recommended clothing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so subjective. I have a Fieldshear Adventure textile jacket that I'm thinking of going to a Tourmaster, Transition Series2 textile jacket. The riders that have Aerostich swear by them. My Fieldshear is great for colder weather but is a little skimpy on abrasion protection. I also have a Alpinestars T-Stunt Airflow jacket I use when it's summer. It flows air well and has descent abrasion protection.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so subjective. I have a Fieldshear Adventure textile jacket that I'm thinking of going to a Tourmaster, Transition Series2 textile jacket. The riders that have Aerostich swear by them. My Fieldshear is great for colder weather but is a little skimpy on abrasion protection. I also have a Alpinestars T-Stunt Airflow jacket I use when it's summer. It flows air well and has descent abrasion protection.
Good luck in your quest.
What is your testing procedure for abrasion protection? The only way I can think of to do it is to go down.

It can depend on where you are too. What works in Colorado mountains doesn't often make sense in South Texas. Once you have geography sorted out, winter & summer may be different too. Oh, are you riding on day trips or around town or a couple of thousand miles? All my stuff is mesh and liners due to area and type of riding I can do because of work restraints.

What do you guys recommend for jackets when riding?
Motorcyclists have worn leather for 100 years.
They also rode hardtails most of that time. I like suspension.

IMHO, new tech fabrics are a lot more practical and comfortable. But like Bluesman noted, this is pretty subjective. I would guess that every major brand and type of jacket is worn by somebody on this board.

If you're a complete newbie, go to some place like newenough.com and read the descriptions to get a sense of what's available.

You want something that will provide protection for both abrasion and impact. For the latter, pay attention to the type of armor included.

Your basic choices are between fabrics (Leather vs. textile. Combos also available. Mesh should be in the mix if you ride in hot places.) and length.

For venting, you want an openings in the back as well as the front.

What do you guys recommend for jackets when riding?
I have lots of jackets, and find that the one that gets most wear is my Olympia mesh. The armor is pretty good but unobtrusive at the same time. I can wear a cool vest under the mesh for hot weather and the rain/wind proof liner when it's cold and wet. The liner also works as a casual jacket.

Jill

What is your testing procedure for abrasion protection? The only way I can think of to do it is to go down.
If you're really interested in this, talk to the folks at Vanson https://www.vansonleathers.com. I really like their stuff. They have two product lines. One line is made at the Fall River, MA factory. The other is imported from an offshore manufacturing facility in South, or maybe Central America.

There are different thicknesses of leathers, hard and soft "armor," as well as CE approved armor. There are also various textile products, including some with kevlar reinforcement and various armor options.

In the end (at least if you're in a low side slide and you manage to get on your back :lol: ), you have to decide for yourself about just how much abrasion protection you think you need. Vanson, and probably others can help you decide.

More protection against abrasion usually means more restriction of motion, and more weight to wag around. There are good compromises though.

Like Ceddec and Bluesman say everything is subjective.I live in North Texas and summer gets into triple digits quick.If you are on a budget like me I have found Tourmaster/Cortech (https://www.tourmaster.com)to be the best for me.The home page on the Tourtech site shows the jacket I wear.It is mesh,decent armor and 3 removable liners for about $120.Easy to carry in trunk and put on if needed.Easy to care for too.Just machine wash in cold water.If you are not on a budget then Aerostich or Vanson rock.Aerostich has an online outlet store too.There is always eBay.One other thing is if you are considering pants then be warned that the kevlar pants like "draggin jeans" may rub your rump raw in about 200 miles.They look really great but sure do beat up my butt

I wouldn't ride with anything but my Motoport. Kevlar instead of a poly-mesh and great in summer or winter. The best abrasion protection. www.motoport.com

If you're seriously worried about getting your ass scratched, leather is the only thing you want. Watch a bike race, and take note what they're wearing.