Re-keying Helmet locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Here is the photo gallery with the blow by blow photo pictorial of changing the cylinder and re-keying the lock. Hope this helps someone in the future.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

Well, I really wanted my new Helmet Guardian locks to use the same key as the bike. But the problem is that the key-way in the lock cylinder is cut differently so you can't even insert the Yamaha FJR key into the lock. There is no way to re-key it without first replacing the cylinder with one that has the proper key-way.

My first stop was at the local locksmith, where he confirmed my suspicions that he didn't have a cylinder that would fit the lock and had no idea where to get one from as it is not an industry standard lock.

So then I marched off the Yamaha dealer. For fun, I went around the showroom sticking my FJR key in all the helmet locks on bikes on the showroom floor. The key goes into the VStar 1100 helmet locks perfectly, so I know this lock can be made to work. A quick check at the parts counter reveals that the VStar 1100 helmet locks can be ordered for about $33 each. Part number is 26H-21-308-00-00. So this is at least one solution for those of you looking for helmet locks that will match your FJR key.

I wasn't ready to plunk down another $60 for more locks just after I spent $50 on the Helmet Guardian, so I went over to a motorcycle repair shop that has some old bike carcasses out back. In a matter of minutes I found an old bike that had a helmet lock on it that my FJR key would go into (I think it once was a Honda, but I am not certain). The guy was real nice and let me have the lock for free, so I brought it home, extracted the cylinder, and installed it in my Helmet Guardian lock. I had to swap the slides around a bit and file on a couple of them so it would match my key, but in about 15 minutes I now have a helmet lock that works with my FJR key. I will have to go to a motorcycle junk yard this weekend and forage for another lock to do the other side, but I suspect it won't be hard to find one. They are pretty common on older bikes and seem to all share similar inerds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of the cylinder removed from the lock. I am off to the salvage yard again to seach for another lock cylinder for the other side.

medium.jpg

Not that anyone cares, but I was able to score another helmet lock off an old bone yard bike, and I gutted it and took out the cylinder, so now both my Helmet Guardian locks work with my FJR key.

Now I just have to design a new bracket for the locks so my helmets don't touch the mufflers when I use them.

This is turning out to be a lot of work just for a couple helmet locks. I don't think I would do it again.

Damn Fred. Sounds like you bought the original Helmet Guardian just to get the lock cylinder holdy thingy. :D

Think it might have been easier if you started from scratch? Just asking because it seems like you will end up with your rekeyed locks on a frame of your own design.

Think it might have been easier if you started from scratch? Just asking because it seems like you will end up with your rekeyed locks on a frame of your own design.
Yes, it would have. The Yamaha VStar 1100 locks would have worked perfectly and if I were doing it over again, I would just order two of them instead.

Fred, I also am looking to install a lock for the helmet. My question is where are you mounting this type of lock on the new FJR? I don't really see a good location for this or suitable surface that will accept the round configuration of the lock mount. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, PM. <>< :)

Well, I finished up the project tonight. Here is a look at how I mounted them. I threw away the Helmet Guardian mount, as I didn't want my helmets resting on the mufflers. I now have them higher up so that the helmets have lots of space between them and the mufflers.

You can see all the photos of the process making the brackets and rekeying the locks here:

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

medium.jpg

Great camera work Fred. I'm torn between doing your setup or using a coated cable that I could run through a jacket and helmet. Might just use both. Thanks again. PM. <><