Rear trunk or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokane

Reaction score
Bought an 06 A model that came with the optional factory rear trunk and am debating if I should use (trunk) it on my upcomming trip. Going riding out west to the superbike races @ Miller Motor Sports in Salt Lake. Went last year on a 1800 Gold Wing and got into some serious, turbulent cross winds that had me all over the road on I-80 west to Wendover. People pulling travel trailers were stopped.

Will the trunk reduce handling in these contitions? I can always strap a duffle bag on the seat/rack.

Last year I was riding with 2 guys on Road Kings that were not as affected by the windy conditions as I was. There going this time as well.

I have only run one tank of gas thru the FJ so I don't have much experience on it.

Just installed new PR-2's even tho the bike has just 3500 miles on it.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Spokane,

I use the Top Case in windy conditions and the FJR handles windy conditions well.

There was problems at one time at speed but all I had to do is Firm Up the Suspension and the problem went away.

I usually ride without a top case and I can really notice the handling difference with it on. I don't like the way it handles with it on. To me it feels like a have a flat tire. I ride 99.9% of the time one up.

I would suspect creating a larger profile (riding with a top case) in wind would also affect your handling for the negative, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
For long trips when additional storage is necessary the rear trunk rocks. When it comes time for more spirited riding in the twisties, take it off. Also, be sure to run a higher than normal tire pressue when the trunk is loaded, around 42 psi.

Canadian FJR

Last ride we hit 60 mile gusts, didnt have a significant prob. with trunk on my 07 and faired better than most

Another consideration would be to fill the void on the passenger seat. When on long trips I use a Cordura tail bag strapped on the passenger seat but any soft bag can be strapped in there. Along with the extra storage, it also helps gas mileage as it eliminates the vortex that develops between the rider and the top case.

I don't think the tail trunk makes much difference in cross winds. MM2 makes a good point about filling the void between your back and the top case with a duffel or something, but that is not unique to cross winds.

I noticed that the big Harleys. like Road Kings, seem less affected by cross winds. I suspect that it is because they have most of their weight down low. It helps if you pack most of your heavy stuff in the bottom of the side bags and put the lighter stuff in the top case and tank bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another consideration would be to fill the void on the passenger seat. When on long trips I use a Cordura tail bag strapped on the passenger seat but any soft bag can be strapped in there. Along with the extra storage, it also helps gas mileage as it eliminates the vortex that develops between the rider and the top case.
+1. I strap my sleeping bag behind me on the pillion seat. This is enough to eliminate the slight wobble at speed caused by said vortex.

I have an 07 and for most rides I leave the top case off. I have not had the opportunity to ride in strong cross winds with it. I have ridden dresser HDs and Goldwings, 1200 and 2 1500s in strong cross winds and in my opinion they are all impacted significantly by cross winds in excess of 40 mph. You just learn to adjust to it and keep going. It is more tiring but that is just part part of the m/c esperience.

The wife and I were on a trip back from CO on a 1500 GW between Spring and Clayton, NM when we got caught in a cross wind I estimated at between 50 and 60 mph. She was holding here chin strap with one hand and pushing down on the top of my helmet with here other hand so I would not be distracted by it. I was afraid to slow to a stop as I feared the wind would blow us over before I could stablize the bike. The kick stand was on the upwind side. Fortunately after about 30 minutes of riding like that we got out of it. It was a gust front. Based on my experiences I do not think the top box will make a major difference whether it is on for off. JMO.

If I am on a trip where I need to have the "stuff" then I take the tankbag but if I can do without it then I will keep it at home. I am leaving on a 10-day ride on Friday morning and I am going to need to take it this time around.

Bingo! Trunk with empty pillion = handles like an FJR with a flat tire. Trunk with stuff on the pillion = handles like an FJR should.

Road across Montana, Idaho, and 2/3 of Washington yesterday in fairly strong winds with trunk and nothing in the pillion seat. Bike handled well and barely noticed the wind, but I believe that was due to the new suspsension from GP suspensions.