Raising the 2014 tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankyaf

Reaction score
Quick question ... I'd like to raise the gas tank on my 2014 but there's an extra panel (compared to my 04) behind the tank that Ive removed the screws and quick fasteners on. Does it just require a tug to pull it free or am I missing something?

I think it's the same as a Gen II, in which case pull the front out, then slide it back to free the other tag. These pics might help:

(Click on image for larger view)

And don't forget to slacken the nut on the "hinge" bolt

I use a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on those tags when I put it back, makes it easier next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a little further explanation (to supplement the pics), if there is a wrap-around panel like a Gen II, then on that panel you have a couple of "plug" type fasteners that you want to pull straight out of the rubber grommets (I think one on each side), then you pull straight back to free those hinge fasteners.

There is interference with the fairing panel on a Gen 3 when you pry the panel away from the rubber grommets.

Different to a Gen 2 as in mcatrophy's pics, esp the top right picture.

Also as Spud mentioned above, the plastic panel has to come straight back after both plugs are free.

If not you will bust 2 little plastic keepers that fit over tangs at the end of the tank.

A service manual may be helpful or a online microfiche.

I know of 2 instances where dealers have broken them.

I got mine back from the dealer after the 600 mile service and noticed the left side of the wrap around panel was loose. I looked behind it and the rubber grommet was not there, so I proceeded to remove the panel so I could order a new grommet. It must have been stuck between the panel and the tank because I noticed it on the floor once the panel was removed.

During reinstall, the rubber grommets tended to come loose if I didn't push the panel forward so that the plugs went straight into the grommets. I'd removed this panel dozens of times on my 09 and those rubber grommets never came loose. Not sure if it's just my 14 or they changed something on the gen IIIs so those grommets don't fit as tightly into the holes.

Sure enough in the pics I can see where the Gen III fairing comes back past the frame, and on the Gen II photo you can see the frame between fairing and tank....

So does that fairing panel have to come off on the Gen III first?

img.jpg

web-7L1O8378.jpg

Luckily no !

There is enough free movement of the fairing plastics to allow the "plug" to come free.

Also, I can easily see how the dealer botched up the attempt to re-install the plugs into the grommets.

I couldn't get it right the first attempt. I had a real good looky and made sure they lined up correctly.

Hard to do with the fairing plastics in the way.

Nope. 2 screws at the front of the tank. Loosen the bolt in the rear. Pull the 2 pins and tilt it up from the front.