Recommended Petroleum/Synthetic Oils

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some Googled search on "delvac 1300 super" and came across what looks to be good info, on what oils to be used on motorcycles.Maybe this link could help someone.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
Not sure if I would trust some of the statements in your link. Most are fine but not all. The blanket statement that says 10w40 oils should not be used in bikes where oil runs in both crank and tranny is flat wrong. Just went over this with Pennzoil tech support concerning their conventional 10w40 and I think if you look at the recommended synthetics three of them are 10w40's. Also, the statement on Mobil 1 automotive containing small amounts of moly, that is suspect from two angles. The Mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 is automotive and recommended. Second, are they using moly as synonomous with friction enhancer/modifier/energy conserving? Pretty much all oils have some of these things in their additive package to some degree or another. Those are some that I had a particular knowledge of, maybe Jestal can provide more input but I think they have been covered in two recent threads. I do NOT take issue with their recommended oils although I do have my biases.

Just a comment derived from those other threads. When you look at something like Delvac at $6 a gallon or even less, then do the research to find that shows maybe those particular oils primarily targeted for diesels may be close to being "synthetic", at least in performance rather than "MAYBE" their actual creation, you could dump your oil two to four times for the cost of a true "synthetic." Methinks we might be fooling ourselves into a false sense of wear protection and longevity by spending the big bucks on motorcycle specific synthetic goo.

I did some Googled search on "delvac 1300 super" and came across what looks to be good info, on what oils to be used on motorcycles.Maybe this link could help someone.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
I did a manual search and my conclusion is to use what the manual says. Or what the Yamaha dealer sells you.

Why anybody suddenly thinks they are expert at oils when the maker does all the testing beats me. :huh:

Last word - don't use car oil, ever. The extra lube makes the clutch slip.

Somebody pass me the popcorn and call TWN & Skoot. They'll want to see this. AND...IT"S FRIDAY!!!!

How about synthetic lawnmower oil from Sears? :tease:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who needs Amercia's Dumbest (...I know..Funniest) Videos when you can watch threads like this.

This reminds me of watching my little brother put a kitchen knife in a plug socket. You "should" stop him and tell him why it is a bad idea, but the curiosity in you lets him do it anyway.

Admin will close this thread soon......I know from experience.

Use the search function to look for "oil". You find so much stuff that you will wish you never wanted to know.