, thus keeping some of the wind noise out. The SHOEI fits snugger all around, is MUCH hotter, but I don't feel it's as noisy. I do notice and like the fact that with the HJC, I have a much larger viewing area, the opening is much larger, with the Shoei it's a smaller area, less room. They both have ventilation holes at the top, although the HJC's are larger. I shave my head and I the larger holes on the HJC allow more air to flow to my melon.

The HJC has the added flipdown sunshield which is nice.

I also use a chatterbox xbi with speakers in the helmet, the speakers help to keep out some of the wind noise from around the ears.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, as my experience with difference MODULAR helmets is limited. Good Luck and hope you find a resolution.

Russ

Modulars are going to be noiser because of the join seam. My Nolan N103 is the quietest I've tried out of 5 or 6 brands, but I still needed earplugs.

Then I got a Cee Bailey's +6 +4 with flip, and it's literally as quiet as a car, and I don't need earplugs. Then I ran into the fact that my bike has all sorts of squeaks and creaks that I never heard before. And the fact that I hit 75 in a 45 because it's so quiet and I don't realize how fast I'm going. :)

It's really strange that I can hear the pads touch and go kssssh when I hit the brakes, and the tire noise changes when I lean, and there are these squishy hydraulic sounds that the front fork makes when I hit bumps.

Edit: The quietest helmet I ever had was a Bieffe B85, but that's because it was a $90 helmet with no vents, and the shield wasn't removable, nor did it open more than an inch. Heck, the shield was a cheap thin piece of sheet plastic. But it was really quiet on a naked UJM bike. That was in '87...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just switched from an HJC Symax to a Shoei Multitec and it's FAR FAR better. They've done they're homework on airflow and product quality...and it's a pretty decent value at about $400.

There are some decent reviews of various modular on

Considered the Nolan and liked the flip-down shield thing, but it didn't fit me very well and the quality seemed just a bit less than the Shoei.

I have the Scorpion 700 and it's not too bad as long as you are in clean air. If i raise the windshield up, It gets somewhat noisy with the turbulence

I have come to the conclusion that all helmets are noisy as hell, so since I have to wear earplugs anyway, why worry about that. Shield air (and water) leakage is a different issue and may make or break a helmet design for me.

I currently have a Scorpion EXO-1000 POS brick - it is the worst helmet I have owned - it is HEAVY, FOGS EASILY, and is NOISY!

Any how, I have always loved the concept of a modular helmet, but didn't care for the trade-offs.

Well, after a friend got a Schuberth C3 and reading the reviews at webbikeworld.com, I ordered one and it should be here on Monday!

I will report back if it is worth the $$$!!

Best Regards,

Shane

I've gone the opposite direction and now wear a full MX helmet with googles.

Truth.

And it's noisy as hell with Black Sabbath cranked at 12... :huh:

I've owned Shoei, Schuberth and HJC modular helmets and I have found all of them to be slightly more noisey than a good fitting full-coverage helmet of the same brand. Also, head shape will make a difference with which brand is the most comfortable. It has been my experience that Shoei helmets fit a rounder head (mine's oval). Schuberth makes a good helmet, but it's flaws have been outlined above.

I believe HJC provides the best value if you have an oval head shape, wear earplugs and ride in the warmer states.

OBD

I have both Shoei and a HJC modular helmets. I have a very large long oval head and had to do a bit of ball pein hammer and spoon adjustment to be able to endure wearing either of them. After adjustment, they're ok, but with the excellent extended Yamaha cruising wind screen, I don't get any bad air noise, even with a half-helmet. For my head, the HJC is a better fit but it still rattles a bit from side to side. Shoei seems to like their helmets to fit right against your face. HJC makes a fairly good fitting full face, but I have to take my glasses off to put it on. I much prefer modulars.

I ordered a XXXL Noland and couldn't even get it on. It may as well have been a beanie.

I'd pay good money for a right-fitting helmet, I like my head, but none of the helmet makers seem to give a crap about my head size and shape and have totally ignored my inquiries. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone who will custom make one for me.

Last edited by a moderator: