Replacing magneto? cover.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguy

Reaction score
I need to replace the cover on the left side of the engine, which was described to me as a "magneto" cover. Don't know why it would be called that as I doubt the FJR uses magneto's. Seems pretty straightforward but since I don't have a shop manual - you never know.

Now that I am a pro at bodywork removal and installation I thought I'd broaden my skill set.

Thanks

I don't know if your FJR would still run if you put a magneto cover over the stator ;)

It is a pretty simple job, the hardest part will be sealing up the rubber grommet that the stator wires exit through. Keep track of the wire retainers, both the where and the orientation. 8.7 ft/lb; 10 places.

If you find an Electrosport Stator install "How To", the stator cover should be included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let your fingers wander under the edge when the new one goes on. That's a really strong magnet, and it sucks the cover on really fast.

Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to replace the cover on the left side of the engine, which was described to me as a "magneto" cover.
Unless somebody has been reading a British service manual......maybe whoever is describing it to you has been buying manuals off eBay again? :rolleyes:

Additional recommended tools & misc.: 2-3 sharp, narrow plastic putty knives/paint scrapers for removing the old gasket; a red Sharpie to mark the bottom engine case bolt (shorter than the others), an impact driver (to remove the stator wire bracket screw inside the engine case cover), 1 can of good quality spray brake cleaner (for cleaning out old gasket material), an air compressor or 2 cans of compressed air, e.g., Dust Off (use before brake cleaner to blow out bigger chunks of debris), red Loctite (for stator wire bracket screw), blue Loctite (for engine case bolts), Yamabond 4 gasket compound (for stator wire grommet)

The terms are somewhat interchangeable depending on the country of origin and how much of a 'sitckler' one is for correctness/semantics. They also can get re-named in a translation from one language to another.

A permanent magnet AC generator can, certainly, be called a magneto -- although, the term 'magneto' is usually reserved for an ignition generating device using permanent magnets.

It's easier, imo, if one accepts the terms generator, DC generator, AC generator, alternator, magneto, magneto CDI, and more -- as overall electrical generating devices; and, then focuses on correct terminology when necessary (i.e., troubleshooting, ordering parts, technical discussions, etc). :unsure: jm $.02