Radiator Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a COX radiator guard from Ebay (Maybe someone here?) I bought it for some

specific upcoming rides such as the UCC (Key West - Alaska) My wonderings are these:

Does the guard restrict airflow to the point of engine heat change?

Can I install it and leave it on permanently/ or should I remove it and use it only when needed?

I live in Florida, so cooling is a concern of mine.

Thanks, Tony

Bastard! Was this auction a week or so ago? If so, you're the cocksucker that outbid me!

You can leave it on permanently. It blocks or restricts practically zero air. There are others out there that are more restrictive, but the Cox is fine. I had mine on for 225k with no issues, even in 120 degree Arizona paradise. And judging by some the good sized dents in it, I do believe it saved my ass a few times. The Cox rad guard is definitely on my 'must have' farkle list.

Can I install it and leave it on permanently/ or should I remove it and use it only when needed?
Never in the 120,000+ miles I had my on did I feel it restricted flow enough to worry...in the 45 or so states I've ridden from 10 to about 120 degrees.

I took it off just last week for transfer over to my new FJR and gave it a convenient scrubbing....otherwise I'd leave it on. You can still clean through it..and it just blocks bigger rocks from holing the radiator. I found one dent in it...with no corresponding dent in the radiator fins.....indicating it did it's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastard! Was this auction a week or so ago? If so, you're the cocksucker that outbid me!

You can leave it on permanently. It blocks or restricts practically zero air. There are others out there that are more restrictive, but the Cox is fine. I had mine on for 225k with no issues, even in 120 degree Arizona paradise. And judging by some the good sized dents in it, I do believe it saved my ass a few times. The Cox rad guard is definitely on my 'must have' farkle list.
Skooter G,

Yes sir- guilty as charged. I had to leave for work 8 hours before the close of that auction. I just threw up a

Max bid of $36.08. I came home surprised to find it held up at $36.01! If you were the late bidder... $1 more

and it would be sitting in your garage now- LOL... :p

Never in the 120,000+ miles I had my on did I feel it restricted flow enough to worry...in the 45 or so states I've ridden from 10 to about 120 degrees.

I took it off just last week for transfer over to my new FJR and gave it a convenient scrubbing....otherwise I'd leave it on. You can still clean through it..and it just blocks bigger rocks from holing the radiator. I found one dent in it...with no corresponding dent in the radiator fins.....indicating it did it's job.
Matt,

New FJR ???

Please tell me more, as I must have missed some posting?

Gen 1 ... another '05? I am looking for another gen 1 as I plan to

convert this bike for rally(s).

Skooter G,

Yes sir- guilty as charged. I had to leave for work 8 hours before the close of that auction. I just threw up a

Max bid of $36.08. I came home surprised to find it held up at $36.01! If you were the late bidder... $1 more

Bwaaaaaaaa!!! :rofl: :lol2: :haha: Poor lil' feller

101stpathfinder -

FJR Pilot -

I'm almost certain I was the guy who bid last on that COX grill cover fro eBay.

Was the one you purchased from a guy who originally ordered the wrong one?......he wanted a 3rd generation COX, but inadvertantly ordered a 2nd generation.

nummy

Skooter G,