Removing duct tape residue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this thread, which is not encouraging, but it refers to getting the glue off a windshield:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=104600

I've tried rubbing with WD40, Goo Gone, soap and water, Honda Cleaner. I got no love.

Is there a way to get the stuff off without damaging the paint?

I also got some on the stator cover... that isn't coming off either.

B)

Or do I just plan on getting the panel repainted or replaced? Live with it? Any helpful suggestions?

I found this thread, which is not encouraging, but it refers to getting the glue off a windshield:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=104600

I've tried rubbing with WD40, Goo Gone, soap and water, Honda Cleaner. I got no love.

B)

Or do I just plan on getting the panel repainted or replaced? Live with it? Any helpful suggestions?
Have you tried Naptha? That's lighter fluid.

I used to race cars and used the hell out of duct tape. Spray some WD-40 on it. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, spraying every few minutes. Then it should disolve and wipe off fairly easy. You may need a couple applications but it will work.

I used to race cars and used the hell out of duct tape. Spray some WD-40 on it. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, spraying every few minutes. Then it should disolve and wipe off fairly easy. You may need a couple applications but it will work.
I tried spraying a few times but it is a fairly vertical surface -- would soaking a towel or something with the stuff and holding it in place with painters tape work better?

I found this thread, which is not encouraging, but it refers to getting the glue off a windshield:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=104600

B)

have you tried it? Or is this something I should try on a spot of my beater truck first? Ditto with the eucalyptus oil. I tried a cleaner with an orange oil base -- I heard the glue laughing. I swear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried spraying a few times but it is a fairly vertical surface -- would soaking a towel or something with the stuff and holding it in place with painters tape work better?

B)

have you tried it? Or is this something I should try on a spot of my beater truck first? Ditto with the eucalyptus oil. I tried a cleaner with an orange oil base -- I heard the glue laughing. I swear.
I use lighter fluid to remove all kinds of sticky residue and it does not harm painted surfaces. Let it soak in and it dissolves the stickies.

Just don't light it.

You basically need to find a way to apply the solvent (my recommendation is WD40) and keep it on the spot for some time, in order to begin dissolving the remainders.

See if you can hold it with a paper towel wadded up while holding that with a piece of plastic over it.. you get the idea.

The nice about WD40 is that it should take a very long time (like many days) for it to do any damage /softening of the paint.

I'll +1 to what they all said, but add that the naptha/lighter fluid/etc will evaporate pretty quick.

The fix is to really soak the paper towel and then covering or wrapping it tightly with aluminum foil to keep the stuff from going away.

+1 about what all are saying about an oil based solvent. I've used Naptha, and WD40.

I have done it before on boats , cars, bikes, etc. were the glue is very tough to get off. What I have done is keep it wet with the solvent and gently scrape it off with a plastic razor blade, which you can get at an auto body supply like Napa. The key is to keep it wet and take your time. After it's off then go at it with appropriate light compound and wax.

You might also try rubbing alcohol, although WD40 would be my first choice, too. The adhesive on duct tape gets harder to remove the longer it sits there. The tape itself get easier. Go figure.

pete :cold:

Brake Kleen - It does NOT eat paint but will dissolve most any goo. Do not use it on raw plastic!

Spray some on a rag and it should clean the duct tape residue off easily.

I've had really good luck with 3M Adhesive Remover sold in the automotive paint supplies area of better (non chain) auto parts stores. It is made to remove auto grade stickers, emblems and accents (as well as genuine simulated wood grain body panel decals).

13604.gif
4154.gif
5531.jpg