R&G Exhaust Protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, Fencer's experience with the aluminum slider possibly contributing to his broken frame has me reconsidering options. I am going to switch to a Delrin or Nylon slider. But in my search I came across these at Bike Johnny......

Can Protector

Anybody installed these on an FJR? A search of the site for products that fit the GENII bikes brought up the can protectors. Anybody have thoughts about their utility? I've noticed people generally get scratches on the stock cans even with a mild tipover, and wondering if this might mitigate minor damage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiny,

I think they might be effective with regards to a tip over when your hard bags are not on the bike. If yours bags are on, those puppies wont even get a scratch... The bags are the only victim back there when their attached. They might even look ok on my Remus Hexacones.

Kind of a neat idea.

WW

Shiny,I think they might be effective with regards to a tip over when your hard bags are not on the bike. If yours bags are on, those puppies wont even get a scratch... The bags are the only victim back there when their attached. They might even look ok on my Remus Hexacones.

Kind of a neat idea.

WW
I should have mentioned I run the bike 80% of the time without bags. I use a small tankbag for commuting, day trips, etc. and bags just for longer trips. I agree they would be useless with the bags on. Think they'd be OK on stock FJR cans?

Well, I finally got my bike back from a six month hiatus, for some rewiring, farkling and such. When I got it back I put on some R&G sliders and can protectors among other items. As promised, here are some pictures of the R&G can protectors installed on a GEN II bike stock cans. I put them on the end as it appears to be the widest portion and I hope would touch down first in a tip over.

The protector is some delrin material shaped over half a big pipe clamp arrangement. Included is some thin rubber to put between the exposed metal section of the clamp and the can in back. You loosen (do not undo the "pipe clamp" as the instructions say, because it was a pain to put back together) the clamp and slide it over the can, tighten when in position desired with the thin separate rubber piece in place, on the backside of the exhaust can. Tighten the clamp with a screwdriver. Then I trimmed the excess pipe clamp material and ground it smooth of rough edges with a dremel. Same on the other side.

Easy, even for a ten thumbs guy like me.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028versiontwo.jpg

Latest posts