Repair of Broken Mirror??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
Wife knocked my 05 FJR over backing up the truck. I already forgave her--lots of tears, etc... The only thing that broke is the rivet looking thing that attaches the mirror to the pivot (pivot is bolted to the cowling--mirror is bolted to pivot). Anyone tried to replace the rivet with a bolt of a similar size to re-attach the mirror? There are some spring type washers that go between the pivot and mirror to keep tension on the mirror. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks, Tracy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I broke an 07 mirror post during a 0-speed drop. Had no access to parts, no dealers around had stock, had days of travel and hundreds of miles to go. Used quick-set JB Weld and some fiberglass reinforcing tape. It worked surprisingly well and remained intact for the next three weeks while I ordered and received a replacement. Only thing is that it was an ugly repair.

But it was better than no mirror until the replacement came in.

I (and probably may others) have replaced a mirror and might have the hardware you need if it came with the new mirror. Let me take a look when I get home and see if this stuff is with my scrap one.

The only thing that broke is the rivet looking thing that attaches the mirror to the pivot (pivot is bolted to the cowling--mirror is bolted to pivot). Anyone tried to replace the rivet with a bolt of a similar size to re-attach the mirror?
This is a rather typical repair of the "EMGO" aftermarket FZ-1 mirrors that are prone to failure in the same way. There is a chronicle somewhere by Toecutter. When I repaired mine, I took the mirror stalk with me to Ace harware and bought the correct diameter and length bolt and a self locking nut (Nylock). I seem to remember having to drill a flange, but its been 2 years or so. I then bolted the pieces together, including the washers) with just enough tension to hold them and still allow the mirror to fold.

I have looked at the mirror and see that it is a stud recessed into th composite of the mirror arm. I would buy a new one here for $82 + shipping/ no tax. Buy some yamaha oil filters while you're there.

Seattle Motorsports

I have looked at the mirror and see that it is a stud recessed into th composite of the mirror arm. I would buy a new one here for $82 + shipping/ no tax. Buy some yamaha oil filters while you're there. Seattle Motorsports
He has a 2005, I assume you looked at someone else's. There is only 1 pivot point and it does have a rivet end. They've been known to fail on the aftermarked EMGO mirror sold on Ebay. The OldGen mirrors are easier to repair than the '06-'07 mirrors.

IIRC, the FZ-1 mirrors are around $75 @ University Motors.

Mr Dogs, I did in fact repair an 05 mirror using a bolt and nut. You can fool around with the torque and actually get it so it'll hold when extended and still be foldable. I used the "wave" washer that was originally on the mirror. That said, I eventually replaced with the FZ-1 mirrors and still think that's one of the best changes I've made on the bike!

Yes, a bolt with a stiff spring, washers on each end of the spring, loctite or two nuts, one tightened against the other, work much better than the original cheap brass rivit.