Ram mount (brake/clutch) HB1 part

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
Hey, first off finding the difference between SAE and Metric isn't as obvious as they say. I'm still not sure if I have right screws. I have tried to install these dang things. It should be simple and straight forward. I followed the directions with putting lock washer and then through HB ram and then spacers and into the bike. It just won't tighten up to the point where the clutch won't rotate on the bar.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried both sets of screws too.

Thanks,

Dave

I have tried to install these dang things. It should be simple and straight forward. I followed the directions with putting lock washer and then through HB ram and then spacers and into the bike. It just won't tighten up to the point where the clutch won't rotate on the bar.

Thanks,

Dave
Hmmmmm, I have mine mounted without spacers. I went to my local Ace hardware store with the original bolt. I bought a corresponding diameter/thread allen head bolt with enough extra length to compensate for the thickness of the ram mount. Then I came home and installed it.

Mine has held on the brake side for 32K miles, then I moved it to the clutch side for the last 5K miles...without a problem.

Is it possible you have stripped the threads? You should be able to thread the bolts into the tapped hole "by hand". Try setting the Ram mount aside and just threading the bolts into the clutch bracket to make sure everything is "copacetic". Check the distance from the U'bracket to the shoulder of the bolt head. If the threads are okay, perhaps you don't "need" the spacers.

I have tried to install these dang things. It should be simple and straight forward. I followed the directions with putting lock washer and then through HB ram and then spacers and into the bike. It just won't tighten up to the point where the clutch won't rotate on the bar.

Thanks,

Dave
Hmmmmm, I have mine mounted without spacers. I went to my local Ace hardware store with the original bolt. I bought a corresponding diameter/thread allen head bolt with enough extra length to compensate for the thickness of the ram mount. Then I came home and installed it.

Mine has held on the brake side for 32K miles, then I moved it to the clutch side for the last 5K miles...without a problem.

Is it possible you have stripped the threads? You should be able to thread the bolts into the tapped hole "by hand". Try setting the Ram mount aside and just threading the bolts into the clutch bracket to make sure everything is "copacetic". Check the distance from the U'bracket to the shoulder of the bolt head. If the threads are okay, perhaps you don't "need" the spacers.

Tried without spacers. Didn't work. I'll try your advice on bolts only. I'm just thinking about sending back and getting a different mounting option.

Dave

Dave, I have the allen head bolts, a lock washer and a flat washer (because the HB-1 has a slot and the allen heads are small). Let us know how that works.

Aha!! Did you strip out the threads, or are you still going to be able to buy metric screws and attach the mount?

The HB-1 I bought for my KLR came with SAE and Metric screws. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha!! Did you strip out the threads, or are you still going to be able to buy metric screws and attach the mount?
The HB-1 I bought for my KLR came with SAE and Metric screws. :unsure:

I was able to put back the original screws. So if I did strip it out... I wasn't too much. I am concerned about that, however.

Dave

Those threads are plenty deep. I'd go the route I did. Buy some correct diameter/pitch bolts of an appropriate length and attach the HB-1.