Rear trunk in use with saddlebags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpagirl

Reaction score
I know yamaha recommends that if you use the rear trunk, you should remove the saddlebags, so as to not overload the bike.

Debating getting ther rear trunk. I weigh about 180 with all my riding gear on. Usually I'd go on a long trip alone, but was considering a longer (reunion) trip going 2 up with my 5'10" 16 year-old daughter. Any input? (Yeah, I need the rear footpeg extensions - I'm only 5'7".)

I'm sure this is one of those recurring threads...bear with me.

Sherpagirl,

Yup it is a CYA for Yammie for sure. You just need to be aware of the difference in handling... At higher speeds(1 up) the front tire feels a bit lighter because of the trunk grabbing all that air behind ya.

I will say; when I am rolling with way way too much speed, with the rear trunk and bags on, the windshield all the way up(stock screen)..the wind can grab the shield a bit and give ya a little side to side rattle motion but It doesn't feel unsafe or anything. I will test this when I am 2 up to see how it compares. LIke you said...Just be aware not to over load the bike.

WW

Definitely CYA. just wait till you see some of the pics of the FJRs in the Iron Butt Rally...talk about overloaded.

I know yamaha recommends that if you use the rear trunk, you should remove the saddlebags, so as to not overload the bike.
Debating getting ther rear trunk. I weigh about 180 with all my riding gear on. Usually I'd go on a long trip alone, but was considering a longer (reunion) trip going 2 up with my 5'10" 16 year-old daughter. Any input? (Yeah, I need the rear footpeg extensions - I'm only 5'7".)

I'm sure this is one of those recurring threads...bear with me.
Don't worry about it. I weigh 220 and I load up the bags and trunk for long trips on a regular basis. No issues.

Loading a bike is more of an art than a science. Just remember this one rule and you will stay up on two wheels. Put all the lighter items high and back and the heavy items in front of the rear axle. Also you mentioned you are going to carry a passenger. Make sure you weigh more than the passenger and you prepare your passenger for the trip with information as to which side of your helmet to look on and not to make sudden moves on the bike etc. Also make sure the passenger only gets off the bike when you have the side stand down. Have a great trip and keep the rubber side down and the smiles up. Wink Winckler aka racer157

If you have stock suspension you will want to ride in the hard setting on the rear shock

If you have aftermarket suspension may not have to do re- asjusting.........

I have a Givi E52 top box on my bike.

I am not a big fan of the looks but it sure makes the long rides much more convenient and keeps things dry.

It has worked out without any problems for me. I do notice a slight wallow in the handling when approaching triple digit speeds but nothing disconcerting.

IMG_0960.1.jpg