Range

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I know this is headed for NERPT; but I'm planning a ride in Nevada here in a few weeks and one option, from what I tell, puts me 222 miles between gas stations. Solo Rider, Stock '08 bike, probably 75mph ave. or so, would you go for it or is that going to be too stressful?

would you go for it or is that going to be too stressful?
You should ask this guy. He's the expert on your mileage, throttle hand habits, and whether you carry spare fuel. He might not know if there's a head wind though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it. Keep an eye on the fuel gauge and slow down a bit if it is being used up too fast. 222 miles at 75 mph should be no problem.

You should ask ....
But thats HIS profi...Oh wait. I get it now.

Iggy's right. Only you know how far you normally go on a tank.

Personally, I think you'll be fine unless you are one of those guys that thinks every stoplight is an excuse to drag race, and '5th for cruisin', 3rd is for passin'.

If you aren't sure, you might wanna pay close attention to the next few tanks.

With a larger windscreen your mileage will go down a few MPG. I have easily gone 200 miles (my Gen1) and I believe I could do 222, it's getting close but if you really fill it to the tip-top, you may be OK. Head winds, up hill etc, will reduce mileage. I find in the twisties going slower then Frwy speeds (40-65mph) I get my best mileage, at 75 on the slab it goes down to about 40ish.

You are the best judge of your riding habits etc.

Good luck.

There won't be any tanks between now and the ride...bike is still in winter storage, and I spent the morning clearing the driveway with my snowblower, and the kids are out of school w/a snow day today....

I'm trying to remember, but think I went 240 once on a tank....probably should have noted it down somewhere.

This is one particular place I don't want to run out of gas, as I don't want to be probed by aliens... Here's where I'm headed.

aliens%20famous%20Extraterrestrial%20Highway%20sign.jpg

You should ask ....
But thats HIS profi...Oh wait. I get it now.

Iggy's right. Only you know how far you normally go on a tank.

Personally, I think you'll be fine unless you are one of those guys that thinks every stoplight is an excuse to drag race, and '5th for cruisin', 3rd is for passin'.

You should be fine. But if you're really worried about it you can buy a 1/2 gallon metal container and fill that up at the gas station. Then about half way to your destination, pull over and pour it in the tank. You're better off doing it half way through than waiting till you run out.

That would get you an extra 15 - 20 miles.

But realistically, the worse mileage you should get out of the tank would be 230 miles or so and that's really bad gas mileage.

That'd almost never be a problem for me on my bike, where I'm thinking that 240 to 250 is where it starts getting touch and go. But like everyone else said, you're the only one who could know. E.g., I've never run anything but my OEM windscreen, and it's usually all the way down or only a little higher than that.

With the stock windshield, I usually refill at about 200-210 miles but that leaves me with a 40-50 mile reserve capability. Sometimes I do go farther, I think about 230 has been the most. I go pretty easy on the throttle, most of the time, too.

There won't be any tanks between now and the ride...bike is still in winter storage, and I spent the morning clearing the driveway with my snowblower, and the kids are out of school w/a snow day today....

I'm trying to remember, but think I went 240 once on a tank....probably should have noted it down somewhere.

This is one particular place I don't want to run out of gas, as I don't want to be probed by aliens... Here's where I'm headed.

aliens%20famous%20Extraterrestrial%20Highway%20sign.jpg
FJR will do that fine -- did for us, 2-up and loaded. If you're headed south toward Rachel and the pumps are closed there, the lady in the store can get the key from the guy in the traler round back.

If you'd let us know where this dry stretch of road you're looking at is we might know of some gas that Google doesn't. When I rode the ET Hwy I got gas in Alamo and it's just 152 to Tonopah. There's also gas in Caliente just 192 to Tonopah, there's even occasional gas in Rachael. Where you goin'??

One day: I got on an Interstate Highway at mile-marker 451 (having just filled-up at the, nearby, truck-stop). I ran with I-State traffic (70, 75, 80, etc.) constantly until I exited at mile-post 150. That episode made it easy to calculate the tank-range: 450 - 150 = 300.

I tend to never fill-up on the center-stand (just don't bother) and probably? hold the throttle fairly steady (allowing the closed-loop Lambda sensor to do its job...). I was 'on-reserve' for a few miles and had to go a couple miles, after exiting, to a gas-station.

The above was just a 4-hour ride -- on to and off of the Interstate... :eek: :)

If you'd let us know where this dry stretch of road you're looking at is we might know of some gas that Google doesn't. When I rode the ET Hwy I got gas in Alamo and it's just 152 to Tonopah. There's also gas in Caliente just 192 to Tonopah, there's even occasional gas in Rachael. Where you goin'??
Concur. I don't know of a stretch in that area that doesn't have 24 hour gas in less than 222 miles. Tonopah to Ash Springs is far less miles. Round Mountain to Ash Springs is even less than 200 miles and has at least two stations I know of.

I'll be leaving from Ely, NV. Taking HWY 6 SW to a junction called "Warm Springs". Then SE on 375 (ET HWY) through Rachel to the Junction w/318. Would then gas at Ash Springs. Total is 222 miles. I was thinking there would be gas in Rachel, but: Rachel's official home page says: "Note: The gas station in Rachel is closed. The nearest gas stations are 60 miles south in Ash Springs and 110 miles north in Tonopah."

From what I can tell, I don't think there's another gas station along that stretch.

I'll be leaving from Ely, NV. Taking HWY 6 SW to a junction called "Warm Springs". Then SE on 375 (ET HWY) through Rachel to the Junction w/318. Would then gas at Ash Springs. Total is 222 miles. .....From what I can tell, I don't think there's another gas station along that stretch.
Then you're purposely choosing an indirect route...probably to catch the ET Highway. Because 318 through Hiko is only about 140 miles between those gas stops.

I'll suggest that it's VERY difficult to keep the bike to 75 mph on those roads...and have found myself getting as little as 24 mpg on it. ;)

I'll be leaving from Ely, NV. Taking HWY 6 SW to a junction called "Warm Springs". Then SE on 375 (ET HWY) through Rachel to the Junction w/318. Would then gas at Ash Springs. Total is 222 miles. I was thinking there would be gas in Rachel, but: Rachel's official home page says: "Note: The gas station in Rachel is closed. The nearest gas stations are 60 miles south in Ash Springs and 110 miles north in Tonopah."
From what I can tell, I don't think there's another gas station along that stretch.
I just tried that route section using Google Maps' street view to get on the ground and look around and I didn't see any gas stations in the likely spots I landed to look. So you may be right. Those are some desolate roads.