RC51 - comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
thinking of getting a big V-twin to round out the stable and complement the FJR.

Found a nice 2001 model on the 'net but have never even sat on one.

Anything in particular I should watch out for with this year/model and any comments from owners concerning comfort level when riding, handling, etc. are appreciated.

thanks.

thinking of getting a big V-twin to round out the stable and complement the FJR.

Anything in particular I should watch out for with this year/model and any comments from owners concerning comfort level when riding, handling, etc. are appreciated.

thanks.
Make sure you get the 205MPH option, though. :D

thanks.
I was looking at the RC for a while as I like the feel of a Vtwin engine.

The RC has a good reputation as a good cornering machine.

It isn't going to have the power of other liter bikes but who cares.

I do hear from some that the seat is somewhat of a torture device compared to other sport bikes.

I have never heard anything particularly bad about them that would keep me away. They are a honda...

The TL is no longer made and the RC is so that might say something... The TL was too big probably to be competitive...

Only thing I have read from some RC owners is it really isn't a city bike it is a corner carving machine.

You do already have a FJR so this shouldn't be a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "babysat" one for a friend a few years ago. Was able to compare it side by side to my Guzzi V11s. and even got it on the Pikes Peak track one morning. Different bikes, but many similarities, so I was eager to try it.

My summary:

The RC motor is as soulful a thing as ever to come from japan. Nearly as sexy exhaust note as my Goose, but not quite. Great powerband. As, someone said, other bikes will kick it's ass in straight line acceleration and HP ... buuuuuuut, that is only part of the equation. My goose was around 80 hp at the wheel and could spank anybody in the twisties ... except the RC. Total corner monster. Once you learn the power delivery and cornering style necessary you will leave everyone in the dust.

That is IF you can stay on it long enough to reach the twisties.

The RC is by far the most tortous device ever invented by man. An hour in the saddle will require surgical intervention to remove the bike from your rectum. Your spine will compress and turn to jello, and your wrists, neck, knees, and ankles will beg for amputation. Your petrified carcass will require significant mortuary work to remove the grin from your face.

Maybe I exaggerate ... but not much.

Like the arrow-filled cowboy once said, "Yeah, Clem, But it's a GOOD kinda hurt"

btw - I'm 5'10" 32" inseam and could barely squeeze onto the RC. Very small bike. And it's really small. Tight fit. Ouch.

I "babysat" one for a friend a few years ago. Was able to compare it side by side to my Guzzi V11s. and even got it on the Pikes Peak track one morning. Different bikes, but many similarities, so I was eager to try it.
My summary:

The RC motor is as soulful a thing as ever to come from japan. Nearly as sexy exhaust note as my Goose, but not quite. Great powerband. As, someone said, other bikes will kick it's ass in straight line acceleration and HP ... buuuuuuut, that is only part of the equation. My goose was around 80 hp at the wheel and could spank anybody in the twisties ... except the RC. Total corner monster. Once you learn the power delivery and cornering style necessary you will leave everyone in the dust.

That is IF you can stay on it long enough to reach the twisties.

The RC is by far the most tortous device ever invented by man. An hour in the saddle will require surgical intervention to remove the bike from your rectum. Your spine will compress and turn to jello, and your wrists, neck, knees, and ankles will beg for amputation. Your petrified carcass will require significant mortuary work to remove the grin from your face.

Maybe I exaggerate ... but not much.

Like the arrow-filled cowboy once said, "Yeah, Clem, But it's a GOOD kinda hurt"

btw - I'm 5'10" 32" inseam and could barely squeeze onto the RC. Very small bike. And it's really small. Tight fit. Ouch.
Yep, it was me who said what you said but in a less dramatic way. :D

dang, I'm not into torture racks so this may not be it.
Well, you might have to ride one to be sure. I have met guys that ride them and they have never complained and the last guy I saw was a fairly overweight guy that didn't seem upset...

Anyway my other favorite VTwin sport bike is the TL1000R Suzuki. The last year made was 03. It is a bigger bike than the RC so might be more comfortable for ya.

All sportbikes are torture racks. Some just more than others.

From what I understand, the RC51, Ducati 999, and the Aprilia Mille are some of the worst for comfort. They are designed to be track bikes, and not so much street bikes. They will carve the living hell out of a corner, but getting there and back you pay the price.

If your looking for a big twin to round out the FJR but don't want to be in pain after 30-60 minutes then you might want to look at the Ducati Monsters or Aprilia's Falco and Touno. These bikes will give you the big twin feel and sound, but wont have you crunched up into an aggressive stance constantly.

Now if you just want a nice sportbike to compliment the FJR but still want some comfort, I would go with a 2000-2001 CBR 929, 2002-2003 CBR 954 (what I have ), or a 2000-2004 (I think) Kawasaki ZX-9R. These are/were considered some of the most comfortable sportbikes of their time. They may be a little older and have a little less sex appeal than a new R1, but they will still hold their own with a competent rider.

Well, you might have to ride one to be sure. I have met guys that ride them and they have never complained and the last guy I saw was a fairly overweight guy that didn't seem upset...
I think a big part of this is just becoming accustomed to riding in that stance. Before I got my FJR, my CBR 954 was my only bike. I thought it was very comfortable and could literally ride it all day and feel fine. I even did and endurance rally on it, then later did a BBG1500. I had no comfort complaints because I was used to that stance.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 145 pounds so I'm not a big guy...
Not to bash anyone's opinions but I listened to guys for years talking about how, "A sport bike is a track bike and uncomfortable for street" crap all my life. I stayed away from them because of this or the " It's too much power but for race guys" crap.

I road all kinds of bikes and spent a lot of money on them to try and get them to be what I really wanted. A sport bike.

I can honestly say, My GSXR 1000 is the bike I have been looking for all my life.

It is powerful, handles, looks, sound. I am actually more comfortable on it myself than I was on the FJR. The windshield is just enough so the wind isn't trying to blast me off the back but I still know I am on a bike.

I know guys that ride 3-4 hours to the beach every weekend on them.

I say do it. You are a small guy and even more perfect for these. They were made with small guys in mind.

Do it now before time runs out. I don't regret my purchase for one second and for once in my life I am not thinking about my "next" bike anymore.

If you want an addition to the FJR which is most likely your tour bike, to work bike, carry things bike, camping bike, whatever bike. You want a pure sport bike to do curves on get a 600 or gsxr 750. I would also say take it to the track. The FJR will do everything you need a bike to do safely on the back roads. You aren't going to get much more safely out of a pure sport bike.

Take some track classes, get on the track and do the turns there. You will never get as fast on the street as you will the track. Plus the insurance for a 600-750 will be easier than a 1000 bike.

Track Lesson School

This is where I am going soon. Most tracks require some type of training before being able to get on their track. After this I will be licensed to do it. Most tracks have leather rentals but I have a pair I just bought.

Short of removing radiator fluid and putting in some type of substitute (many exist) some tracks have other specific requirements such as wiring oil plugs, brakes, etc.

Once it is done you can have a blast...

Any 600-750 you should be able to find 3-4 grand and is perfect for the track.

Go for it... Street carving kills...

My neighbor and riding buddy (L8RG8R on here) has a Falco and totally loves it. He was originally looking for a RC51 but passed on it when he found the Falco. No regrets for him. PM him, I'm sure he'll tell ya all about it. And Ryan is also about the same height/weight as you. He rides that thing all day long, no problem.

My riding buddy has a 02 RC51. The engine is simply amazing to me. He bought an aftermarket seat for his, not sure what kind. We have gone on three day trips up and down the west coast. My other riding buddy has a 999s. Personally, I love the RC51 and can ride it all day. I am 6 foot tall and have no issue with it. Most folks do not like riding these kinds of bikes but I can't get enough of them. Your best bet is to see if you can test ride one and judge for yourself.

I have an 06 FJR and it rides too much like an old man's bike for my taste but it is a great bike. The only reason I bought it was for my SO. She never lets me leave the house without her on the back so I had to buy a two up friendly bike that still had balls.

I just did a trip to Whistler this last weekend on the FJR. I went up with my buddy on his 999s. He is 47 and is 6 foot 2 inches tall. So it is all personal taste and likes.

Cheers

Check the bike and hope you get the SV2, not the SV1. SV2 has upgraded suspension.

Brilliant machine. Just not my style.

Hits the turning lock quick so slow speed turns are tough.

Great engine, lots of low end torque.

But in my honest opinion, it needs the air box mod so it breathes better and a new pipe.

Let it breathe and then it is truly happy. There is a ton on the sportbike forums about the bike and farkles, etc.

I just prefer inline 4s. Got to spend quite some time on my big bro's '04 RC51 SV2.

It is tough on the back, so do some yoga.

I certainly would not kick one out of my garage, just not my first choice.

Good luck

I'm babysitting a friend's 2004 RC51 right now as he's touring on my R1100S. I've ridden it and another 51 a few hundred miles including a couple of track days.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care for the bike much. It's definitely a torque beast and sounds wonderful, especially the one I have now with the Akro exhaust. But it seems like it's between a rock and a hard place - too stiff, heavy and cumbersome for the track (it's a solid 50-80 lbs heavier than current supersport I4's) and just damn uncomfortable on the street. It's also got a pretty snatchy FI system, perhaps fixable, but there's a lot of driveline lash too. All in all, it just seems like a difficult beast to ride smoothly and I almost snap-rolled it once or twice getting on the throttle out of corners. At least for me, it's MUCH harder to ride quickly than my R6.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine bike, but for a twin, I'd go with one of the Ducs or the Aprilia. Maybe even a BMW if you are honest with your skill level - most riders I know are faster on a bike that is more stable and has more flywheel. The BMW twins are deceptively fast and the telelever is unmatched on a really bumpy road. Or just sell out and get the standard sportsbike that just does everything very, very well: A 750 Gixxer.

- Mark

Yep, I love the SportBikes too!!! I am replacing my 06 GSXR with an 07. I feel Suzuki offers the best bang for the buck, it has all the whistles and bells that the other manufactures charge you for. For instance:

GSXR

Integrated Turn Signals Clear Lenses

LED Tail Light, Clear Lens

Undertail is already done for you at the factory, Looks professional

Slipper Clutch (Try this option, it is awesome)

Gear Shift indicator, nice to know what gear you are in.

Programmable Shift Light, not sure about other manufactures.

Flash to Pass switch (Very nice all bikes should have this)

Emergency Flashers (Again all bikes should come with this)

Rear Seat, and Matching Cowl (options for other manufactures) approx $200

Tool Kit (Honda quit offering them with the bike) Just in case!!!

And now the Maintenance aspect!!!!

I could change the Plugs, Air Cleaner, and Synch the Throttle bodies in about 30 minutes!!!

And never remove 1 piece of plastic. All with normal tools, with exception to the CARBTUNE.

I understand the Hondas you have to pull radiator, and alot of plastic to get to the plugs, and the Air cleaner

Todd

Hello everyone, Chris here and new to these boards as of today. I took note of sparky's advice regarding sport bikes.... got to agree with him. "Not to bash anyone's opinions but I listened to guys for years talking about how, "A sport bike is a track bike and uncomfortable for street" crap all my life. I stayed away from them because of this or the " It's too much power but for race guys" crap. I road all kinds of bikes and spent a lot of money on them to try and get them to be what I really wanted. A sport bike."

Having come to his conclusion years ago, if I could own one bike, it would be my R1. Having said that, let me say that being a bit long in the tooth at 52 and with my significant other no longer wishing to jump on the back in red leather mini skirt and stiletto CFM pumps I have purchased my first FJR mainly for comfort and packing things on trips. I couldn't stand to get on a full dress tourer-- rather get an oldsmobile. I like to feel my elbows straighten and my mouth pulled into a grin from the G force and the FJR gives me that (somewhat) so I get more versatility from my sport touring bike -- and yet I keep my '01 R1. FJR isn't the BEST of both worlds, it's the BEST COMPROMISE of both worlds.

Cruiser biking is an entirely different subject altogether. That discussion belongs more on Fashion Board than a motorcycle board. Or maybe a Fad Board. I know I'll get slammed for that, but Cruisers well, they've got their place I admit, and maybe look good parked back wheel into the curb down at the tavern or a hot bikini girl draped seductively over one but, oh well, I think I've written enough about that...

The reason we cycle is personal. For me it is not so much about transportation but more about the sensation of motion. Sportbikes give us sensation in spades. Other styles give us other types of sensations. You decide what you mostly want to experience then get the bike that gives you the closest match for that. PEACE.

I had a Y2K RC51 for 3 years and 18K miles. A quick rundown:

Engine is magic.

Transmission was one of the best I've used.

Fuel injection was far too abrupt off idle.

Clutch grabby.

Suspension harsh, no matter the settings.

Seat was vinyl covered plywood with a toaster underneath.

Riding position was a Japanese version of the Spanish Inquisition.

Brakes were powerful, but howled when slowing to a stop. Odd.

Powerful brakes caused serious goolie discomfort due to the shape of the back of the tank. :eek:

Oddly shaped tank and position of clip-ons caused you to mash your thumbs into the tank at full lock.

It ate rear tires...(see previous observation re. magic engine)

And maintenance sucked. Even a basic oil change was an exercise in plastics removal.

Changing plugs was worse.

From what I understand, some of these issues with the '00 model were addressed. Can't speak from experience though.

Would I buy another? Probably not. For me, the Tuono offers superior performance in a far more humane package. And I agree with previous posts. Superbikes for the street are always going to present a compromise during everyday riding. Some more comfortable than others. The RC was one of the others.

Related to your question:

A salesman at the local dealer I go to use to own a RC51 and he himself called it a torture rack.

Now owns a 05 GSXR 1000... Draw your own conclusions :D :p