removing steering head cap nut

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this is somewhere in the Bin-O-Facts threads but I could not find the answer. I need to remove the steering head cap nut in order to replace it with a ram ball threaded nut. It requires a 36mm socket and torqued to 85 lbs-ft. When replacing the nut, do I leave the bike on the center stand and torque the nut to 85 lbs-ft with the bars full turn right? Tks for your advice on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!! Job done. Took an hour to find a 36mm socket. Finally found one at an auto parts store. They charged $12 for the only one they had which was an impact socket. I completed the task and returned the socket for a refund.

Save money and get a 1-7/16" 6-pt socket. Add a wrap of blue painters tape to the nut for a no-mar R&R.

YMMV

--G

Wait... what? You returned a tool?
nono.gif

Time to turn in your man card.

A man never reduces the number of tools he owns (at least not voluntarily).
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I will hang on to my man card. I do plan to purchase a six pt 36mm socket at Sears for about $5. Unfortunately they were out of stock locally at the time I needed to do the job. You see, I just received the Ram mount parts and am leaving Mon. 5-19 on a ride to NV, NM, CO, and UT. When in a pinch, you do what you need to do short of going to the stealer. I did use masking tape of the nuts to avoid marring the edges.

OK, I will hang on to my man card. I do plan to purchase a six pt 36mm socket at Sears for about $5. Unfortunately they were out of stock locally at the time I needed to do the job. You see, I just received the Ram mount parts and am leaving Mon. 5-19 on a ride to NV, NM, CO, and UT. When in a pinch, you do what you need to do short of going to the stealer. I did use masking tape of the nuts to avoid marring the edges.
How do you buy a 36mm six point socket for $5.00?

How do you buy a 36mm six point socket for $5.00?
How? By walking in the store and asking for a 36mm six point socket and laying a $5 bill on the counter.
Sorry, Cheap. I just couldn't resist.... :)