rain gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim T

Reaction score
do you guys carry extra rain gear, our just use the liners that come with most jackets and pants. If you carry extra rain gear what brand do you like. Thanks Jim T

do you guys carry extra rain gear, our just use the liners that come with most jackets and pants. If you carry extra rain gear what brand do you like. Thanks Jim T
I don't get caught in the rain too much but I did get it 4 times this year. All 4 times I had on my First Gear HT overpants and my Tourmaaster Transition jacket. I was riding behind a v-stream windshield at the time. I did not have any problems. The longest I was int he rain was about 20-25 minutes.

Frogg Toggs!! Weights 4.5 ounce,calapses tight and it breathes. Need that here in Texas!
Don't know if I can recommend Frogg Toggs...mine are 9 years old and are starting to show some wear.

But they ARE wonderfully light. Need better sealing on the chest zipper though.

I give 'em a +.75.

Tourmaster Defender.

Sally and I both have the combo gear - Tourmaster textile with removable waterproof liner and thermal liner. If you think about it that system is backwards. Leave the house with the textile jacket on, then it starts to rain, so you stop and take off the jacket and take off the pants to put the waterproof liners in, then put everything back on again over wet boots. Hey it's raining!!! Why don't they go OVER the textile? So I leave the waterproof liners home and take the Defender suits along. They go over the clothing. They are not much heavier than the Toggs, which we had and wore out in 4 years. Also my Toggs always seeped a little around the front zipper and at the top around the collar I could never get that right.

I use the Cyleport/Motoport Goretex zip in (though you don't have to) liners when I am out in the rain. Which, so far, is not very ofter.

+1 on the Tour Master Defender. Lighter and packs smaller than the Sentinel, and MUCH easier to put on!!!

Cheaper, too.

+1 on SHRuum and Frogg Toggs. I used mine at SFO last month and on our Saturday ride we got rain big time. I was riding with 4 others. When we stopped for lunch and took off our rain gear I was the only one completely dry. Several of them were wearing much more expensive gear than me. With that, I was sold on the Frogg Toggs. JMO.

+1 on SHRuum and Frogg Toggs. I used mine at SFO last month and on our Saturday ride we got rain big time. I was riding with 4 others. When we stopped for lunch and took off our rain gear I was the only one completely dry. Several of them were wearing much more expensive gear than me. With that, I was sold on the Frogg Toggs. JMO.
+1 on the Frogg Toggs - been using 'em for five years and really tested 'em out the rainy SFO rally.

I was nice and dry the entire time.

So, did Frogg Toggs do something to seal up the front better?

My old Toggs have nothing but snaps on the jacket front and water eventually gets in. Needs full length velcro PLUS snaps.

Are newer models different?

I've had a Fieldsheer suit for 14 years that still works like it's supposed to. Features you want to look for would be some kind of breathable liner built in, velcro closures, neoprene or corduroy neck, suspenders on pants along with zippered gussets with elastic and boot stirrups. Most decent suits have such features and can be found for $75-85 or less.

Check out Tour Master, Nelson Rigg, Fieldsheer.

Firstgear rainman jacket and pants for summer and early fall or late spring good stuff. Firstgear Killmanjaro jacket and HT over pants the rest of the time. Cant beat Firstgear if your tall short or normal they cater to all unlike most other ridding gear. just my .02

LDR1

Have heard the Frog Togg name around for some time but have never seen a set first hand. Looking at their web page [thanks for the link Patriot] it looks as if they at least comprehend how the larger sizes are supposed to translate in terms of actual inches! Looking at the [rather small] photos, it appears that the jacket may be a little "short-waisted", and they don't state that dimension in the size chart, so it's a bit hard to tell for sure. Being 6'2" w/ a 32" inseam, I'm between average & slightly long-waisted. Can any of you bigger guyz gimme your guestimation on the pant/jacket overlap factor from experience? Price definitely seems reasonable and the packability is a neat feature. May have to grab a set!

I wear dedicated rain gear in the summer over my mesh gear. In the cooler months when I am wearing my winter gear, that gear happens to be waterproof.

I heard Frogg Toggs were so great, I bought some. I do not understand the draw that a lot of folks have to the these. Boy, was I ever hugely disappointed. I have a list... a small list, but a hugely important list of why these are garbage.

In my opinion, do not waste your money on those. Buy a real motorcycle specific rainsuit.

I'm on my 2nd set of Frogg Toggs. 1st set lasted me 5 years and worked great. 2nd set doesn't perform as good as the first. I used to be a big proponent of them, but, now, not so much.

I wear dedicated rain gear in the summer over my mesh gear. In the cooler months when I am wearing my winter gear, that gear happens to be waterproof.
I heard Frogg Toggs were so great, I bought some. I do not understand the draw that a lot of folks have to the these. Boy, was I ever hugely disappointed. I have a list... a small list, but a hugely important list of why these are garbage.

In my opinion, do not waste your money on those. Buy a real motorcycle specific rainsuit.
I'd love to read your list, to cross reference with my gripes.

The zipper on the top doesn't seem to work as well as previous generations. Granted, in a moderate rain, everything is fine. But, if you're doing multiple hours in a driving rain, these new ones don't seem to work as well.

In comparison, with my old set, I did a ride to New Hampshire - 600 miles and 550 were in the rain - very heavy at times (cars off the side of the road with 4-ways on waiting for it to pass). I was completely dry with the exception of the bottom of my pantleg was a little damp. A few weeks ago, I rode home from Virginia in similar conditions. Rain seeped through the top zipper (zipper zipped all the way to the top and flap covering the zipper was closed) and, knowing how gravity works, it lookes like I had 'an accident' when I took the bottoms off. Also, thanks to FT for putting that access panel in so that I can reach in my pockets, but, they need to come up with a better fastening system 'cause that one snap in the middle of the access panel doesn't keep the rain out. Finally, the elastic at the bottom must not be as strong. Got home, wet line down the center of my chest, wet crotch, wet pockets, wet pantleg bottoms.

They are great for playing golf in the rain, though.