Replacing my hour long stock seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
I am just now (two months later) getting out of the dog house with the Mrs. over the purchase of the 2009. She has even gone for 3 short rides. I need something more comfortable for at least the front seat, not sure about replacing the back. My resources are such that I can't spend the money to try more than one seat option. Bike has riser bars and V stream shield. I am 5'10" and weigh 165. My inseam is 26" (length on jeans is 30"). I know that the Day Long seems pretty popular, as are the Corbins. How do I get this right the first time?

I am just now (two months later) getting out of the dog house with the Mrs. over the purchase of the 2009. She has even gone for 3 short rides. I need something more comfortable for at least the front seat, not sure about replacing the back. My resources are such that I can't spend the money to try more than one seat option. Bike has riser bars and V stream shield. I am 5'10" and weigh 165. My inseam is 26" (length on jeans is 30"). I know that the Day Long seems pretty popular, as are the Corbins. How do I get this right the first time?
Go for the Russell or Mayer, not the Corbin. Do the ride in, let them custom make the thing to your azz. The Mayer will likely allow you to be flatter footed at rest.

At some point in the not too distant future, I plan on getting a Mayer (Rick). He is in Cottonwood, CA which is just south of Redding.

I do recall there being a custom seat builder up there in Oreygunn, but can't remember the name of the shop....

I am a real fan of the Russell Day Long. It takes a little while to get use to the 'wings" of the seat but once you do it is very, comfortable. My second choice would be a Bill Mayer. Offers a little less support than the Russell but a real quality seat. Third choice would be Rick Mayer. (I think Bill's seat is better quality and more of a "custom" fit than Rick's work). The Corbin and Sargent seats tend to be too hard for me. They say they break in over time, but it is a long time if it ever happens. Also I had bad experiences with Corbin from a customer service standpoint, (but that was 4-5 years ago).

The Russell will raise you up some, (as well as most custom seats that focus on comfort).

If you want to drop over to the other side of the river this weekend we could put my Russell on your bike and you could try it out. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

There are two schools of thought on this. One group installs handlebar risers, and then immediately starts complaining about the windshield and seat. The risers put your head up higher, away from the shield, and put your weight back on your tailbone.

The other group learns to use the "Master Yoda" techniques - link - and does fine with the stock seat. Slide forward on the seat, carry your weight on your thighs and feet. Don't lean on your hands. That's the way the FJR was designed to be ridden.

At 5'10" and 165#, you should be fine with the stock seat if you get rid of the risers. I'm 5' 11", 185#, and have well over 20K with the stocker, including 7200 miles in ten days last spring. The seat has never been a problem.

While I've had 3 corbins and have one arriving next week for my 09 , I'd suggest a Bill Mayer , more expensive , but chances are you will love it. Corbins aren't for everyone .. too firm . Although I've loved mine.

If you don't care about the changing the aesthetics from a sexy touring bike to an old man's gold wing then get a Russell. ;)

I notice you're in Portland...the proud home of cement. It's a bit of a ride to get to Ojai California to visit Bill Mayer Saddles. But even if you can't they take internet orders.

FYI, I've been riding one now for over a year and I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the value, the workmanship and the "butt-side" pleasure compared to the OEM. They will work with you until you're happy too. A very good crew.

Good luck with your search.

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two schools of thought on this. One group installs handlebar risers, and then immediately starts complaining about the windshield and seat. The risers put your head up higher, away from the shield, and put your weight back on your tailbone.
The other group learns to use the "Master Yoda" techniques - link - and does fine with the stock seat. Slide forward on the seat, carry your weight on your thighs and feet. Don't lean on your hands. That's the way the FJR was designed to be ridden.

At 5'10" and 165#, you should be fine with the stock seat if you get rid of the risers. I'm 5' 11", 185#, and have well over 20K with the stocker, including 7200 miles in ten days last spring. The seat has never been a problem.
Dont know about Mr Yoda, I call it sitting strong in the seat. This takes effort and time to develop. IMO no matter what seat you get, it will never feel like a recliner. Heck sit in a recliner for several hours and you'll get tired of that thing too!

There are lots of things you can do to improve your riding comfort with out spending a dime, but its work. Or like so many others, you may just want to get there right NOW!

Had my 08 2 years now, just put on 1400 miles over the weekend, sure my arse gets tired after 400 Mi day, but not worth 600.00+ to change my seat. Better spent on beers after the ride! Oh, 5-10, 240 lbs. Ride on!

Had my 08 2 years now, just put on 1400 miles over the weekend, sure my arse gets tired after 400 Mi day, but not worth 600.00+ to change my seat. Better spent on beers after the ride! Oh, 5-10, 240 lbs. Ride on!
$600 is alot of beer for the weekend... :clapping:

W2

I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I have an '05, with risers, and I like the way the risers give me a little more upright riding position. This changes the way the rider fits on the stock seat though! I can still get into the twisties, but bought this bike to be able to wander aimlessly around. Here is what I've done to mine...

I cut out a piece of the seat...

seat1.jpg

Inserted a piece of medical grade memory foam , called a "pudgee pad"...

seat2.jpg

Then shaped it back close to stock,... and went a little further to give myself a subtle place to "sit in". Just changing the angle of the sitting position, to make up for the change from the risers!

seat3.jpg

Then pulled the stock cover back in place, and stapled it! You have to know I did it, to know I did it!

seat4.jpg

and on long trips I love my Alaska Sheepskin!

seat5.jpg

I think the pudgee pad was about 30 bucks.

Electric knife was 10.

Already had the staple gun, but they're pretty cheap as well.

Still happy 25k miles later!

I'm sure the full custom is a sweet deal, but I like being married and have kids to feed.

Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like the Russell may be the way to go. In 2008 I was involved in car accident that left me with neck and lower back problems. The riser bars have gone a long way toward making riding the bike less painful, so removing those is not an option. LDRydr, what a generous offer, I will send a PM your way and see when we can get together. One other point that I didn't mention, is that for longer rides I am more comfortable with the stock seat in the high position since that allows me to relax the legs a bit more.

Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like the Russell may be the way to go. In 2008 I was involved in car accident that left me with neck and lower back problems. The riser bars have gone a long way toward making riding the bike less painful, so removing those is not an option.
Aha! Some important information to help understand your plight.

Buy the Russell. As Fred mentioned, have the pillion seat done, too, so your wife will be as happy as you are.

I've over 80K miles on my seat. Last year's vacation was pretty much 400+ miles per day for 13 days (okay, 2 short days at the Canadian FJR Rally). Last day was Jackson, WY to Sacramento, CA. I could have ridden the following days. To me it's worth the money.

The Russel is your best bet for all day riding comfort, yoda or not. I say that only having compared it with stock seats, not a Corbin or either of the Mayer seats, or the Sargeant seat. Yoda will help you with your shoulders, back, neck, but unless you are able to support most of your weight off the seat with your legs for 8 hours, you need that seat. I am on my second Russel seat and would not have anything else. It is costly, but worth it, if you are intend to do more than 4 or 5 hours a day in the saddle. The quality and comfort will be appreciated long after the cost is forgotten. I tortured myself for years and many thousands of miles trying keep my butt from burning on long rides on stock seats before I finally anted up. And don't discount the comfort of your pillion. If her butt is not happy on a long ride, you won't be, either!