Ram mount question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
BOught a Ram mount that screws on in place of the large nut between the handlebars.

installed the mount and "snugged it up" where the rotation on the mount was where I wanted it. then I noticed looseness in the front end!!!

the design of the mount is such that the support arm for the brackets for mounting accessories cannot be rotated independently of the base which screws on to the top of the triple tree pivot shaft. (I expected a better design for $100!)

anyone know how to install the mount and have the rotation end up correct for the mount brackets while still getting it tight enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
As you probably know the stem nut should be torqued to 85 ft/lbs.

I don't understand why a ball mount would care about the rotation.

My TechMount allowed me to set the angle after the nut was torqued.

What brand mount do you have.

Pictures?

I have a ram mount on my stem nut for my GPS, I can rotate it to what ever orientation I need. It also cost a lot less than $100.00

The reference to the arm sounds like he has a Techmount. Has he read the instructions?? Possibly not.

I'm a guy. of course I didn't read the instructions. I'll check. seems pretty straight forward though. will post a pic if I don't get it straightened out. thx for responses.

A noticeable looseness in the front end sounds like the bearings are loose. I suggest that you check the torque on the head bearings while you have the big nut off.

Do you have a brand and model number for mount and what gps you using? Any pics? I need to get a new gps and mount and want same set up? When you plug it it on bike is that all working out ok or does it flop around? Just looking for some info. Thank you