Re-springing an OEM shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I purchased a used stock Gen2 shock & want to respring it with a heavier spring. I've heard people on here talk about doing that so assuming it can be done. Is there anyone who can tell me what I might need & who to buy from? Can I take advantage of the group buy to accomplish this?

TIA for any & all help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a used stock Gen2 shock & want to respring it with a heavier spring. I've heard people on here talk about doing that so assuming it can be done. Is there anyone who can tell me what I might need & who to buy from? Can I take advantage of the group buy to accomplish this?
TIA for any & all help.
Not sure the Gen 2 rear spring can be replaced. I know the shock itself can't be rebuilt. I'd give the folks at GP Suspension a shout and ask... they've done a number of group buys for the forum and have a pretty good reputation as experts for the FJR suspension. If it's possible, Dave at GP will be able to help you.

GP Suspension

Phone: 503.723.7793

[email protected]

Click here!

Hope this helps,

Griff

TIA for any & all help.
Should be able to with a spring compressor -any bike mechanic or suspension shop should be able to help.

**BUT:**

What you're wanting to do is not common, as the shock is a weird, peculiar, strange, odd, abnormal and some would also add silly in describing it's design. In addition, it can't really be easily rebuilt -which add's even more to it's uselessness -and why you don't see folks investing time and energy and dollar$ into replacement springs.

I'm not even sure if anyone has the spec's on length and rate ...which are two things you'll want to know to help gauge the length and rate of your new spring. Most decent shocks can accommodate a large range of length of spring -which is nice. But the OEM shock I don't believe can ...so you're really going to have to put the homework on the front end of doing a replacement spring.

Perhaps someone has been there done that and can help you with the spec's.

Contact EPM performance.

I have the re-spring kit in my Gen 1. It's not Ohlins, but its a huge step up from stock. I resprung both ends, and new heavier fork oil for under $300.

You can get just the rear shock for 165.

I have a Gen II FJR (06 model) and was going to re-spring my rear OEM shock just last week myself with a spring that I purchased from RaceTech. I was successful in removing the shock and spring myself, but getting the spring off wasn't particularly easy. I ended up using a set of smaller car strut spring compressors (and a lot of patience) in order to compress the primary (hard) spring enough to lift out the restraining collar/seat. Yes, without a doubt, the stock OEM shock for a GenII can be resprung... I stopped short of installing the RaceTech (Eibach) spring however because I determined that my rear shock had blown a seal with only 11K miles... The shock body was covered in oil and when pumping the shock without the spring installed, there was a sound that I can only describe as gurgling with a VERY inconsistent dampening rate... As a result I ended up shipping back the RaceTech spring and ordering a GS-3 shock which I should hopefully have in a couple weeks.

At any rate, all I can offer up is to tell you that it definitely can be done, but it isn't easy and apparently the overall build quality of the OEM shock may not be worth the effort or investment if you can save up to eventually get any other aftermarket rear shock. Everyone is correct in stating that the OEM shock can not be rebuilt (but can be resprung). As I previously mentioned, mine was dead at or before 11K miles but it seems like most go out between 20-30K miles. If you didn't know already though, the rear OEM shock actually contains 2 springs, one short and "soft" and a longer "hard" spring. If you go the route with RaceTech they only send you a replacement for the longer, "hard" spring. It's my understanding (but I'm not for certain) that the spring kit from Hyperpro replaces both springs with a single, common, progressive rate spring... Someone else may know more about Hyperpro springs however...

If you decide to proceed with changing out the rear spring, once you have the shock dismounted the type of compressor you need will be fairly obvious, but the spring is VERY stiff to compress. The tool I used, I rented for free from Advanced Auto Parts... It's just a potential option for you to save some money instead of buying something...

Hopefully that'll help you some... If absolutely necessary and someone requests it, I can post up some pictures of a disassembled OEM rear shock as it's sitting on my workbench at the moment...

And lastly, yes, RaceTech will honor the current Group Buy discount for a rear spring...

I have a Gen II FJR (06 model) and was going to re-spring my rear OEM shock just last week myself with a spring that I purchased from RaceTech. I was successful in removing the shock and spring myself, but getting the spring off wasn't particularly easy. I ended up using a set of smaller car strut spring compressors (and a lot of patience) in order to compress the primary (hard) spring enough to lift out the restraining collar/seat. Yes, without a doubt, the stock OEM shock for a GenII can be resprung... I stopped short of installing the RaceTech (Eibach) spring however because I determined that my rear shock had blown a seal with only 11K miles... The shock body was covered in oil and when pumping the shock without the spring installed, there was a sound that I can only describe as gurgling with a VERY inconsistent dampening rate... As a result I ended up shipping back the RaceTech spring and ordering a GS-3 shock which I should hopefully have in a couple weeks.
At any rate, all I can offer up is to tell you that it definitely can be done, but it isn't easy and apparently the overall build quality of the OEM shock may not be worth the effort or investment if you can save up to eventually get any other aftermarket rear shock. Everyone is correct in stating that the OEM shock can not be rebuilt (but can be resprung). As I previously mentioned, mine was dead at or before 11K miles but it seems like most go out between 20-30K miles. If you didn't know already though, the rear OEM shock actually contains 2 springs, one short and "soft" and a longer "hard" spring. If you go the route with RaceTech they only send you a replacement for the longer, "hard" spring. It's my understanding (but I'm not for certain) that the spring kit from Hyperpro replaces both springs with a single, common, progressive rate spring... Someone else may know more about Hyperpro springs however...

If you decide to proceed with changing out the rear spring, once you have the shock dismounted the type of compressor you need will be fairly obvious, but the spring is VERY stiff to compress. The tool I used, I rented for free from Advanced Auto Parts... It's just a potential option for you to save some money instead of buying something...

Hopefully that'll help you some... If absolutely necessary and someone requests it, I can post up some pictures of a disassembled OEM rear shock as it's sitting on my workbench at the moment...

And lastly, yes, RaceTech will honor the current Group Buy discount for a rear spring...
Wow,

that is great info. It sounds like Hyperpro has done the math on matching up a single spring to replace the OEM springS.

For all the gizmo that MamaYama put into the bizzare shock --it sure is a POS imo.

Contact EPM performance.
I have the re-spring kit in my Gen 1. It's not Ohlins, but its a huge step up from stock. I resprung both ends, and new heavier fork oil for under $300.

You can get just the rear shock for 165.
+1 kit from HyperPro, it made a big difference. I took my rear spring to a shop to put the spring in it cost me $30.00.The spring is a 835# spring. This past winter I got a custom rear shock from HyperPro that has remote preload adjuster Hi/Lo compresion and rebound damping and ride height adjustment.

I thought I also read some where here or one of the other forums about someone making shims eighth and quarter inch which probably would require the same process to install that would thereby increase the spring rate, or was I having a late 60s flashback. :dribble:

Never have had the bucks for a good shock so I get lightly used 05 shocks and add a 3/16 shim. works good enough for who it's for.

Had mine done.

They did a fair amount of work to it and to the front end.

It was still cheeper here in Aus to rework the rear shock than to buy an aftermarket one.

They used an upgraded R1 spring, installed a collar for adjustment, did the internals and regassed it.

Front and rear was about $1400 aus and they set the bike up for me and my gear.

Here is my link from the Aussie forum https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=457

Cheers

Pretty easy to change the rear springs, make your self a couple of plates and get yourself some all thread.

DSCN2007.jpg

SpringRemoveal.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

Just three holes in each plate one little and one big and some 1/2-13 all thread and you have a new spring installed.

Guys, thank so much for giving someone with a very small amount of knowledge on this subject some insight.

I've considered just installing the shock on my Gen1 to see how it goes, but I've been hauling a decent sized amount of weight. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 460ish pounds 2 up & fully packed & geared up. Assuming installing a new spring would give me a better ride & allow the shock to last as long as it should.

I absolutely cannot afford to invest $1000 or more in suspension. I just can't do it.

Also planning to rebuild my forks with OEM style components or the like & put some heavier springs in there. You know, a poor person's suspension upgrade.

I am aware the stocker cannot be rebuilt. Just looking to respring... & will have the work done by someone other than myself. I am thinking that this is a little beyond my mechanical abilities.

& thanks, Heidi

Never have had the bucks for a good shock so I get lightly used 05 shocks and add a 3/16 shim. works good enough for who it's for.
Where do you get the shims, make them or buy them?? Also where do you place it, between the top and bottom springs or top or bottom spring seat?? Inquiring minds need to know. :rolleyes:

Where do you get the shims, make them or buy them?? Also where do you place it, between the top and bottom springs or top or bottom spring seat?? Inquiring minds need to know. :rolleyes:
If this would help me & give benefit like a stiffer spring, I'm also interested in more info.

I do remember once upon a long time ago, there was some guy making them. As to what is involved to making one, I do not know. Think that it was EZboard days. Old timers will remember Ezboard. Not even sure how to access it, anymore.

At any rate, all I can offer up is to tell you that it definitely can be done, but it isn't easy ....If you decide to proceed with changing out the rear spring, once you have the shock dismounted the type of compressor you need will be fairly obvious, but the spring is VERY stiff to compress. The tool I used, I rented for free from Advanced Auto Parts... It's just a potential option for you to save some money instead of buying something...
Snipped for pertinence.

It definitely isn't easy. I did it with a pair of McPherson strut hooks and a smart, brave pair of helping hands (my father).

It was a delicate situation. if there's ever a next time, I'll let a shop do it.

P9290006.jpg

I've considered just installing the shock on my Gen1 to see how it goes, but I've been hauling a decent sized amount of weight. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 460ish pounds 2 up & fully packed & geared up. Assuming installing a new spring would give me a better ride & allow the shock to last as long as it should.
I absolutely cannot afford to invest $1000 or more in suspension. I just can't do it.

Also planning to rebuild my forks with OEM style components or the like & put some heavier springs in there. You know, a poor person's suspension upgrade.

I am aware the stocker cannot be rebuilt. Just looking to respring... & will have the work done by someone other than myself. I am thinking that this is a little beyond my mechanical abilities.
This is exactly what I did, using the Link to EPM Performance from above. the new 835# rear spring and is easily stiff enough to fix your troubles. As much improved as the rear is, the front takes the cake. heavy brake dive is 10x less than before, it corners better, Hell, I think even the tire is wearing better.

Seriously, if you do one, do em both.

If this would help me & give benefit like a stiffer spring, I'm also interested in more info.

I do remember once upon a long time ago, there was some guy making them. As to what is involved to making one, I do not know. Think that it was EZboard days. Old timers will remember Ezboard. Not even sure how to access it, anymore.
https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/spacers.html

Remember, you'll still have the same spring/s -- same pounds per inch of travel -- it'll just be pre-loaded some and the ride height will be raised. The end result being: if the load exceeds the spring -- the coils may/will all be bound.

But, H. Marc Lewis's spacers were a good temporary (sometimes, permanent) solution to one of Yamaha's suspension gaffes. :(

The HyperPro upgrade kit for the FJR stock suspension is a totally different approach to suspension. It replaces the dual-rate, linear, stock spring system with a single progressive-rate spring. The front fork springs are replaced with a heavier rate progressive as well, that closely matches the rear setup.

It's a lot of improvement for the money, with the most noticeable downsides being some increased tire wear and some increased suspension component wear on the front forks, mainly bushings.

When it comes to changing rear shock springs, anybody can do it. But having the right tools available can make the difference between personal injury and pleasurable riding. Be careful! There's a lot of energy in a compressed rear spring.