Rear Shock Info.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used wilburs shock that has an upgraged spring on.

The spring was upgraded as the previous owner felt the original from wilburs was undersprung, some of you were part of that saga.

My question is, it was set up for a rider that weighs 230lb + gear + luggage. I weigh 165, and rarely carry any luggage.

What ramifications am I looking at here? It is a 640 with adjustable preload, so I figured I could just dial down the pre-load a lot.

I don't know much about suspension, so I figured someone who is more knowledgable may be able to provide insight as to weather this will actually have any adverse effects on handling since the spring will be very stiff. Or am I just looking at a rough ride, but improved handling???

A call to GP Suspension might be in order. Mine will be snet there over the Vermont winter for a rebuild/check over.

Tom

Well, it already went to GP suspention for the upgraded 750 Eibach spring. Wonder if they will talk to me about it seeing as they did the work on the shock anyway.

Judging by the way you ride (not a dis ;) ) I'd try that combo and back the preload way down to start. That stiffer spring may suit your riding style better that a softer one. If you find that it is too stiff, then send it back for a softer spring.

Judging by the way you ride (not a dis ;) ) I'd try that combo and back the preload way down to start. That stiffer spring may suit your riding style better that a softer one. If you find that it is too stiff, then send it back for a softer spring.
I do actually still have the original spring that came with the wilburs if I need to fall back to a softer one.

I guess I'm just not sure what to be looking for to determine if the thing is too stiff.

Is it just a feel thing, like, "Ow my fawking back is killing me because I feel every bump in the road." and therefore it's too stiff.

or

"Coming out of the corner, it launched me over the handlebars." I guess it's too stiff???

Actually, yes to both, but prolly more the latter. I don't think either will be as extreme which is why I said to back down the preload.