Rain Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Weather report today = "Sun followed by rain". Hmm. Nice opportunity to see what works in the wet, so off I go. My reasoning was to see what works in the wet close to home rather than being on the road and finding out what I think I know just sucks when the sky opens up.

The results? A freaking disaster.

Here are the problems encountered over my 80 mile wet ride, and please post up with solutions you have found..

1. Faceshield fogging. Riding across the "high mountain pass", with sudden temperature drop, my face shield fogged so badly I simply could not see more than 20 feet ahead. With traffic running 60 mph front and rear, not good. Lifting the shield simply meant that my prescription glasses, which I really DO need to see with, became wet and useless.

I stopped at Chevron gas station and applied nuclear power approved fogging agent, and it was useless.

1b. What do you use for preventing fogging that works? I mean, really works.

1b1. Anyone using the helmet 'mask' that seperates the shield from the nostril/mouth? Does it really work?

1b2. Anyone use forced warm air, e.g. the opposite of what Baja drivers use to provide cool air into the helmet?

[SIZE=8pt]I personally think this idea has great merit. A simple 100 watt heater forcing warm air into the interior helmet, blown into [/SIZE]

the face shield... yummy.. a nice warm head, a forever clear shield... a defroster for motorcylecists... I just might retire from this idea..

2. Not all aftermarket parts work good together. Recently I decided to run the CBailey headlight lense protectors. These are a consumable plastic 'overlay' that take the brunt of rocks etc. to save the high dollar OEM lenses from damage. The problem - they cause a horrific amount of 're-generated' light reflected back on the Rifle windshield when in the low position. The position needed when to have the airstream clear the visor of rain.

I'm not sure how to stop this problem other than removing the CB's and just buying new OEM lenses when needed. The amount of light reflection is beyond acceptable, almost blinding; the thought that I could read a book from the light reflected back by the wind screen may only be a s*light* exgareation.

2b. Any ideas to fix this problem?

3. Of course, I can position the windshield to where the reflected light doesn't blind, but then my helmet is exposed fully to wind which results in problem #4...

4. I ride with an Arai XD helmet. Great helmet for summer, and I really like the visor, I love it, espcially since my true love is with dirt bikes, MX, and Enduro riding. But, as a winter helmet, I have to say it sucks. Rain penetrates the seal, coating the *inner* shield as well as the outer surface, which really hurts. Then it fogs up.. Which totally sucks.

4a. What helmets do you use that are completely rain free on the inside shield, even after hours in the rain?

5. Boots. I read Iggie's IBR report in detail, twice. He had wet Oxtar feet. His riding bud, oh my gawd I have CRSS bad right now, had dry feet.

5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?

6. Tires; I'm currently using a Pilot Road front, Metz ME880 rear. Twice, tonight, while kind-a but not really-ah pushing the corners, the ME880 was, ahem, less than optimal; one slide was worthy of a true dirt tracker, and while predictable, and responsive, not welcomed.

6b. What tires do you run in wet weather? And why?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a miserable ride. Glad you came through it safe though.

Avoiding fogging with prescription glasses in rain: Nothing I have found works well.

But I do find that in a similar situation, I make a conscious effort to breath down; that is I hook my upper lip over my bottom and the air is directed past my chin and seems to help a lot. After a short time it feels natural and I stop thinking about it; if I stop the fogging reminds me to do it again. Cracking the faceshild helps, but as you found out, at speed it just causes more problems. Never found a mouth shield much help and I rip them out when I get a new helmet. Every once in a while I pull over and wipe everything down when fogging gets really bad.

I guarantee your mileage will vary.

Boots: I live in rain a lot up here in the PNW. I don't have a lot of choice with 13EEE feet: Cruiserworks boots I own have almost 30,000 miles on them and not one drop of rain has gotten through. Regular polishing three or four times a year helps. Reminds me I need to mail them in to be rebuilt (the soles and heals are a little worn).

Hope that helps you or another rider. I'm interested in the replies your post generates.....

Breathing down (as mentioned before) and run with your windshield up (if you didn't in this instance) helps with keeping the fogging down. (I also wear glasses)

I'll have a tear at this seeing as I can't sleep this morning.

Me = Former development and Pro rider with Mitsui Yamaha motocross team in UK and Belgium, now 45, been riding 37 years, owned around 70 bikes, currently have 9

1. Yes the little helmet mask that came with my Shoei does work, however, I don't like the way it feels so, in the rain, I have the bikes Rifle windshield fully up and crack open the helmet visor 1 click, I too have prescription glasses, have also had good results with anti fog that I use in my scuba diving mask, although it does need to be applied fairly regular.

2. Lens protector seems to an item that addresses a problem that never existed, have 33,000 miles on the Enterprise and my stock plastic lens covers are fine, a little pitted, however, I buff them with some Maguires cutting compound occasionally and they look great. A friend bought the aftermarket cover you refer to and it blew off his bike at about 145mph when we were on our way to Monterey CA in 05.

4. Shoei X-tec helmet, with the visor closed, does not allow any water in, the Arai XD is listed as a Motard helmet, where speeds are much lower, and is not considered for road use, get a high end full face helmet designed to be used in all weathers and that problem will be eliminated.

5. I have the Oxtar Matrix boot and it is completely waterproof, been through many a down pour and never experienced any wet foot, I also ride with an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit which covers most of the boot, neither have let any moisture in.

6. Tires are like oil, many opinions, I use the Avon Storms, front and rear, good road holding, warm up pretty quick, soft enough for the occasional track day, and the absolute best rain tire I have ever had on a motorcycle, yet I can get about 8k out of a front and around 5k out of a rear about $240 for the pair, shipped from www.swmototire.com (always free shipping on 2 tires or more).

Skippy

1. My new RF-1000 fogs something terrible in the rain, and all cold weather for that matter, even though it has that nose/chin mask. The nose/chin mask work however b/c with the nose mask out it is noticably worse. I have found that riding with the stock wind screen down a little more (offering less protection from the wind/cold), it doesnt fog up. I dont yet have a solution but am looking into their fogging lens (PINLOCK system?) which fits inside the existing lens...any FB from others would be appreicated before I lay down some change for that. I once used rain-X type products on an old, cheap helmet...now that worked great but I have heard since then that it is a big no-no, and I dont want to find out on my much more expensive helmet that I have trashed a lens.

2. Afriad I cant offer much help here as I do not have the lens protectors on the bike.

4. No problems with my RF-1000 in torrential rain here. I recently had a 250 mile round trip ride to Louisville where I dont think it stopped raining one time and no leakage around the visor or through the mouthpiece.

5. OK, I know they arent 'riding boots' but I'll be damn if my Vasque Sundowners arent the best damn all-around boots out there. I hope to buy a pair of riding boots soon, but after 35k miles in these things, about 1/4 of that in the rain, they have never leaked once...not so much as a drop. And in temps as low as 0 for 50 mile commutes my toes stay toasty warm. They have steel toes, over the ankle protection and have been my choice for riding mainly b/c they are so comfortable and versatile.

6. No issue here with the Storms although this one will ellicit more opinions than what types of oil to use in the bike. My Azaros and Storms performed well in the rain, but then again, most of my commute is interstate...I dont tempt the twisties either. My initial concerns over the Storms is somewhat abatted now as I getting what for me amounts to great mileage out of them. 6500 miles on the front and rear and they have quite a bit of life left in them...compare that to the Azaro's with 6k front and 7k rear and I can say I am happy with the dual compound. Nonetheless, I will be trying PR2's the next go around to try something different. They can be had for ~13% premium over the Storms and if they offer even greater life/reliability it might be worth a try.

1. My new RF-1000 fogs something terrible in the rain, and all cold weather for that matter, even though it has that nose/chin mask. The nose/chin mask work however b/c with the nose mask out it is noticably worse. I have found that riding with the stock wind screen down a little more (offering less protection from the wind/cold), it doesnt fog up. I dont yet have a solution but am looking into their fogging lens (PINLOCK system?) which fits inside the existing lens...any FB from others would be appreicated before I lay down some change for that. I once used rain-X type products on an old, cheap helmet...now that worked great but I have heard since then that it is a big no-no, and I dont want to find out on my much more expensive helmet that I have trashed a lens.
I have an RF-1000 and a stock windshield and I must leave it down a little and breathe down also.

I tried the Fog City anti-fog insert, similar to the Pinlock, but it would not stay stuck to the visor, and when moisture gets between the visor and the insert, you really have problems.

I have found that Zooke anti fog helps, but does not completely eliminate the problem.

Sorry, haven't found a boot that is completely waterproof yet, and as for tires, I just slow it way down and don't push it.

eth

Hello dbvolfan;

1. I'm using Schubert C2 and I do not have any extraordinary fogging problems. In heavey rain I just open the lid 1 millimeter and the fresh air will get rid of the fog. I do ride with safety glasses all the time .

2. Just bought the lens protectors together with the lowest Cee-Bailey. I've just starting mounting the screen, so do not ave any proven facts about the reflection of the lens protectors, but with this low cut Cee Bailey I do not thing I'll get any problems as it will be a quite bit lower than stock windshield/screen.

3. Blank

4. Blank

5. I use touring boots, the brand is Lindstrands. I think is Swedish made, and the boots are dry when properly maintained.

Per today it is snowing outside....so just longing for the Spring !!! :yahoo:

Like others I ride in the rain/cold with the visor up one notch to get air through the helmet. However, this means you now have water running on the outside and inside of the visor further decreasing visability. So, I then took a 6 inch piece of small (1/8"?) foam door/window weather stripping and stuck it on the helmet just above the visor upper seal. Now the top of the visor is sealed even though the visor is not all the way down. But, if you seal all of the top with the weather striping you again don't have enough airflow, so seal most of it, leaving a couple of inches on each end so there is still adequate airfow.

For rain I have a Tour Master rain suit that works good, but if it is warm out, you'll be just as wet from sweating in the thing as if you had nothing. On the other hand, it is good as an overlayer in the cold weather to stay warm.

For boots I just have a pair of 8" high waterproof insulated workboots that I treat with Mink oil. Works fine. The insulated boot actualy seem to keep your feet cooler in the summer as they keep the engine heat off of you, and warm in the winter. If it's really cold out I just go with an extra pair of socks.

I came up with this Idea on my ride up in BC during one of the cold downpours.

I took my shield off the helmet, and stretched some electrical tape over the top outside of the shield. I only covered about 1/4"- of the plastic face shield. The tape laid inward. Then I carefully put the tape on the inside as to stick to the out side tape and shield. This made a tight gasket on the top of the face shield to helmet, and I could still open the helmet or shield without a problem.

Then I added some self sticking Velcro to the helmets chin peace in order to keep the face shield open enough to get a constant air flow in. (I used the soft Velcro only) this worked.

The tape on top worked to keep the rain from dripping in on my face and glasses. The air flow was enough to keep the glasses from fogging.

I still used the anti fog on the glasses and shield.

Boots I have are water proof military issue, with removable liner.

Bob

Helmet: I've got the same arai....I use it exclusively for dirt. I can't imagine doing anything distance/touring oriented with it, and may look a bit 'hooligan'-y on the FJR. :)

I'd advise investing in another helmet....won't make any recommendations here, they are already everywhere!

For anti-fogging, I've got both a shoei pinlock and fog-city (on an arai). The pinlock lost its seal after 3 years or so....found out the hard way in the snow after getting caught out in a 'thunderstorm' in the mountains. Bought a new pinlock inner lens and it seems to be fine again. Fog city was fine, I had the one where it 'darkened' i the sunlight. After a couple years, it seems to have lost its ability to change colors. I bought another inner visor. haven't installed it yet tho. I think both work reasonably well.

I've pulled out the little nose things to make your breath go down. They just get annoying, I do try to breath down on my own.

boots: I've got a pair of old oxtar ones (gore-tex) that they probably don't make anymore. They worked fine, haven't tried out my new dainese boots in the rain. I hear Daytona do a good job in the wet.

good luck.....

Weather report today = "Sun followed by rain". Hmm. Nice opportunity to see what works in the wet, so off I go. My reasoning was to see what works in the wet close to home rather than being on the road and finding out what I think I know just sucks when the sky opens up.
The results? A freaking disaster.

Here are the problems encountered over my 80 mile wet ride, and please post up with solutions you have found..

1. Faceshield fogging. Riding across the "high mountain pass", with sudden temperature drop, my face shield fogged so badly I simply could not see more than 20 feet ahead. With traffic running 60 mph front and rear, not good. Lifting the shield simply meant that my prescription glasses, which I really DO need to see with, became wet and useless.

I stopped at Chevron gas station and applied nuclear power approved fogging agent, and it was useless.

1b. What do you use for preventing fogging that works? I mean, really works.

1b1. Anyone using the helmet 'mask' that seperates the shield from the nostril/mouth? Does it really work?

1b2. Anyone use forced warm air, e.g. the opposite of what Baja drivers use to provide cool air into the helmet?

[SIZE=8pt]I personally think this idea has great merit. A simple 100 watt heater forcing warm air into the interior helmet, blown into [/SIZE]

the face shield... yummy.. a nice warm head, a forever clear shield... a defroster for motorcylecists... I just might retire from this idea..

2. Not all aftermarket parts work good together. Recently I decided to run the CBailey headlight lense protectors. These are a consumable plastic 'overlay' that take the brunt of rocks etc. to save the high dollar OEM lenses from damage. The problem - they cause a horrific amount of 're-generated' light reflected back on the Rifle windshield when in the low position. The position needed when to have the airstream clear the visor of rain.

I'm not sure how to stop this problem other than removing the CB's and just buying new OEM lenses when needed. The amount of light reflection is beyond acceptable, almost blinding; the thought that I could read a book from the light reflected back by the wind screen may only be a s*light* exgareation.

2b. Any ideas to fix this problem?

3. Of course, I can position the windshield to where the reflected light doesn't blind, but then my helmet is exposed fully to wind which results in problem #4...

4. I ride with an Arai XD helmet. Great helmet for summer, and I really like the visor, I love it, espcially since my true love is with dirt bikes, MX, and Enduro riding. But, as a winter helmet, I have to say it sucks. Rain penetrates the seal, coating the *inner* shield as well as the outer surface, which really hurts. Then it fogs up.. Which totally sucks.

4a. What helmets do you use that are completely rain free on the inside shield, even after hours in the rain?

5. Boots. I read Iggie's IBR report in detail, twice. He had wet Oxtar feet. His riding bud, oh my gawd I have CRSS bad right now, had dry feet.

5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?

6. Tires; I'm currently using a Pilot Road front, Metz ME880 rear. Twice, tonight, while kind-a but not really-ah pushing the corners, the ME880 was, ahem, less than optimal; one slide was worthy of a true dirt tracker, and while predictable, and responsive, not welcomed.

6b. What tires do you run in wet weather? And why?!
Hi there,

I ride almost all winter (and summer) in all sorts of conditions, so I may be able to shed some light on your problems.

Firstly, I am also a "glass" wearer, so being able to see clearly is a high safety need.

My winter helmet is an Arai Quantum with a fog city photochromatic insert (changes color to blue in the bright sun) inside the clear visor.

Please be advised that "fog inserts" can give you a "halo" effect during night time use, meaning lights of cars etc seem to have a "star" and "halo" surrounding them.

If you have not used a fog insert before, it is my advice to use it during the day, near your home, until you get a feel for the light distortion that is noticeable to me, even wearing glasses or not.

To help, but not entirely cure, the issue of the glass lens from condensing I use "fog off". My preparation is to use the fog off (can be bought from Cycle gear) on each side of the glass lens's every two days. I use a new clean micro fiber cloth to get rid of any residue left over from the application.

I also have a Shoei X-11 lid (summer lid) with a clear visor and a "pin lock" anti fogging insert, works well in the early part of spring.

As for some more techniques to avoid fogging make sure you open the garage door early before your ride, leave lid and glasses overnight in the garage to bring to a lower outside temperature, nearer to ambient temperature, and when the bike is warming up, suit up, leave putting on those glasses until the last minute.

As you ride away from home "crack the lid" open a little so as to try and get the outside air temperature to match your face temperature, which is higher, resulting in condensation.

A real good check on the sealing of the visor against the seal is vital, spread a little silicone paste (one that came with your helmet) around the helmet seal, close visor and lock, now open visor.

Take visor off carefully and check to see that the silicone has left an even amount around the outer edges of the visor. If not, adjust as per helemt instructions the sealing of the visor against the seal on the lid.

Boots: Frank Thomas "Aqua" ones work well and are breathable, so are Alpinestars, which I use all the time. Look at Cycle gear for some deals on these boots.

Tires: My bike has ME sportec Z6, front and back. Good rain and dry compound and reasonable wear for the type of riding I personally do.

Hope this helps you.

Ride safe.

PENLOCK works for me along with anti-fog on the glasses. I start off with a click on the visor, but am usually able to close up tight as long as I'm moving. Cruiserworks haven't leaked a drop in the last 5 years. Aerostich 2 piece Darin for overwear. Spent 3 days in rain at a riding school back in the fall and everything stayed dry.

jim

i, too, have had probs with fogging, and it's bad, as it is dangerous and can get you in trouble real quick. i have a shoei rf-1000 and it fogs bad. on my last shield i had a fog city insert and it worked very well. you just had to get over the lines of the insert running the circumference of the shoei shield. the shield got so scratched up, i had to get a new shield, so i have to get another fog city. i considered the pinlock, but that's a lotta cash---first you gotta buy the insert, but then you have to buy the shield to accommodate the insert? it was a couple years ago that i looked into it, if memory serves, and it was going to be around $100? i can't justify that expense when i can get a fog city for, what, $30?

hth,

dean

cincinnati

i, too, have had probs with fogging, and it's bad, as it is dangerous and can get you in trouble real quick. i have a shoei rf-1000 and it fogs bad. on my last shield i had a fog city insert and it worked very well. you just had to get over the lines of the insert running the circumference of the shoei shield. the shield got so scratched up, i had to get a new shield, so i have to get another fog city. i considered the pinlock, but that's a lotta cash---first you gotta buy the insert, but then you have to buy the shield to accommodate the insert? it was a couple years ago that i looked into it, if memory serves, and it was going to be around $100? i can't justify that expense when i can get a fog city for, what, $30?
hth,

dean

cincinnati
Agreed, but you can transfer the old penlock to the new visor.

jim

Though I don't recall where it came from I have the stick on film from 3M on the lights. You have to shape and cut it to fit but you won't have any refection or blowing off issues.

:jester:

I use the spray-on stuff from Kleer Vu on cold or rainy days to eliminate fogging. Spendy stuff, but it works great.

1. Faceshield fogging.
I find the "combination" of windshield angle and face shield open. For the rain and cold, I have the windshield 3/4 up and my Shoei faceshield open against the "vent" position (about 1/2 click) or 1 click on another brand. I also have the chin vents open. This allows fresh air in and the windshield angle blows most of the rain over my head.

2. Not all aftermarket parts work good together. Recently I decided to run the CBailey headlight lense protectors. These are a consumable plastic 'overlay' that take the brunt of rocks etc. to save the high dollar OEM lenses from damage. The problem - they cause a horrific amount of 're-generated' light reflected back on the Rifle windshield when in the low position. The position needed when to have the airstream clear the visor of rain. I'm not sure how to stop this problem other than removing the CB's and just buying new OEM lenses when needed. The amount of light reflection is beyond acceptable, almost blinding; the thought that I could read a book from the light reflected back by the wind screen may only be a s*light* exgareation.
I do get refracted light when my windshield is all the way down....but I rarely run it that way.

You could remove the covers in the Winter. In my area, thrown gravel is mostly a Summer problem.

4. I ride with an Arai XD helmet. Great helmet for summer, and I really like the visor, I love it, espcially since my true love is with dirt bikes, MX, and Enduro riding. But, as a winter helmet, I have to say it sucks. Rain penetrates the seal, coating the *inner* shield as well as the outer surface, which really hurts. Then it fogs up.. Which totally sucks.4a. What helmets do you use that are completely rain free on the inside shield, even after hours in the rain?
I have a Shoei RF-1000. See answer to question #1. I rode from Sacramento to L.A. in the rain (and back, 3 days later, just because....) and I didn't have any problems. Maybe you need a good "street" helmet?

5. Boots. I read Iggie's IBR report in detail, twice. He had wet Oxtar feet. His riding bud, oh my gawd I have CRSS bad right now, had dry feet.5b. What winter boots do you use that are are *water-fooking-proof*? Not water *resistant* but water phooking-proof?
I use Oxtar Matrix. (Refer to "rode to L.A. in the rain) Dry feet. However, I am not opposed to putting a little paste shoe polish on them and spraying with water repellant (like Kiwi Camp Dry).

6. Tires; I'm currently using a Pilot Road front, Metz ME880 rear. Twice, tonight, while kind-a but not really-ah pushing the corners, the ME880 was, ahem, less than optimal; one slide was worthy of a true dirt tracker, and while predictable, and responsive, not welcomed.6b.

What tires do you run in wet weather? And why?!
ME880s are a notably "hard" tire and there have been published cautions about "pushing" them in the dry. Add to that mix wet roads???!!!!????!!!! IF I were to use 880s, I would certainly match the front for wet conditions (PR-rear). I've ridden 'Stone BT021s and Pilot Roads in the rain and had no problems. OTH, the OEM 'Stone 020s (on my '04) were "interesting" but easily predictable if one used their head.

The only anti-fog I've ever found to work was the pin-lock that came with my Nolan. I've since lost and haven't been able to find a replacement :(

I have the alpine star Gortex waterproof boots, and they are in fact waterproof.

Tires - no comment.

Glove covers: Aerostitch tripple digits.

Get rid of the head light covers.