repair insurance lieu of Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempest766

Reaction score
So does anyone have experience with any of the 3rd party repair insurance out there? What do you do if yours is a newer low mileage bike, but it cannot be covered under YES because the previous owner let it expire? I think for a fair price, protection against defects in expensive components up to like five years is a pretty important consideration, given what service shops charge and what replacement parts cost.

Any of those companies or policies worth their weight in SPAM?

I got stuck with one for a truck once (they misrepresented it as factory). Do NOT do this. It typically locks you into the one dealership and the company writing the policy typically fades into the night before the time runs out so that even the dealership that sold it no longer honors it.

YES will get you service nationally.

D&H in Cullman, AL, for YES. $390 IIRC. Easy to find.
Won't work for the original question.

So does anyone have experience with any of the 3rd party repair insurance out there? What do you do if yours is a newer low mileage bike, but it cannot be covered under YES because the previous owner let it expire? I think for a fair price, protection against defects in expensive components up to like five years is a pretty important consideration, given what service shops charge and what replacement parts cost.
Any of those companies or policies worth their weight in SPAM?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. if you can't get the factory YES, then your best bet is to roll the dice and take your chances. In all likelihood you will never have a claim in the 5 year coverage anyway. That was true for my '05 and true so far on my '14. Both bikes had full YES, neither one have required using it (so far, knock on wood).

But I thought you bought a new 15A leftover? You mentioned breaking it in on Sunday in another thread.

So...I have never bought a policy like that for a motorcycle. I have purchased 2 of them though, one for a truck, and one for our Expedition. Both got used, and both were worth their weight in gold. The first one was through my Credit Union when I did a refinance on my old truck. Kind of before today's Internet information, so I trusted my CU would have my back. The Expedition's policy came along when they solicited me. I did a LOT of research, and it paid off. That one was the best money I have ever spent!

If you're concerned, and it will give you peace of mind, do some research and buy one. I love how everyone extols how to won't have any problems, but I'm sure none of them will step up with a credit card if you run into an issue where you are looking at a large out-of-pocket expense to fix a repair that is beyond you.

Now, they are correct, these bikes fail very seldom, but stupid things happen, like the rear caliper stripping when trying to remove the bolts, or the cheesy plastic side fairings popping off at speed because the tabs broke. What any warranty is worth to you depens on how mechanical you are. If you have the knowledge, tools, and space, just about anything is possible. If you dont, well, it may just be better to turn your bike over to a dealer.

Read all the fine print, and don't pay too much. What ever you decide to do, good luck!

But I thought you bought a new 15A leftover? You mentioned breaking it in on Sunday in another thread.
According to a Yahhhmy service guy the VIN I gave him came back as the bike being purchased in mid 2015 and warranty expiring in 2016.

I just rode it nearly 80 miles home from the dealer in 42degree cold dampness and it hummed along fine, as if I should expect anything other than that?

Will be doing 100-150ish miles tomorrow as a true maiden ride. Decided to invite a couple of friends on cruisers and head up to an out of the way hole in the wall with good food and micro-brews, for a late lunch.

That was the misstep during the PdP days.

Dealers were only supposed to order a model when someone paid the $500 (and the purchase window was limited). Some dealers decided to lie to Yamaha Corp and ordered "store models" under the names of employees. Those titles had to be xfered to the purchasers with something like 30 days. If the bike didn't sell off the floor quickly enough, the title got transferred and the OEM warranty clock started ticking.

Some owners found they had bought a new bike with only a fraction of the original warranty left. AND that, according to their state, they had just paid new bike prices for a used bike.

Hmmmm... if I correctly understand what happened, then the dealer sold the bike fraudulently. If he portrayed the bike as new and it legally is used, then you seem to have grounds for a claim (I'm not a lawyer). Any repair for which you have to pay that would have been covered by a YES could/should be the responsibility of the dealer. Do I have this right?

No. I bought as 2015a as a used bike. First owner owned it for over a year and the warranty expired. I want some some sort of protection against faulty parts now.

An aftermarket warranty is high-priced insurance. It is you betting that the bike will be less reliable than the insurer thinks it will be. A lot of these guys are quick to deny claims so do your research before buying. I have never purchased an extended or aftermarket warranty for anything. So far, I am way ahead!

We have a third party service contract, not warranty, from a company called Protective Asset Protection for our RV (5th wheel).

I cant tell you what the price would be for a motorcycle; they do offer coverage -

https://www.protectiveassetprotection.com/Portals/0/Highlight-Sheets/On-Off-Road-Vehicles.pdf

We have made a number of claims over the last 5 yrs, two of which were big $$. They have been easy to deal with in the sense that they do exactly what the contract says they will do, and so my caution would be to be sure you understand exactly what you are paying for. In one claim they did pay for a local one off replacement part at about 5 times the price of the OEM part as we were travelling and living in the unit at the time. (OEM part was 3 months back ordered)

The biggest issue - most shops have never heard of this company, and want to be paid by me. Then I get the $ from Protective. I like doing it this way because then I control the quality of the repair, the shop isnt paid till I am happy, rather than when an adjuster on the phone is told all is well. So you have to be able to finance the repairs up front. Pymt takes about a week.

And shop around, different vendors will sell this product at different prices. I called Protective and asked them to give me the names of 2/3 of their resellers in my area. Ended up buying on line from an RV dealer on the other side of the country, about 20% less.

-Steve