Return trip from Reno to So-Cal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
Howdy from NORCO, CA

It looks like the heat will be up for the return trip Sunday of WFO weekend. I figure I will need 9hrs of ride time in order to get home. The Valley will be hot and so will the Mojave so I am making plans to beat the heat and survive the trip SAFELY!

I would appreciate any E-mails or posts from any So-Cal guys that are planning to be back Sunday in time for work Monday.

I will be starting out for home after the Saturday evening dinner in Reno and trying to make it to Bishop, CA. There I will stay the night and get up early Sunday to beat the Heat and Wind. If I get out at 5am I will be home by the 9am zone while it is still cool.

Is anyone goin' my way??

Dan

I have no plans for getting back yet.

Cooler sounds safer :)

Where you staying in Bishop?

Hotel?

Let's talk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be leaving o:darkthirty on Sunday morning - heading for Sandy Eggo. Tooling up and down 395 to I-15 - last time I did it wasn't too bad, but I got snowed on at Mammoth.

Just bring plenty of water and gas up before you hit Bridgeport - or get a loan for gas. Lee Vining aint much better -

a remind to those heading south - stop at the gas station just south of Lee vining on Tioga Pass - it is just off of 395. Great food for a gas station - seriously. then cut across tioga if you want, but then you will have to mug through the central valley which WILL BE FREEKIN' WARM and nasty traffic on 99. I would prefer to stay on 395 and face the desert.

You guys might want to check with Isamacorp. Joseph isn't on the board much, but he will be there Friday night and I assume he's heading home Sunday for "the valley" in Ellay.

Another option is to head to the coast and run 1,101. I am headed to Escondido from Reno, But i wont be leaving till 8/1.

Yup, the 101 and hwy 1 are looking like the best temperature areas for riding to Reno. Pawtracks and I are going to do the 395 on the way home. We will be going from Reno to Bishop after the Saturday night banquet. We will then start out in the early morning for the Mojave run before it gets hot. Love those morning sunrises. B)

You guys might want to check with Isamacorp. Joseph isn't on the board much, but he will be there Friday night and I assume he's heading home Sunday for "the valley" in Ellay.

Ditto bigdolma...
Thanks TWN,

Yup guys, I am heading back Sunday. No plans, and I am in Diamond Bar. Open for suggestions.

Well, I am here sometimes....

I plan on heading back to SoCal on Sunday. Almost any departure time on that day will work for me as will 80/5, 395/14 or 101. It's going to be hot no matter which way we ride.

I am planning on leaving the Valley for Reno around 05:00h on Friday so I should be hanging around the Hilton in the afternoon. I will also have my cell 818 424 2802. Looking forward to seeing you all.

If anyone wants to go with us Saturday night after the Dinner let me know. Our goal is to avoid the heat and get home early. Pawtracks and I will be staying over in Bishop, CA on Saturday night. This decision was because of the Wheather mostly. Too hot to do the tail end of the Mojave in the heat or Thunderstorms or flash floods or afternoon hot cross wind. Been there, done that, happy that I lived to tell about it :) I'm just trying to plan for the safest trip home and since the wheather is unpredictable lately.....thats my best pick. I also figure that I will be riding my ass off the entire trip and may need to split the distance for the home trip.

Keep me posted, 714-313-0368cell

Dan

If anyone wants to go with us Saturday night after the Dinner let me know. Our goal is to avoid the heat and get home early. Pawtracks and I will be staying over in Bishop, CA on Saturday night. This decision was because of the Wheather mostly. Too hot to do the tail end of the Mojave in the heat or Thunderstorms or flash floods or afternoon hot cross wind. Been there, done that, happy that I lived to tell about it :) I'm just trying to plan for the safest trip home and since the wheather is unpredictable lately.....thats my best pick. I also figure that I will be riding my ass off the entire trip and may need to split the distance for the home trip.
Keep me posted, 714-313-0368cell

Dan

Bigdolma is meeting with you Dan, and going with you to Reno on thursday. Give him a PM

To "propose" another Sunday Exit, I will be leaving Reno in the wee early hour of 7:00AM, heading West on 80 to Sacto, then on over to the 680 to hook up with the 101 South in San Jose. From there (hopefully before noon?) I'll be heading for Monterey/Carmel over 156 then down "the One" for Morro Bay. Anybody can tag along if interested!

I will be back at work (in the classroom) at 8:00AM on Monday!

khunajawdge

(Thank God for Mira Cool vests)