Replacement Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
Back when I bought my 2010 in August 2012, I searched what heated grips I wanted to use. I chose the Show Chrome Accessories GoldWing heated grip kit. I mainly chose this kit because the ShowChrome controller closely resembles the factory FJR controller. No problems with the heated grips until I recently took the bike into a local dealer for some warranty work. The throttle side grip heater didnt work after I got it back. I wanted to still use the controller that I had installed, but needed new heated grips.

I did some research and found that Oxford currently offers a Heaterz Premium Adventure Heated Grips. These heated grips are the correct length for the FJR. And even more important, you don't have to buy the whole kit. You can buy JUST the throttle and clutch side grips without having to purchase the entire kit.

OF690C6 Replacement CLUTCH Grip

OF690T7 Replacement THROTTLE Grip

I ordered them from Revzilla and about a week later I had the replacement grips. I used a multi-meter and checked the Oxford grips vs the one good heater that I had left from Show Chrome. The resistance of both brands was the same. 7.8 ohms.

This swap might be a possibility for replacing the stock FJR heated grips if someone has a grip heater failure. If you have a way to ohm out a stock FJR heated grip, please post what you got for a reading. Both grips shipped from Revzilla for about $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea J, be interesting to determine if they'll work. Love the KTMTwins I installed on the Tenere...stock grips on the '15 - meh.

--G

... If you have a way to ohm out a stock FJR heated grip, please post what you got for a reading....
From the '06 workshop manual:

Grip warmer

Resistance FJR13AE 1.21-1.48 ohms at 20C (68 F)

From the '14 workshop manual:

Grip warmer
Grip warmer resistance ( L ) 1.21-1.48 ohms
Grip warmer resistance ( R ) 1.17-1.43 ohms

I have the oxford adventure grips on my 2010. They work great! I considered the Apollo, as I love their integrated controller, but there just wasn't much info on them as far as reviews. With oxford there was a ton of info out there. I also have had the KTM heated grips on a.... KTM. They were also very effective and cheap.

... If you have a way to ohm out a stock FJR heated grip, please post what you got for a reading....
From the '06 workshop manual:

Grip warmer

Resistance FJR13AE 1.21-1.48 ohms at 20C (68 F)

From the '14 workshop manual:

Grip warmer
Grip warmer resistance ( L ) 1.21-1.48 ohms
Grip warmer resistance ( R ) 1.17-1.43 ohms
Not what I wanted to see. From those numbers it appears that the Oxfords would only get luke warm.

7.8 ohms (Oxford) vs 1.48 ohms (Stock FJR)

I expect the Oxfords are designed to run in parallel whereas the FJR OEM run in series, giving a combined resistance of around 3.9 for the Oxford, 2.9 for the OEM.

So not very different if wired appropriately.