real time industries reflective saddlebag tape

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueStreak

Reaction score
I just got the black reflective tapes in the mail but no installation instructions. How should I prep/cleen/apply the taps?

Any tips?

TIA

Rob

spray with soapy water, apply like window tint. smooth out the bubbles, and have patience.

pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, even though its got adhesive, you still might want to use something to lubricate the area, otherwise you're more likely to have bubbles you can't work out.

I've always used distilled water and baby shampoo (very low shampoo content) -- to put on both bag reflectors and the tankslapper stuff.

I think Alex recommends alcohol and water, 10% solution. I like the extra time I get with soap. Never had a peeling problem and the finish is smooth (no bubbles or runs).

Actually nix on the soapy water. Alex has said that you want to use a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water. I would wipe the saddle bags down with clean water, dry and then clean with a cloth with some rubbing alcohol. Wet the area sticker is to be applied and also the sticker adhesive and a little on the sticker face to lubricate with the 50/50 mixture. Place sticker on bag and then squeegy water/alcohol from between sticker and surface. Be sure all the liquid is gone.

Just to be clear... are we talking 50/50 with 70% alcohol?

That's the concentration in most rubbing alcohol bottles. (So, it already has 30% water in it)

Or, are we talking 50/50 with 90% alcohol? (less common, but still readily available)

Just to be clear... are we talking 50/50 with 70% alcohol?
That's the concentration in most rubbing alcohol bottles. (So, it already has 30% water in it)

Or, are we talking 50/50 with 90% alcohol? (less common, but still readily available)

Huh, ah , huh :huh: ......all he said was rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol. Actuall the stuff in my medicine cabinet is 91%. But you have me at a loss sir.

I put mine on dry and it was super easy. It is no different then putting a normal sticker on you toolbox or something. I peeled the top half of the sticker off and started from the middle and worked my way up, once that was done I peeled the rest of the backing off and did the bottom half.

If you search there are similar threads that explain this.

I put mine on dry as well. Easy. I got them set then worked from the middle to each end (top/bottom) pushing out any bubbles. They really light up at night - it's a great product.

They stick/unstick pretty easily to reposition until you really press on them to apply. Good luck!

I just received mine, and the reports from all the riders behind me last night is that they reflect brown like coarkboard, not white like ALL of the pictures show

I just received mine, and the reports from all the riders behind me last night is that they reflect brown like coarkboard, not white like ALL of the pictures show
Sorry to hear that you don't like them. I'm not sure why they would reflect brown at all. I had another customer express concern on the forum that they did not blend well with his black bike, however he did say they really reflect well. I have not switched brands or product line. It is the same 3M materail that I've always used. Let me do some quick research and see if there is a difference in product. I know sometimes the rolls of material are a different shade of black, but the same SKU #.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that you don't like them. I'm not sure why they would reflect brown at all. I had another customer express concern on the forum that they did not blend well with his black bike, however he did say they really reflect well. I have not switched brands or product line. It is the same 3M materail that I've always used. Let me do some quick research and see if there is a difference in product. I know sometimes the rolls of material are a different shade of black, but the same SKU #.

Alex
Thank you Alex. The black itself matches perfectly during the day time

You want to use water and alcohol. I use 80/20, whatever, the alcohol is only there to speed up the evaporation rate.

Clean the area that you are applying the decal to, wipe the clean area with pure alcohol.

Spray the area where you are applying the decal with a heavy amount of the 80/20 mix. Heavy spray.

Remove the backing to the decal and spray the 80/20 mix on the adhesive.

Apply the decal to its location and adjust it accordingly, the 80/20 mix will allow you to move the decal until you are happy.

Smooth out with a squeeze or I use a plastic putty spreader that you can find at any auto parts store.

Removing all the water and bubbles from the center out using the squeeze or putty spreader.

Let dry for 24hrs and it will look professional.

Mark

Hey NJ609, was it completely dark out when your buddies reported the brown color? I have witnessed the brown-ness... but it has only been b4 full dark. When completely dark, I've always witnessed the white.

You want to use water and alcohol. I use 80/20, whatever, the alcohol is only there to speed up the evaporation rate.Clean the area that you are applying the decal to, wipe the clean area with pure alcohol.

Spray the area where you are applying the decal with a heavy amount of the 80/20 mix. Heavy spray.

Remove the backing to the decal and spray the 80/20 mix on the adhesive.

Apply the decal to its location and adjust it accordingly, the 80/20 mix will allow you to move the decal until you are happy.

Smooth out with a squeeze or I use a plastic putty spreader that you can find at any auto parts store.

Removing all the water and bubbles from the center out using the squeeze or putty spreader.

Let dry for 24hrs and it will look professional.

Mark
that's exactly what I did NOT do and I have bubbles... oh well. they are a great product and at a reasonable price, so I have another set for when these fall off...

hard plastic squeegee is the key..

live and learn, then drink :)

Hey NJ609, was it completely dark out when your buddies reported the brown color? I have witnessed the brown-ness... but it has only been b4 full dark. When completely dark, I've always witnessed the white.
Yes it was. The first report was during sunset, so we just figured that the golden sun was causing the brown effect. BUt later that same evening with headluights on them they had the brown corkboard look

Yes it was. The first report was during sunset, so we just figured that the golden sun was causing the brown effect. BUt later that same evening with headluights on them they had the brown corkboard look

Take a picture of it at night, with flash of course, directly behind the bike and post it :)

I was trying to find a picture in my gallery of my reflective stickers, but I can't locate it...all I have is of the sidebag reflectors.

P1000022.JPG