Replacement valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've never replaced them on the FJR, but on other Japanese bikes, one of the two common sizes they have at auto parts stores works perfectly, so I don't think there is anything unusual about them. I'm not a big fan of right-angle valves.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
A TR-412 works for me up front, went with a short straight metal one on the rear, I didn't want quite that much mass to counterbalance on the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry too much about how heavy the replacement valve stem is, especially on the rear wheel. It seems that the unshod rear wheel is lightest at the valve stem by a pretty healthy amount, so sticking a heavier valve in will actually be improving that overall balance situation.
3/4 oz was about right for me too, but it was at 90 degrees to the valve stem. Rim is now marked.

jim

"every six or seven years "

The auto tire guys do it everytime tires are changed, I generally do it every other tire change on the bikes which isn't a six year interval. ;)

When a rubber valve stem develops a crack that leaks, deflation can take place rather quickly.

Yes, I recently had new tires and valve stems installed on one of my cars. They were the OE tires with 106K miles and were over six years old. I doubt that the rubber stems age any faster than tires. Of course the thin inner layer of tire rubber that contains the air is not exposed to the sunlight.

That was by far the most miles I've ever gotten from a set of tires -- Bridgestones.

Yes, I recently had new tires and valve stems installed on one of my cars. They were the OE tires with 106K miles and were over six years old. I doubt that the rubber stems age any faster than tires. Of course the thin inner layer of tire rubber that contains the air is not exposed to the sunlight.
That was by far the most miles I've ever gotten from a set of tires -- Bridgestones.
Holly crap, 106K miles, damn, i've heard of people changing cars in less mileage than that :)

Did you win any kind of award from Bridgestone for that kind of mileage on a single set of rubber?

Light, underpowered car riding on fairly wide tires.

Four cyliinder Honda Accord with manual transmission

Never replaced the front brake pads. Still have lots of wear left. Obviously I don't brake or accelerate all that hard.

Tires weren't all the way down to the wear bars. One night in a driving rainstorm it hydroplaned once or twice so I scared myself into new tires.