Radiator fitting?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very likely not. The radiator changed from a flat to a curved affair. Changes between years detailed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
With enough time and money anything can be made to work but there are twin fans etc on the gen 2 rad as opposed to a single fan on the gen 1, there will be other issues as well, inner panel fit will be a problem, where is the filler on the gen 1 compared to the gen 2 bike ? etc

The big question is "WHY?"

#1 - Is your Gen I radiator shot? Full of holes? Rusted out?

#2 - Is your Gen I is overheating? If so then you'd need to find out why. If the reason is because of #1, then the only reason to switch to a Gen II radiator is because you have WAY too much time and money on your hands to go through the process of making it fit, as the Gen I radiator has proven itself to NOT be a problem on Gen I bikes.

But, if you DO have too much time and money on your hands, PLEASE photo-document the process so we can all see what personal hell you have to go through to complete the swap.

:D

#2 - Is your Gen I is overheating? If so then you'd need to find out why. If the reason is because of #1, then the only reason to switch to a Gen II radiator is because you have WAY too much time and money on your hands to go through the process of making it fit, as the Gen I radiator has proven itself to NOT be a problem on Gen I bikes.

But, if you DO have too much time and money on your hands, PLEASE photo-document the process so we can all see what personal hell you have to go through to complete the swap.

Is that kinda like puting a Car tire on a Motorcycle! :p

Dave

Is that kinda like puting a Car tire on a Motorcycle! :p

Dave
Not at all! Installing the car tire was as simple as installing a motorcycle tire. I didn't have to re-engineer the cooling system. If anyone's never pulled the rad on a Feej, it's quite involved...MUCH more than swapping out tires. Also, my car tire has outlived a motorcycle tire so far by a factor of 4 to 1...that's about a savings of over $500. Betcha you can't swap out the radiator on a Gen I for a Gen II rad, including cost of the radiator, for $500. Plus, I've probably got conservatively another 30,000 miles left on my car tire, which means my cost factor is gonna drop much, much more.

And besides...... :p :p :p :p

I quit worrying about those + and - marks a long time ago.

I figure anyone who won't call me out, out in the open, or right to my face, is a chickenshit who's afraid of their own shadow and uses the neenernet to express their displeasure.

Like my dear, deaparted father-in-law told me a long time ago..."Only children and cowards use the telephone to make threats."

Now, the internet is the phone.

(plus, I still got about 150 "minuses" to go just to get me back to 0, so I ain't askeered)

The radiator, sounds like a BAD IDEA to me. I suspect it'll look 'orrible 'cos those bent out sides will stick out in front of the fairing, the original cooling fan won't be as effective, you'll need all Gen II hoses, and you might have to fit a Gen II radiator grill. Mind you, that'll protect the radiator against some of the rocks.

Mind you, I've never done it, so I could be completely wrong. (There's a first time for everything
beee.gif
)

Ok... Who's the fukin tard who minus'd Howies retort??

I bet 'owie done hisself the sorry fuk,

I quit worrying about those + and - marks a long time ago.

(plus, I still got about 150 "minuses" to go just to get me back to 0, so I ain't askeered)

Just go back and click a +, like I just did, and it disappears.
Yes, a simple "+" click works for all three of you!

Remaining anonymously yours ...

My radiator is pretty much shot. I can't get it clean enough for it to cool effectively any more. It's been beat up by enough rocks and I never spent the time to put on the radiator guard that I got from Andy Mills years ago, oops. If I would have realized how easy it was to get the radiator out I would have done it long ago.

I was just asking because I saw a Gen II radiator for sale and was curious if it would fit and if anyone had done it.

Grady

My radiator is pretty much shot. I can't get it clean enough for it to cool effectively any more. It's been beat up by enough rocks and I never spent the time to put on the radiator guard that I got from Andy Mills years ago, oops. If I would have realized how easy it was to get the radiator out I would have done it long ago.

I was just asking because I saw a Gen II radiator for sale and was curious if it would fit and if anyone had done it.

Grady
Good answer...albeit a little late! :lol:

But I think your best bet is plug-n-play a Gen I radiator.

Grady
Good answer...albeit a little late! :lol:

But I think your best bet is plug-n-play a Gen I radiator.
Yeah, I was gone last week out in the Black Hills riding my horse so no chance to get on here. I think you're probably right, I was just checking to see if anyone had done this. Since it doesn't look like an already completed solution, I'll just look for a Gen I radiator.

Grady