Reworked Stock Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead

Reaction score
I am wanting a different seat for my FJR and am wondering who has had their stock seat modified and re done for more comfort, such as memory foam and such. I mainly ride solo and am mainly concerned with the front seat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done and where? Also, any pics of a "custom" front stocker would be appreciated.

Thanks,

FNG

I sent my 03' seat back to Sargent and had them replace the stock foam for their "Atomic" foam. I think it cost me a 125.00 (front only) and it was worth every penny. When I traded my 03' for my 05', I "exchanged" the seat off the 03' to my new 05' at point of sale. It's a very affordable way to upgrade your comfort level!

I made a seat cover with slight extra padding. It added several miles to the riding comfort.

crash002.jpg

I sent my 03' seat back to Sargent and had them replace the stock foam for their "Atomic" foam. I think it cost me a 125.00 (front only) and it was worth every penny. When I traded my 03' for my 05', I "exchanged" the seat off the 03' to my new 05' at point of sale. It's a very affordable way to upgrade your comfort level!
Did you make any changes to the seat as far as contouring or is it just a straight foam replacement/add on? I would like to see some pics if you have them.

Thanks!

Did you make any changes to the seat as far as contouring or is it just a straight foam replacement/add on? I would like to see some pics if you have them.

Thanks!
No changes to stock contouring, just straight foam job. They removed all the original crappy foam and replaced it. I think they use different density foam in layers. I'm pretty sure they asked me, but be sure to tell them your weight. Sargent will do whatever mods you request. Go online and check it out. Better yet, give them a call and talk to one of their reps. IIRC I talked to a guy named Rudy who was very helpful.

I sent my seat to Buttbuffer.com. Their work was so comfortable on my Harley, that I did it on the FJR right away. 225 for both front and rear. We're both very happy.

I am wanting a different seat for my FJR and am wondering who has had their stock seat modified and re done for more comfort, such as memory foam and such. I mainly ride solo and am mainly concerned with the front seat. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done and where? Also, any pics of a "custom" front stocker would be appreciated.
Thanks,

FNG
[SIZE=12pt]I reworked my front seat today matter of fact but haven't had a chance to "put it to the test".[/SIZE]

What I did was peel back the stock cover and used an electric steak knife to cut down about 1.75" and reshaped it with a corase file so it's a bit flatter.

I had bought a raw gel pad from JCWhitney and fitted it in also. Pulled the stock cover back over it and restapled. I can barely tell the gel is underneath except for a bulge like a Russel seat, very slight in comparison but I thought I'd leave it and it might be worth it.

Sitting on it feels good and my mod has me about an 1" lower. I also use a Sheepskin sometimes so I think this will work fine, it will probably be Friday before I can "put it to the test".

I also sent my stocker away to Sargeant for reworking. I had them "dish" the front with their atomic foam, shave the rear down and add atomic foam instead of the soft stock crap, recover both in their "Griptex" (which has been discontinued unfortunately), added a colored welt, and sent them the pad off my Garauld backrest to re-cover to match. The wifey and I are both very happy with the results.

Here's a halfway decent pic of it;

2694IMG_2703-med.JPG

If I remember correctly, Sargeant's has a sale during the months of October and November (apparently a slow business time for them) on custom seat work. It was a substantial discount when I had mine done. I considered it a bargain for all they did. Seems to me I paid less than 3 bills for all including return shipping. I'm sure it won't rival a true custom seat, but as I said, it was a huge improvement over stock without blowing the whole toy budget for the season. I can move around quite a bit and be comfortable in multiple positions. I still put a sheepskin on it if the wife and I are doing a real long ride, but I consider it to have been a very good value.

YMMV,

I had my seats, both driver and pillion, reworked by an outfit called Kno-Place

https://www.knoplace.com

They will sell you the gel pads and memory foam and have directions online on how to go about customizing your own seat. I decided to ship them my seats and have them do the installations. I also asked them to shave down the rear by an extra 1/2" so that after the final buildup I would not be slid forward toward the tank quite as much. They re-use your original cover, so the end result is the seat looks almost exactly like it did.

It relieved the hot spots that I used to get on the ends of my sitz bones after around an hour in the seat. My wife finds the modified seat to be 100% comfortable, but she is a much smaller load on her seat than I am on mine. Cost for the job was $125 for just the drivers seat or $175 both seats. Was it worth it? Sure. Is it as good as a Mayer or Russell? No probably not.

Just another option...

i have a spare seat I've been playing with. I've tried 2 different carpet pad densitys, havent found Nirvana yet, but did better then MaMa YaMa.