Rain[coat]

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first response, what about rain-ex?

Then I looked at the article..

"You'd think it would be easy, but apparently not. "What about Rain-X?", you might ask -- and I did too. But apparently Rain-X is designed to be used on glass only, not polycarbonate motorcycle helmet visors."

Oh. Glad I didn't put it on my visor. Was just looking at the bottle last night thinking about how I need to do this on the windshield and visor. Maybe I'll pick some of this stuff up instead.

Interesting, but a good automotive paste wax (non-abrasive) or liquid wax will do the same thing and you already have it on your shelf, most likely.

I've always wondered what the mystery is about this topic of hydro-repellents for plastics. :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think RainX would work just fine. In fact the next time I go on a group ride I will just do everyone's helmet while their eating lunch. Should make for a fun after lunch ride!! :D

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Rain-X for years on my Shoei RF200 visor and had no problems. Living in the rainy PNW and riding year 'round, I can tell you that Rain-X was a life saver. On my Blackbird I used to get a lot of rain on the helmet, but my FJR with Vstream shield blocks rain pretty good. I haven't found the need to put anything on my new Pinlock shield on my Shoei RF900.

Rain-X and plastic are a hit-and-miss proposition. I have used it in the past and did not experienced any problems. I watched a friend use it and subsequently turn his windshield into a nice, milky-hazed mess. I don't understand the science, I just tell the story.

Latest posts