Review: FieldSheer Adventure Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofreeride

Reaction score
I bought a pair from Bike Bandit this summer, but did not wear them much until the weather got a little cooler.

Problems I had with the pants:

1. The zipper on the fly ripped out, twice. I sent the first pair back after I noticed the zipper was broken when I tried them on. I requested a return through BikeBandit's web site, but had to call them when there was no follow-up for several days. The zipper on the second pair ripped out about the third or fourth time I wore them. It was too late to send them back, and I didn't want to go through the hassle again, anyway. There are snaps on the fly, and a velcro flap, so they still work without the zipper.

2. Size. I was warned that FieldSheer runs small, and to order one size larger than I would normally wear. In my case, I should have ordered two sizes larger. The high waist is waaaay too tight. I can't even fasten the velcro flaps. I cannot wear normal pants with the liner under the pants at the same time. Even though they are comfortable everywhere else, the waist is too tight.

3. Leg zipper. I cannot put these pants on or off with my boots on. This makes them very inconvenient and impractical to wear. A longer zipper would not be that hard to design into these pants. Also, the zipper almost always gets caught in the liner material when zipping down the leg opening.

4. They are HOT! Not for warm temperatures. The waterproof lining in the pants holds all of the sweat in when it's warm outside.

Things I like about the pants:

1. They are pretty comfortable (except the waist). The fit is very good and the armor and padding is not at all uncomfortable unless they get too hot.

2. Warm and waterproof. The insulated liner is not even needed until temps are below 40 degrees. In fact, I have not worn the liner since I tried it on and my legs have never been cold. Also, no need for separate rain gear.

Overall Impressions:

Just the thought of having to put these pants on, as opposed to my Joe Rocket Mesh or Sliders Kevlar, actually discourages me from riding in cooler or wet temperatures. I am looking into having them altered just to salvage my investment. If they would fit in the waist, and I could put them on over boots, I would be satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Thanks for the review, as I too am looking for some pant gear. Was curious about that waist band, hard to tell on the pics from the website. Any thoughts of having the alterer install some long zippers along the lower legs?

Problems I had with the pants:1. The zipper on the fly ripped out, twice.

3. Leg zipper.
I've had a couple different Fieldsheer and they all went to shit pretty rapidly, the zippers being the first point of failure. On one pair I finally got a local person to put in a real zippper, then the seams ripped out LOL
YMMV

Any thoughts of having the alterer install some long zippers along the lower legs?
Exactly what I was thinking. There is a stretch panel of very heavy elastic on both sides of the waist. Taking out these panels and lengthening the velcro flaps is all I need to do, along with adding longer leg zippers and fixing the fly zipper.

I have a little different take on Fieldsheer but don't have a long term evaluation.

I was surfing overstock.com and they had a few motorcycle items but also links to other sites. One that I tried had FS Booster

pants in my size only (3XL Tall) for $55.00. I received them 3 days later and they appear to be well made. The fit was good

(I'm 6'7" and the tall inseam is 38" which is perfect). The leg zippers go all the way up to the pockets so putting them on over my

size 15 boots is no problem. They are made of a heavy fabric and also have a quilted liner. I don't imagine I'll be wearing the whole kit much here in Florida but without the liner they should be quite comfortable on the cooler days and I should be prepared to venture further north should the opportunity arises. Hope I don't encounter any of your problems with the fly but if I do I'll certainly report back...bigjimbiker

Quick Review

Firstgear Overpants Model h20:

Pros: I have had them for 2 years and wear them a lot. Without waterproof liner, very cool and comfy. Waterproof liner adds a ton of warmth and obviously waterproof.

Cons: Almost all my zippers have broken (the part you pull on). I have added a heavy duty paperclip to get them to work.

My 2 cents,

Dave

I have a call in to see if they will stand by their product. No reply yet. On day 3 for waiting.

That's odd. I bought a couple of pair and really like them. I haven't had any problem with them, but I just bought the riding pants without any of the armor built in. These just have the Kevlar reinforcements. Sorry to hear that you all had a bad experience. Maybe I just got lucky. These were only $45.

Hrm ... makes me nervous about my Fieldsheer Four Season pants, which are part of my daily commuting gear. So far I've worn them 5x a week for almost four months straight without any zipper problems.

I'll keep on the lookout; I've already had to do the big-ass paperclip trick on my Teknic leather pants.

Quick Review
Firstgear Overpants Model h20:

Pros: I have had them for 2 years and wear them a lot. Without waterproof liner, very cool and comfy. Waterproof liner adds a ton of warmth and obviously waterproof.

Cons: Almost all my zippers have broken (the part you pull on). I have added a heavy duty paperclip to get them to work.

My 2 cents,

Dave

I have a call in to see if they will stand by their product. No reply yet. On day 3 for waiting.
Update: Firstgear will either send me new zippers to fix my broken ones or I can send pants in and they will fix them. All I'll need to pay is shippinig to them.

Figure that's pretty good service for well warn 2 year old overpants.

Dave

I also have a pair of the Fieldsheer Adventure pants. I will agree that they are a little warm when being worn in hot weather, but I have worn mine in 80+ temps and they were not all that bad.

1) As far as the zippers and/or lining being ripped out or torn! I would think those of you that manage to rip either out must be tugging like hell on the zipper. My zippers work great. Never a problem with the function of the zippers.

2) The Adventure pant is not designed to be worn over pants, although because I don't care for the feeling of the material they are made of, I usually wear a thin pair of long underwear under them to make them feel better while wearing.

3) Sizing? I had to send the first pair back because they were too long, and I'm 6'4" and generally wear a pair of jeans in a 38X36. I sent them back because of the length and even after adjusting the knee pads, they still did not fit right. The pair I got the second time fits just right.

4) I wear a pair of TCX Infinity Gore-Tex Touring boots in a 13, so unless the legs had zippers all the way up to my ass, there is no way I could put them on over my boots. But I don't use them as "raingear", so once I put them on, I keep them on until I've reached my destination.

5) Fit & Finish: They are a sharp looking pants that are constructed really well. In my personal experience, the zippers work great, as I have had zero problems with them. However, I can see where the leg zippers could get stuck in the material if normal care is not taken because you need to pay attention to what you are doing.

6) Waist Fit: My Adventure pants fit me just right around the waist. They are true to size as I am 38 in the waist and I ordered the 38/40 in the Adventure pant. If you have a big gut, then they might squeeze you around the middle. So if interested in these, order accordingly.

Summary: I like the look, fit and design. However, nothing is more comfortable than your best fitting pair of jeans, these pants included. Of course jeans don't protect as well.

Well, I have had my Fieldsheer Titainium Air mesh pants for about 3 years now , and have had zero zipper problems.

I also have a Firstgear mesh jacket that the zippers are fine in too,,,but I did have one of the snaps that hold the liner in fall off. Might have been my fault pulling it off, but my wife has the same jacket and so far, they seem to be holding up.

As are the zippers on my Fieldsheer Aviator jacket, but I only have had it 2 years now.

I am not saying that anyone is mistreating their gear, but I have seen riders be pretty aggressive yanking on the zippers to their jackets. My thinking is if you take the time to be a bit more gentle and focused it's possible the zippers might not have any problems.

As for nofreerides crotch zipper....not going to go there.........

KM

Couple of years ago I was in the market for a new mesh jacket, found a Fieldsheer at a huge discount. I also heard they run small so I ordered a 5X, normally I took a Mens 2X - 3X depending. It came a few days later, size was between a Med and Large. Still hanging in the closet, never worn, cost to return it was nearly the same as I paid for it.....

Will never order Fieldsheer anything.

Couple of years ago I was in the market for a new mesh jacket, found a Fieldsheer at a huge discount. I also heard they run small so I ordered a 5X, normally I took a Mens 2X - 3X depending. It came a few days later, size was between a Med and Large. Still hanging in the closet, never worn, cost to return it was nearly the same as I paid for it..... Will never order Fieldsheer anything.
Send it to me then. I'll pay shipping...

KM