Radar jammer install question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebaiyou

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on here about installing electrical gizmos and have gathered that I can tap into the wire going to the taillight to power my radar detector. I like this idea because I'll be mounting the CPU under the seat and grabbing that wire would be easier than the one for the windshield retractor. A couple of questions...

Does the taillight wire provide 12v?

Will tapping into it draw power from the taillight and make it dimmer?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the draw. If your squid transmitter draws 1500 watts...then yeah.....I would say your tail lights would become much dimmer. If it's 0.15 milliwatts....then probably not so much of a problem. But, I would suggest you going to add farkles....consider adding a barrier strip type addition.

And yes.....the FJR is a 12V system all around. ;)

You don't want to just tap into the wire to power your accessories. Really. If something in your accessory blows the fuse then you've got no running lights or taillights. Not good.

Use that wire to trigger a relay, which will switch a separate adequately fused circuit directly from the battery terminal. Or go ahead and get a fuse block like Patriot says.

You know you're not stopping with just one electronic accessory, which means you need the power system eventually. Do it now so you won't have to rebuild everything you've added in the meantime.

If the title of the thread is correct, then be careful. Radar jammers are regulated by the FCC and outlawed because they broadcast radio waves. Lasers are governed by Food and Drug so Laser jammers aren't federally banned but some states have taken individual actions. Know the laws and turn it off in areas where the outcome could be worse than eating a ticket.

Last edited by a moderator: