Rear Trunk recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forker

Reaction score
I am waiting on my new FJR to be delivered and have ridden & owned Yamaha Venture Royale's, one BMW R1200RT, and multiple GoldWings including the present GL1800. I am used to having a rear trunk and intended to add a GIVI Maxia 52 to the FJR but notice that mother Yamaha does not recommend riding the bike with a rear trunk while having the saddle bags mounted. I know that many of you do just that so I am curious as to whether the addition of a rear trunk while having the bags in place has caused you any stability or balance problems. I added a rear trunk to the BMW and have wondered if that added weight carried high and to the rear of the bike was a contributing cause to it dumping me in the middle of the road in Arkansas. Looking forward to your replies.

Dan.

Just watch the overall weight to the rear subframe.

Some buffeting will likely occur when riding w/o a pillion. You can mitigate this by throwing a duffle bag on the rear seat if it becomes bothersome.

GVWR iirc - you can easily overload the bike based on the Yamaha allowances for cargo and passenger weight.

The three bags are typically never off my bike. I like the E52 very much. In fact, I have a spare I've got for sale over in the for sale section...

Well I'm running my FeeJay with the rear trunk and saddlebags, ever since I've been able to get that trunk. I don't intend to take it off. Riding fully "armed" hasn't make any difference to me, so I'm kind of puzzled, as to why big mother would state something like that. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a sport touring bike?

V

RPK

...why big mother would state something like that. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a sport touring bike?
CYA lawsuit avoidance? Legal paranoia causes many strange things to happen.

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; Do not remove this tag under penalty of law; Confined Space - Do Not Enter; user assumes full liabilities; not liable for damages due to use or misuse; equal opportunity disclaimer; no shoes, no shirt, no bidding; caveat emptor; read at your own risk; this disclaimer may contain material some readers find objectionable; parental advisory: explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; no money down; no purchase necessary; ask us about our non-guns-for-bid-trade-in plan; you need not be present to bid; some assembly required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; this disclaimer was packed full, contents may have settled during mailing; sanitized and sealed for your protection; do not bid if safety seal is broken; do not bid while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; safety goggles may be required during use; call before you use this disclaimer; use only with proper ventilation; for external use only; if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue bidding; do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; keep away from open flames; avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; disclaimer contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated (joke – really); smoking this disclaimer may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of this disclaimer; text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no electrons were injured in preparing this disclaimer; no animals were used to test this disclaimer; no salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial colour or flavour added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult an auctioneer; possible penalties for early withdrawal; one size fits all; this disclaimer is valid only at participating auction sites; slightly higher north of Brisbane; allow four to six weeks for delivery; if defects are found, do not try to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized auctioneer; please remain seated until the bidding has come to a complete stop; bidding in the mirror may be more complicated than it appears; this disclaimer does not cover hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and other Acts of God, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, or milk coming out of your nose due to laughing while drinking; other restrictions may apply. If something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a SHAD 50, use the factory recommended mounting hardware, load it with your lightest stuff, and go ride. Just use some common sense when you load the top case and check it every so often. Try to keep under 15 lbs of stuff in it, which should not be hard if you think it through. I put well over 10,000 miles on my dearly departed 2005 FJR using a SHAD 50. It had zero problems and 100% convenience while cutting a dashing profile. I am working on a similar set up with my new 2013 FJR and expect similar results. SHAD makes good stuff as does Givi and perhaps others. Good luck.

I have a Schad 42 trunk that is always on the bike, along with the factory side bags. I have had all three loaded, along with a large Ortlieb dry bag (loaded w/camping gear) strapped to the rear seat. Never had any issues.

Have the Yamaha rear trunk, Smuggler, and side bags. No issues at speed. I pack a duffel to fit in the rear box, so not overloading it.

If you get the GIVI Maxia 52 I strongly recommend you get the Givi mounting rack. This rack distributes the load back to the frame. Attaching a mounting plate to the plastic FJR rack is not advised. I have used this system on an '03, '07, and '11 FJR with no issues to date. I typically do not over load the trunk, ~25 lbs. I have ridden up to 120 mph without issues with the trunk and bags attached.

I didn't want a hard case mounted all the time and was looking for a dry bag. Ionbeam pointed this out to me today https://nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1677

I got the hiviz yellow but it comes in black and orange too.

SE-2005-BLK_zpsc4b7b8b4.jpg

I'm using the OEM trunk, but only when I really need the extra room and I never have a passenger on board. My wife rides her own bike which avoids all that trouble. I've used it a couple of times so far and barely even notice that it's there.

My E52 is never off the bike, excpet that one time in the spring when I do some cleaning so the tail lights show again, and if I'm camped, I bring it into the tent as my suitcase.

I have the Givi rack, and would strongly recommend using that, and not any of the adapters that fit the box to the stock rack. Stock=plastic, Givi=steel.

Lots of options already pointed out.

Consider using something other than the Yamaha trunk as you get more storage capacity for much less $$$. If you're always one-up, there are great alternatives that strap to the pillion seat like the MotoFizz from Aerostitch and various dry bags others have mentioned.

Good luck!

--G

I wouldn't recommend the OEM top box after my experience of the whole bottom cracking (the mounting plate and sub-frame are OK) most likely due to too many rough roads. Also, capacity is restricted due to its shape (tall/narrow). Go with the Givi SR357 mount to redistribute the load, then your fave top box. I'm putting a Coocase S50 (S47) on next. Good value for the money. lots of features.

I like my v46, but the e52 has it's uses too! If you travel 2 up, I'd go with the 52l case...
p1010453g.jpg

Only time I use my rear case (which is a really cheap thing most would be embarrassed to install on a scooter) is for riding two up. Wifey likes the feeling of a back rest and we throw water bottles and a camera in it (easier to access than the saddles). For one up touring/camping if I need extra space, I use the larger twisted throttle dry spec bag across the rear seat. The mounting loops on it make it easy to throw a sleeping bag and tent on top of it. Works well for me. I would like to upgrade the rear case to something better in the event wifey decides to like camping.

Most of my experience is with Givi, on my past 4 bikes. A Bandit1200, SV 650, SV 1000, and now my 05FJR.

I use the trunk daily and try to keep it mostly empty to store my helmet in when I'm off the bike.

If you will have a pillion, get the 52, the 46 is snug to get 2 helmets in. :)