Rear Axle 14 mm hex wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The FJR tool kit has a hex wrench which fits the rear axle. But, I'd like an inexpensive option to this wrench. My hex bit socket set doesn't include a 14 mm.

I paid 22 cents for a 3/8" X 1-1/2" bolt and two nuts hoping they might be a good option to the FJR wrench.

They fit the axle perfectly. A 9/16" wrench fits this bolt. But, a 14 mm wrench also works quite well.

9/16" = 14.29 mm

14.29 / 14 = 1.021

Question --

What's an adequate method for fixing or locking a nut/s to the bolt?

Wrenching the two nuts together really really tightly should do the trick, then use the nut closest to the head to twist the shaft out.

(I worked really hard to get that phrased close to right. :) )

Before you torque the nuts against one another to 'lock' them in place, put a little Locktite on the threads. Alternately a quick visit to a MIG welder will lock the nut(s) permanently.

The FJR tool kit has a hex wrench which fits the rear axle. But, I'd like an inexpensive option to this wrench. My hex bit socket set doesn't include a 14 mm.
I paid 22 cents for a 3/8" X 1-1/2" bolt and two nuts hoping they might be a good option to the FJR wrench.

They fit the axle perfectly. A 9/16" wrench fits this bolt. But, a 14 mm wrench also works quite well.

9/16" = 14.29 mm

14.29 / 14 = 1.021

Question --

What's an adequate method for fixing or locking a nut/s to the bolt?
$12k+ bike,$.22 "tool"?!? I'm all for saving a buck,but c'mon. I just bought a 1/2" drive 14 mm allen socket from NAPA for $13 and change. The 19 mm was $16 and change. Guaranteed easier to use and more reliable than a bolt and a couple nuts.

Mike

You don't really need that 14mm Allen socket (unless you just want one). I happen to have one, but don't even use it out anymore.

Just loosen the axle nut (on left side) before you loosen the axle pinch bolt on the right side. Then the axle just pushes out (it's not threaded into the rear end).

When re-installing:

1) push the axle through as far as possible from the right side

2) snug up the axle nut as far as you can.

3) Temporarily tighten the pinch bolt.

4) Torque the axle nut to spec.

5) Loosen the pinch bolt to allow the swing arm to "relax", in case it was drawn in at all (it shouldn't have if you followed step 2)

6) Torque pinch bolt to spec

Last edited by a moderator: