Remove fairings.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I've been doing a search but can't find what I need. I have an 07 and I am taking off all the fairings and associated plastic. Are there any secrets I need to know? Is this an easy or difficult job?

The nosepiece is the most difficult. There are these 2 secret screws......

Hopefully kaitsdad will be along and send you (or post) the description and pictures.

Just got back from pre-Thanksgiving shopping with the spousal unit and the offspring.

PM sent.

Wonna these days I'll have to document the process and post it. Sounds like fun for when I'm snowed in. :p

Sounds like fun for when I'm snowed in. :p
Shyeah....Roight! Next time someone does the procedure, it might be lovely for them to take a couple of pictures and send them to Hal. Maybe you could do a write-up and ask Iggy to add it to the Bin-O'-Facts or maybe Dale would put it in FJR Tech. Couldn't hurt!?!?!? :unsure:

Or a muffin tin, those work well too.

Yeah, those work real well till either your 13 yo son or 5 yo grandson comes running into the garage to "HELP" you and manages to kick said muffin tin across the garage floor and bounce it off the far wall while you stand up and try to maintain self control to not bounce said child off that same wall.

Don't ask me how I know! :innocent:

Acutally, something I do now, to make sure the correct screws go with the proper panel, is to use a thin strip of duct tape and tape the screws or put them in a snack size zip loc and tape that to the inside of the panel. That way they are with the exact panel and I don't have to search thru a bunch of baggies trying to find the one I want.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Shyeah....Roight! Next time someone does the procedure, it might be lovely for them to take a couple of pictures and send them to Hal. Maybe you could do a write-up and ask Iggy to add it to the Bin-O'-Facts or maybe Dale would put it in FJR Tech. Couldn't hurt!?!?!? :unsure:
For Gen I anyway...I might tackle this winter. Gotta take the nose off again because of variety of farkles that didn't survive the IBR. ;) Fourth time...I'm probably getting pretty good at it...... :blink:

We would still need a Gen II equivalent.

Or a muffin tin, those work well too.

Yeah, those work real well till either your 13 yo son or 5 yo grandson comes running into the garage to "HELP" you and manages to kick said muffin tin across the garage floor and bounce it off the far wall while you stand up and try to maintain self control to not bounce said child off that same wall.

Don't ask me how I know! :innocent:

Acutally, something I do now, to make sure the correct screws go with the proper panel, is to use a thin strip of duct tape and tape the screws or put them in a snack size zip loc and tape that to the inside of the panel. That way they are with the exact panel and I don't have to search thru a bunch of baggies trying to find the one I want.

Ray
Can I use your experience as another reason to tell my fiance that I do not want kids. :rolleyes:

I use the plastic bag trick, learned it years ago helping the brother overhaul his mustang. I think he just allowed me to be around to put the damn screws, bolts and what not in bags and label them.

Is that like taking digital photos of "interesting" pieces you remove...like vacuum hoses,wire routing or throttle linkage?

Years ago, in our shop, we used to take polaroid photos of complicated linkages,etc. Similar to the "label the bag" trick I use nowadays.

Of course I miss the fun of crawling around the garage floor with a flashlight and threatening anyone who comes close to the entry door.....BTDT. Once was enoughC!

QUOTE(madmike2 @ Nov 22 2007, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that like taking digital photos of "interesting" pieces you remove...like vacuum hoses,wire routing or throttle linkage?

Years ago, in our shop, we used to take polaroid photos of complicated linkages,etc. Similar to the "label the bag" trick I use nowadays.

Of course I miss the fun of crawling around the garage floor with a flashlight and threatening anyone who comes close to the entry door.....BTDT. Once was enoughC!

I've taken a few photos while doing odd things. In the "old" days, I wrote things down and drew diagrams, but a digital camera makes life so much easier.

If it's of interest or help to anyone, I have some pictures here. Just click on any thumbnail to get a larger picture, click on that to get the original (quite large).

I've been doing a search but can't find what I need. I have an 07 and I am taking off all the fairings and associated plastic. Are there any secrets I need to know? Is this an easy or difficult job?
I found a Service Bulletin For Gen II (2006) 17 MPG Fuel Economy Gauge bug/Fix see this pdf:

https://www.dishers.com/FJR/TB_17MPG_M2006-010.PDF

The Dishers. it was extremely helpful. I have 2006 fjr1300a. Just took off the front end (farings). Took about 3hrs after putting all part in separate bags. I’m not mechnically inclined so that would exlplain the 3hr part.

Good luck..

I found a Service Bulletin For Gen II (2006) 17 MPG Fuel Economy Gauge bug/Fix see this pdf:

https://www.dishers.com/FJR/TB_17MPG_M2006-010.PDF

The Dishers. it was extremely helpful. I have 2006 fjr1300a. Just took off the front end (farings). Took about 3hrs after putting all part in separate bags. I’m not mechnically inclined so that would exlplain the 3hr part.

Good luck..

THAT"S the link I was talking about !!!