Removing stock bar inserts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Reaction score
Heya, I picked up a used throttlemeister from a board member who was selling his accessories separately from the bike. The TM was installed when he bought the FJR, and he doesn't have the tool to remove the stock rubber inserts from the handlebar.

Does anyone have an alternate method of removal, or, failing that, is anyone interested in parting with their removal tool? (Or would anyone within a reasonable distance of Victorville, CA mind letting me drop by and use yours?)

thanks a bunch!

If you can't find anyone local that has one, I could ship you mine (assuming I can find it). Not like I need it anymore B)

Puller with the bolt, and a bar end insert that's been pulled out

ELP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find anyone local that has one, I could ship you mine (assuming I can find it). Not like I need it anymore B)
Silent, do you happen to know if the bar end insert can be mounted back should that be desired, i.e. how is it fixed in the bar end originally, pressure fit, glue, etc. - just curious.

Silent, do you happen to know if the bar end insert can be mounted back should that be desired, i.e. how is it fixed in the bar end originally, pressure fit, glue, etc. - just curious.
I believe its a simple press fit, you can see from the pic that there's no adhesive. You should be able to use a driver to put it back in if you desire.

I'm with Silent. That puller is the 'right' way to get it out, but you may be able to partially thread the long bolt into the insert (without the weight) and try to gently pull outward. I, too, probably have that puller somewhere on the work bench...?? But you'll need the insert (obviously) if you want to use the throttle control function. If you just want the bar ends for their weight/look, you could live without it.

Could you make a puller out of a deep socket, a large flat washer, and a long bolt with thread to match the hole in the existing bar end?

That's what this childhood rural mechanic would have done.

Could you make a puller out of a deep socket, a large flat washer, and a long bolt with thread to match the hole in the existing bar end?

I read that, then looked at the picture and thought "that's what is pictured.....wait...."

You worked in town.... rural...

That's on the list of possibilities, but I'd have to remove My G2 first, it's a bit past the end of the bar and I don't wanna screw it up. A valid option, but not my first choice...

I may take you up on that if I can't find one locally, thank you for offering!

(I'm going to try a few more times with the original allen screw and whatever I can use from the toolbox first)

Contact TM. Good folks to work with. They may just sell you a tool for the shipping cost. If you count shipping to you and then shipping back, it may just be cheaper to buy it.

Latest posts